Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-08-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
Galaxy
Coordinator

So will A-Rod survive this?

Is he going to be able to play up to his typical level (except in the post-season) with all the hoopla surrounding him now?

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-09-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Is he going to be able to play up to his typical level (except in the off-season) with all the hoopla surronding him now?

Meh...the hoopla is the same. Just a new tune. There will be a new tune in a few months, and another one a few months after that. It appears this is how it will be as long as he is in NY.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:27 PM   #3
Groundhog
Coordinator

Survive this not he will.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:59 PM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

Hard to see the dark side is.

Last edited by sabotai : 07-08-2008 at 11:59 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:11 AM   #5
Jas_lov
College Starter

A-Rod is the best player in baseball. Survive this he will.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:42 AM   #6
molson
General Manager

Didn't the NY Post catch him with some dingy broad last year?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:42 AM   #7
DanGarion
Coordinator

JB?????
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:26 AM   #8
MrBug708
Head Coach

Kobe went through a rape trial and seems to be doing fine
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:27 AM   #9
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Ray Lewis is still getting All Pro mentions.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #10
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm always a little surprised when pro athletes get married before about 35. With all of the travel and their generally immature 'rock star' lifestyles, it just doesn't seem to lend itself to a successful marriage.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:08 AM   #11
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
With all of the travel and their generally immature 'rock star' lifestyles, it just doesn't seem to lend itself to a successful marriage.

Johnny Damon agrees with you.

Quote:
“You know, I’m kind of a wild man,” he said. “I love to have fun, you know. Well, when my wife went into labor, it was kind of a drag. It was taking forever and I had to sit there and wait. But I’m not the kind of person who can sit still for too long, so I went out into the halls looking for a little adventure. Well I found it. I banged 9 nurses during my wife’s 36-hour labor. It was a lot more fun than sitting in that stuffy little room and listening to her complain.”
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:11 AM   #12
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Is he going to be able to play up to his typical level (except in the off-season) with all the hoopla surronding him now?

He'll go on a terrible slump the rest of the season and then hit a clutch 3 run HR in the World Series and then he'll be considered a "True Yankee".

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:13 AM   #13
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Sweet googily moogily! I knew Damon was an ass, but I'd never read that quote before!

At the same time, I have to say those numbers are incredible. 9 nurses in 36 hours? Damn! I gotta think he packaged a couple together at the same time here and there to fit it all in.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 07-09-2008, 08:32 AM   #14
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Sweet googily moogily! I knew Damon was an ass, but I'd never read that quote before!

At the same time, I have to say those numbers are incredible. 9 nurses in 36 hours? Damn! I gotta think he packaged a couple together at the same time here and there to fit it all in.

NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:34 AM   #15
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
JB?????

Wow...I guess I was tired. Fixed it (except for the title).

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-09-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:34 AM   #16
Ksyrup

Oh, that was just the first excerpt I quoted. Here's some more:

Quote:
Damon went on to describe the encounters in graphic detail.

“I got bored in the delivery room so I decided to go for a walk down the hall,” he said. “And you know how it is being a major league ballplayer. There are always plenty of girls available, if you know what I mean. I met the first one as she was wheeling an old unconscious guy down the hall. She said ‘Hey, you’re Johnny Damon from the Royals, right?’ I said ‘Yes’ and we had sex right there. That’s one.”

“Numbers two, three, and four happened simultaneously,” he continued. “They were candy stripers or something, I don’t know. Just a few teenagers. They were by the water fountain I was drinking out of after I banged the first girl. Well, once they realized who I was, we all went right into the bathroom and had a foursome, all while my wife was in labor. It probably sounds cruel, but you have to understand that I can’t be tied down to being a ‘husband’ and ‘father.’ I wanted to live. I wanted to do things like fish, rock climb, wind surf, and commit adultery.”

The rest of the women were also nurses, including the one who was assisting in the delivery of Damon’s first born son.

“She was pretty hot, especially when she was screaming ‘Push! Harder! Harder! Man, that was sexy,” he said. “So I just looked at her, she looked at me, and the next thing you know we were screwing our brains out on the bed next to my wife. My wife was all screaming at me and calling me names. But that’s how she was. She always liked to nag. I finally couldn’t take it anymore and we had to go in a different room. I could still hear her nagging, though, so I had the doctor wheel her bed out to the parking lot.”

And his wife's response:

Quote:
“I think it’s absolutely absurd that he would come out and say those things,” said Vannice. “He’s actually bragging about cheating on me while I was sitting at home with the kids. And that story about the nurse at the hospital? That’s typical Johnny. He started having sex with her on the bed next to me while I was in labor. As you can imagine, I was pissed. I knew Johnny loved women, but he had never taken his obsession this far. This was the nurse that was delivering my baby, for God’s sake. Not only that, she was about 70 years old. I guess he didn’t put that in the book.”
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-09-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #17
MikeVic
Head Coach

I call bullshit on that Damon quote. He's not seen as some super good-looking guy, is he? And I doubt all the nurses knew who he was. Did he go up to every nurse there and say "you complete me" and then average one nurse every four hours in believing him?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:37 AM   #18
MikeVic
Head Coach

What the hell, when he was part of the Royals too? What a freakin' douche. I never saw that quote but I hate him now.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #19
Ksyrup

According to brushback.com, this was all part of his David Letterman appearance to promote that first book. The wife seems to verify the most outrageous part, which is having sex in the bed next to her. Not sure what else could be worse than that...unless she really WAS wheeled out to the parking lot!

Or hell, I can't tell...maybe those are excerpts from the book, and the Letterman thing was different.

http://www.thebrushback.com/damon_full.htm

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-09-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:45 AM   #20
Ksyrup

Well, this particular story might be fake, but it is well known (and admitted by Damon himself) that he is a scumbag and cheated on his wife multiple times. I haven't read the book, so I don't know the particulars. Doesn't much change my opinion of him.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:47 AM   #21
MikeVic
Head Coach

And to think I lovingly referred to him as Baseball Jesus during those bearded times in the playoffs.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #22
Ksyrup

Here, this is from a KC article written as the book was being released:

Quote:
Damon reveals himself as the stereotypical self-indulgent, sex-crazed ballplayer who used women and dumped his wife after finally making it to the big time. Damon writes that he made the decision to divorce his high school sweetheart, Angie Vannice, at the start of the 2002 season. The couple have 5-year-old twins.

After telling her to leave their home near Boston and go back to Orlando, Damon said, Vannice came back against his wishes. At that point, Damon writes, he told her, “ ‘There's no reason for you to be here' … Just to push her buttons I added, ‘I was with three more girls while you were gone.' ”
Old 07-09-2008, 09:24 AM   #23
Ksyrup

Honestly, never read it before now. I've heard the name. I don't really spend much time on the Deadspins of the world. Still, that was just a ridiculous fictional story based in reality. Not sure it changes the fact that Damon is a bastard, which was my only point.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:32 AM   #24
molson
General Manager

Damon's just being honest.

I'd estimate the % of unfaithful husbands in professional sports and the entertainment industry at around 90%.

Last edited by molson : 07-09-2008 at 09:32 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:40 AM   #25
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

I'd estimate the % of unfaithful husbands in professional sports and the entertainment industry at around 90%.

That's fine, but the difference between me thinking Clemens is an ass and not some other, unknown steroid user is that I just don't know the other guy's name. I'll add him to the list when he gets publicly outed. Not to mention, Damon comes off as gloating about it and acting as if he can't help it or that it's his right regardless of his responsibilities as a husband/father, as opposed to being honest in a contrite, "it was a mistake and I wish I hadn't done it" fashion. His kind of honesty doesn't really make me feel any better about the kind of human being he is.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #26
Ksyrup

Yeesh. John Rocker?!

Quote:
A-Rod's women are crawling out of the woodwork, including a musclebound model who up until recently had been dating much-loathed ex-ballplayer John Rocker. Fitness model Alicia Marie called Alex Rodriguez a "sweetheart" and insisted that while they have spent time alone at her apartment, they are just "close friends." Former stripper Candace Houlihan, however, readily admitted to a "two-night stand" with the Rodriguez in 2004, the year the Boston Red Sox won their first World Series in 86 years. "I feel like I reversed the curse," Houlihan joked of her romps with the slugger, who is going through a bitter divorce.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-09-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #27
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Yeesh. John Rocker?!

I like how the article you quoted calls him "the Rodriguez in 2004."

Last edited by MikeVic : 07-09-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #28
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

NBA players are around 99% I believe.....slightly above the average but not 100% douches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #29
MikeVic
Head Coach

A.C. Green for life.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #30
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
NBA players are around 99% I believe.....
Nice work Mrs. Christie.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #31
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I'm so sick of hearing about this guys personal life. Who the hell cares?!?!?!?!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:20 AM   #32
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Nice work Mrs. Christie.

Thats MR. Christie thank you.

Quote:
Old 07-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #33
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
I'm so sick of hearing about this guys personal life. Who the hell cares?!?!?!?!

Thank you! I like to watch them play baseball or whatever sport. As long as they arent killing or raping anyone I could careless who they sleep with.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:41 AM   #34
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think this is coming back to my point though: why do these guys get married? It just doesn't add up to me when you consider what the purpose of marriage is.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #35
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I think this is coming back to my point though: why do these guys get married? It just doesn't add up to me when you consider what the purpose of marriage is.
I honestly think a lot of these guys get married because they've met a woman they like and they want to have kids. I suspect they have an "understanding" with their wife about what the life of a pro athlete is going to be like.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the wife may change her mind and it gets ugly. Or sometimes part of the understanding is "at least be discreet and don't humiliate me".
Old 07-09-2008, 12:33 PM   #36
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

I think that a lot of people (not just athletes) get married because it is what you do. It takes some level of introspection to ask yourself if what you want is what society expects from you. A lot of people lack that introspection and just follow the vague script that life expects of them. And pro athletes are some of the least introspective people in the history of the human race.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:15 PM   #37
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I think that a lot of people (not just athletes) get married because it is what you do. It takes some level of introspection to ask yourself if what you want is what society expects from you. A lot of people lack that introspection and just follow the vague script that life expects of them. And pro athletes are some of the least introspective people in the history of the human race.

Well said.

As far as the original question, I think A-Rod will thrive now that he doesn't have to expend so much energy on being discreet.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #38
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Thank you! I like to watch them play baseball or whatever sport. As long as they arent killing or raping anyone I could careless who they sleep with.

I still point the finger at ESPN Hollywood. Remember that mess? And now Cold Pizza. Who cares about who was dating who, or what clothes they wear, or whatever other shit.

Please tell me the score and some stats.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #39
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

I still point the finger at ESPN Hollywood. Remember that mess? And now Cold Pizza. Who cares about who was dating who, or what clothes they wear, or whatever other shit.

Please tell me the score and some stats.

i also don't give two shits who is doing what with who, where, when, or why. All I care about is are they producing on the field?

ESPN has become such a joke now. Of course it doesn't help when we have like 100 shows on tv every day that report on every stupid rumor and what who is wearing and blah blah blah blah blah.

Quote:
Old 07-10-2008, 08:25 AM   #40
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think he will survive. He may have to take a few more minutes swimming through his money bin ala Scrooge McDuck. But it's what you do when you're worth over a half billion dollars.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:30 AM   #41
Ksyrup

If she can break the pre-nup, his swim through his cash might be a wee bit easier, actually.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:34 AM   #42
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

A-Rod is smart for getting a pre-nup. He might be doing sexy dances as he swims through his money. Heck the guy can eat money if he wanted to.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:57 AM   #43
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I heard he wipes his butt with $100 bills...well that is what ESPN reported.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 07-10-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:48 AM   #44
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
A-Rod is smart for getting a pre-nup. He might be doing sexy dances as he swims through his money. Heck the guy can eat money if he wanted to.

I think he got a post-nup, as oppose to a pre-nup. I don't know the laws of Florida in regards to assets as well as the pre-nup vs. post-nup rules.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:12 PM   #45
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I think he got a post-nup, as oppose to a pre-nup. I don't know the laws of Florida in regards to assets as well as the pre-nup vs. post-nup rules.

If he got a post-nup then he probably will be sub-par at best. After all, look at him in the post-season....

Quote: