Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-17-2003, 11:27 PM   #1
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Ricky Davis Shoots at His Own Basket?

In order to get his first career triple double Ricky Davis shot at his own basket and missed so that he could get his tenth rebound. Gotta love the NBA!

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/aldri...d/1525101.html

Tarkus

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 11:30 PM   #2
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Yea, this has been out for awhile. I guess among all the war talk no one cares about a selfish NBA player.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:41 PM   #3
samifan24
Pro Starter

What a moron. I'm glad the kid on Utah fouled him hard. He deserved it. Talk about pathetic.....
Old 03-17-2003, 11:48 PM   #4
bbor
Pro Starter

Funny thing is NOT that he shot at his own basket...but that he could'nt even hit the backboard..LOL

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 01:39 AM   #5
MrBug708
Head Coach

What's even funnier was that it was his 9th rebound, not his tenth

Like Romey said, there is a reason why he plays for Cleveland
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 09:02 AM   #6
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Actually, it would have been his 10th rebound, but Utah's Deshawn Stevenson fouled him before he caught it. That's at least the story I've heard. Pretty classless act by an obvious classless player.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 09:28 AM   #7
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

What a joke. When are people going to learn that you have to earn your records and milestones. A so-called "historic" achievement isn't worth anything unless it's earned the old-fashioned way, not on some pathetic technicality. Anything else is not only selfish, it's insulting to those who came before you.

Oh, sorry, thought this was a thread about Michael Strahan's sack record. My mistake. Carry on.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 09:49 AM   #8
Havok
College Starter

Stuff like that is why i hate the NBA. I was almost happy when our "Dream Team" last year got there asses handed to them 3 times. The rest of the world learns to play Team Basketball, In America its all about yourself.

Kinda sad really
Old 03-18-2003, 10:48 AM   #9
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
What a joke. When are people going to learn that you have to earn your records and milestones. A so-called "historic" achievement isn't worth anything unless it's earned the old-fashioned way, not on some pathetic technicality. Anything else is not only selfish, it's insulting to those who came before you.

Oh, sorry, thought this was a thread about Michael Strahan's sack record. My mistake. Carry on.

I was thinking just that as I read your reply.

Tarkus
Old 03-18-2003, 07:24 PM   #10
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I have seen the highlight of this several times, so I am pretty sure I know what happened. It would have been a rebound, but the NBA declined to give it to him. He definatley pulled the rebound down and took 2 dribbles before DeShawn Stevenson fouled him pretty hard. It is very sad to see this, then after he does it and is at the free throw line he is smiling and laughing. That is poor.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 07:29 PM   #11
John Galt
Pro Starter

It would have been his 10th rebound, but it wasn't because the rule states their must be a shot attempt - the scorer correctly decided their was no shot attempt and thus no rebound. Davis is a moron and he didn't even get his triple-double because he didn't know the rules.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:43 PM   #12
Blackadar
Retired

There's only one way to describe this play:

bush-league
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 07:46 PM   #13
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I heard that it was a violation to do what he did, therefore he shouldn't have even been fouled. Is this true?
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 07:49 PM   #14
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by INDalltheway
I heard that it was a violation to do what he did, therefore he shouldn't have even been fouled. Is this true?

Yep. Rule 5, Section 1 (or something like that) says, paraphrasing, that it is a violation for a player to shoot at the basket he is defending. So as soon as the shot was attempted, the play should have been dead.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 09:03 PM   #15
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Logan
Yep. Rule 5, Section 1 (or something like that) says, paraphrasing, that it is a violation for a player to shoot at the basket he is defending. So as soon as the shot was attempted, the play should have been dead.

This is interesting. So the basket wouldn't count either? I wonder if you could argue this rule on accidental tip ins during rebound attempts?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 10:36 PM   #16
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by panerd
This is interesting. So the basket wouldn't count either? I wonder if you could argue this rule on accidental tip ins during rebound attempts?

Here's the quote from the Aldrige article where I read about it. Note that its a direct quote from the rule book:

Quote:
Fourth, Davis's action showed a lack of knowledge of the rules. Rule 5, Section 1 of the league's official rules states clearly, "It is a violation for a player to attempt a field goal at an opponent's basket. The opposing team will be awarded the ball at the free throw line extended." I'm not saying Davis or any other player should have such minutae committed to memory, but they should have a sense, after tens of thousands of hours of playing ball, of what's right and what's wrong.

I guess the "attempt a field goal" is what would allow the accidental tip to count. It's also possible that there are further rules below this one that would clarify it...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote