Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-27-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Draft pick trading/Future Considerations

I thought I'd open a dialogue on this topic. What are the thoughts related to these issues, both of trading draft picks and future considerations in trades.

I've asked the board of directors also to consider the issue, but wanted to get some feedback from the members in regards to thoughts on either/both of these issues.

Thanks.

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

I have no problem if we implement either of these, but I think there need to be rules in place. One for example may be an owner giving up a future consideration needs to have been with the league for at least 4 seasons (one month). This will increase the probability that an owner will stick around if the trade was a mistake.

Further I think future considerations should be a list of possibilities included in the trade and a date when the possibility will be selected. Not some work around for a future draft pick. I have no problems trading future picks if the owner will likely stick around and if we put a limit on it; but feel it should be stated in the trade rather than listed as a "future consideration".
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I hate complications, so while they were originally implemented to prevent people from making blatant future trades, without hamstringing people, I think I'd just prefer to get rid of future considerations and keep draft pick trading but only of current year picks.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
kaosfere
College Prospect

I personally don't see any problem with draft pick trading. For reasons of disappearance, future considerations can be a problem. Rather than making a minimum member-time requirement, perhaps it might be simpler to state that, say, you can not deal for any more than one season in advance, and that all trades are binding on the team even if it changes hands?

Or, we could do as DC suggests and just ban them outright. I don't strongly object to that, but it seems it might be eliminating a legitimate strategy on the outside chance that it might somehow be abused.
kaosfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:00 PM   #5
graygoose12
H.S. Freshman Team

I agree with DC. Get rid of future picks being traded.
graygoose12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Being a commish of my own fast-paced league (The EHDL now looking for 3 owners, forgive my shamless plug), I can appreciate simplicity.
I would vote for this year draft pick trading only. (despite being a team involved with a futures trade right now)

FOOL- Leduc Bullets

Last edited by ekcut : 08-27-2008 at 06:39 PM.
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

That was the best example of product placement I've seen in a while.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:43 PM   #8
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
Being a commish of my own fast-paced league (The EHDL now looking for 3 owners, forgive my shamless plug), I can appreciate simplicity.
I would vote for this year draft pick trading only. (despite being a team involved with a futures trade right now)

This is a great league being run by ekcut and I will try to win the first championship tonight in dedication to FOOL.
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #9
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
That was the best example of product placement I've seen in a while.

I, and the rest of the owners that make up the Everyday Heroes Dynasty League (A history based league started in 1920 that sims 1 season every two weeks) do not beleive in SPAMing message boards and take offense to that accusation.

That's right...Commo is going for the 1st league title tonight, with only my unstopable Philies standing in his path.

FOOL- Leduc Bullets

Last edited by ekcut : 08-27-2008 at 06:48 PM.
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:47 PM   #10
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Haha

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Good luck tonight, Commo. Bring it home.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:09 PM   #12
muns
Pro Starter

Im going to post my thought here even though I have Pmed em to DC just so nobody can say that my shit isnt out there for everyone to see.

I have been the guy that has used this the most, and I am the guy that has traded the most in this league. I would be in favor of getting rid of trading future draft picks. I do however think draft picks should be allowed to be traded within that years window.

I would be in favor of getting rid of this for a few reasons.

1. It makes DC'S job that much harder, its a pain in the ass to keep track of. I know cause ive had to remind DC every year for the past 3 years what picks that I have.

2. If a pick gets missed somehow, it screws things up and makes it even harder on everyone to keep things stright.

3. If owners do leave, the new guy does get saddled with crap.

4. There is potential for a guy to be called out for doing things "shady" or whatever, when they might not be doing anything wrong, and thats just bad for the league IMO.

So there are my thoughts on the issue.

Last edited by muns : 08-27-2008 at 07:13 PM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #13
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I hate complications, so while they were originally implemented to prevent people from making blatant future trades, without hamstringing people, I think I'd just prefer to get rid of future considerations and keep draft pick trading but only of current year picks.

This is a pretty good statement of my feeling on things. I would also take it one step further and say that I would like to see some sort of rule that would limit the "five picks for a player" sorta deal that we occasionally see. But I would bet not too many people will go with me on that. I am thinking of requiring that the bulk of the value on each side be "real" (players), with an exemption for one pick trades (meaning if only one pick is involved on either side, then nothing further needs to be checked).

Doing that would eliminate the "Ricky Williams" deals that I think are a travesty, but still allow the sensible "toss you a pick for such and such player" types of deal that should be the norm for a pick deal.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote