Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2003, 01:10 PM   #1
bbor
Pro Starter

Smokers!!!

I'm a curious sort...so i ask....

who here smokes?...or used to smoke?...how did you start?...how did you quit?...why did you start?...why did you quit?

I am an ex-smoker.....i am coming up on my 2 year anniverary(hence the thread).

I think i started when i was about 19...which is a really weird age to start...since usually if you can get through high school without smoking...you'd think you would'nt start..

I'm sure i started smoking just so i would have something to do when i drank beer and got hammered.

I smoked until i was 30...and then i was REALLY ready to quit.I hated coughing up a lung every morning(i smoked at least a pack a day)The grennish/brown sludge that i used to launch out of my mouth every morning made me sick.

I always thought that quitting smoking would be the toughest thing that i would ever do...but i have to tell you....i had exactly 1 craving the whole time that i was quitting..it was incredible....

Now i feel much better...i put on a few pounds that i am still fighting to shed...but in the long run...becoming a non-smoker is more heathly than carrying a few extra pounds.

BTW..wierd thing...i still dream about smoking....i guess it is true...you never really get over addictions.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.

bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 01:12 PM   #2
FBPro
College Starter

Never have, never will.....
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 01:13 PM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally posted by FBPro
Never have, never will.....

ditto
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 01:18 PM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

Kodos does not smoke, nor will he ever start.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 01:21 PM   #5
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I think I was the only guy at my high school who had never touched a cigarette.

Still haven't. But then again, I've never touched alcohol either.

Neuqua
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 01:26 PM   #6
moriarty
College Starter

I'm a non-smoker as well. Tried one or two, but never really smoked (we're talking legally right)?
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 01:27 PM   #7
Blade
College Prospect

I only had a brief run-in with smoking. I started when I was 16, in high school, mainly because everyone I worked with smoked. I smoked until I was 19, quitting because basically my girlfriend (now wife) made me quit. Took a number of times for me to quit, but I am now smoke free for over 6 years!

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 01:33 PM   #8
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I quit about 10 months ago. I am still ambushed by cravings, but so far, so good!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 01:35 PM   #9
Havok
College Starter

I started smoking when i was 15.... i smoked for 7 years. I quit last year (Jan. 27). I feel 100% better now that i've quit. I can actually run farther then 50 yards without passing out =)

It wasnt to hard to quit for me. I had tryed 3 times before and failed everytime but last time i got a real bad chest cold and i physically couldn't inhale smoke. So it was the perfect time to quit.

After the first few weeks it was smooth sailing. Best thing i've ever done for myself.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:36 PM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Man, I'm so allergic to smoke that if I ever tried, I'd hack up a lung.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 01:46 PM   #11
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

smoker.

anybody got a light?

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 01:49 PM   #12
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Started smoking when I was 16. Smoked only after smoking pot for awhile. Then I stopped smoking pot and kept smoking cigs. 23 years old now and I have a promise to quit for my wedding in Nov.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 01:53 PM   #13
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel
smoker.

anybody got a light?

I thought you quit
Old 03-20-2003, 01:53 PM   #14
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

43 years, never have, never will.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 01:53 PM   #15
McSweeny
College Starter

smoke the occasional cigar when i've been drinking, and smoke pot a little bit too
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 01:57 PM   #16
tucker342
Pro Starter

Don't smoke, plan not to ever smoke. Pretty much all of my close friends smoke, not cigs, but marijuana
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 01:58 PM   #17
couriers

Started smoking at age 14 in the woods behind my parent’s home. Wasn't much to it other than a friend asking if I wanted one and so curiosity got the best of me. The addiction lasted for nearly 13 years until I woke up one day and said that I had had enough. That was almost 6 years ago. My mother was a huge inspiration for me in regards to quitting. She had smoked for nearly 30 years of her life until she woke up one morning and quite cold turkey. This was over 15 years ago and she is still going strong with her smoke free life.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:59 PM   #18
couriers

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
43 years, never have, never will.

Your profile list your birthdate as 1969. Is this correct or are you really 43?
Old 03-20-2003, 02:02 PM   #19
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I started smoking at 12 and smoked up to three packs a day. I quit at 22. It was hard, but I never regretted it.

What kills me is how people denied it was addictive for so many years. I promise you, it is addictive.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 02:03 PM   #20
GrantDawg

Ps. I do enjoy a cigar once in blue moon. Most of the time while fishing.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:03 PM   #21
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
I thought you quit

I did.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 02:05 PM   #22
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Never smoked cigarettes. Like GrantDawg, I do like to light up a stogie out in a bass boat though.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:06 PM   #23
sabotai
General Manager

Smoed since I was 18. (25 now, so that makes 7 years). But I've been an off-and-on smoker. I smoked for a few years, quit for about a year and a half, broke up with my girlfriend, starting smoking again that day and have been since (even though me and g/f got back together).

I used to smoke a LOT. 2 packs of Marboro Reds a day, but I never had the coughing fits that everyone else seemed to have. But nowadays, I smoke like a pack a week. I'll quit again...one day.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 02:07 PM   #24
Killebrew
H.S. Freshman Team

...or used to smoke?
Me, for 20 years, hardcore too.

...how did you start?
Casual weekend smoker - at bars or parties only. Gradually became addicted.

...how did you quit?
Cold turkey - twice. First time for 10 months, 2nd time for forever (3 years now).

...why did you start?
All the coolest people (bands, acting, school, etc.) I had ever known or met were smoking in 1970's. It was socially acceptable at that time, hard to even imagine that now.

...why did you quit?
I worked in Europe for 3 months and hated the fact I was a slave to my habit - it was impacting my ability to do my job and pursue my career. I hated the feeling of weakness the habit gave me, and I hated the cheat pains, which dissapeared a few weeks after quitting.

Last edited by Killebrew : 03-20-2003 at 02:19 PM.
Killebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 02:17 PM   #25
Raven
College Prospect

I smoke. Been a smoker for 7 years now.

Plan on quitting one day, but haven't been motivated enough to do it. Everytime I think I will quit, i wind up running out of cigarettes and go buy a pack.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 02:22 PM   #26
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally posted by McSweeny
smoke the occasional cigar when i've been drinking, and smoke pot a little bit too

sounds about right
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 02:29 PM   #27
3ric
College Starter

As the two Georgia gentlemen said previously, I do enjoy a cigar on special occasions (maybe once or twice a year).
Old 03-20-2003, 02:59 PM   #28
Schmidty
Coordinator

I don't smoke, and haven't even tried.

Cigarettes have killed too many people I know and love.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:14 PM   #29
KWhit
Coordinator

Cigars only. Probably 1 a week or so.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 03:20 PM   #30
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I wont pass up a good cigar

Other than the occasional cigar once or twice a year, I dont smoke.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 03:23 PM   #31
CAsterling
High School JV

Nicotine Addict.

Quit once for 6 months, but it made me even less tolerant than normal - I got to the point where it was either punch a co-worker, or walk outside and have a cig.
Chose The Cig.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:34 PM   #32
Easy Mac

I was the only one of my friends in High school not to smoke, so it probably would have done me just as good to go ahead and smoke. But I never have.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 05:38 PM   #33
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Re: Smokers!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
I'm a curious sort...so i ask....

who here smokes?...or used to smoke?...how did you start?...how did you quit?...why did you start?...why did you quit?

2 1/2 pk/day here. Started when I was 19 or so, working in an office that had 2 guys & 15 women. Of the group, 13 of the 15 women smoked. I was having a typical high stress 19th year of life, copied the reaction-to-stress/coping mechanism of those around me & been at it ever since.

2 to 2.5 packs a day is about the comfortable level for me, and doesn't sound quite as much when you consider I was up to 4 pks/day at one point years ago.

I haven't quit because I have no desire to quit, it's on a pretty short list of things in life I truly enjoy. I do encourage others to quit however, hoping that law of supply & demand will kick in and drop prices some.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 05:47 PM   #34
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I am 15 and never smoked anything. I am very proud of it, being a Freshman in highschool the majority of the people around you are frequent users. Most people my age though don't smoke cigarettes, they smoke pot. I am a 3 sport athlete so I don't have the time, nor the desire to smoke. Never have, never will (hopefully)
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 06:13 PM   #35
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I'm 14, and will never smoke. (Famous last words) I'm too cheap for it. I just can't imagine spending money on it. Plus playing sports kind of makes me not want to either.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 06:55 PM   #36
meter3
n00b

bbor - you are my hero...I started at 19 and turn 30 on 3/21 and have promised wife and self to quit on birthday. Problem is I like smoking now more then ever **ashing cigarette** and don't know how I am going to do it.

I am going to a hypnotist on saturday at a hotel conference room. They are charging $40 a person and I figure for the cost of one weeks supply of Basic Ultra Lights what the Hell it is worth the try.

How did you quit???? I am dreading my b-day and know that I can't afford both the cost and health risk's(like schmidty both my grandpas died from result of smoking)....but I love it so much.

Help!!!
meter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 07:01 PM   #37
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

When I was 14 I bought a packet of 10 cigarettes with three others for a school trip. I coughed my way through one of them, got caught by a teacher, received 6 strokes of the cane from the headmaster and have never smoked since.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:01 PM   #38
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Smoker. On and off for about 8 years, actually more off than on during that time. Until recently when I was more the casual weekend smoker. But now, the pressures of work and other stressful issues have caused me to do it much more often.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:03 PM   #39
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Mac Howard
When I was 14 I bought a packet of 10 cigarettes with three others for a school trip. I coughed my way through one of them, got caught by a teacher, received 6 strokes of the cane from the headmaster and have never smoked since.

I had the same thing happen to me, but it just made me want to get spanked while I smoke.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:50 PM   #40
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally posted by illinifan999
I'm 14, and will never smoke. (Famous last words) I'm too cheap for it. I just can't imagine spending money on it. Plus playing sports kind of makes me not want to either.

I said the same thing when I was 14. I don't smoke cigarettes (disgusting), but marijuana is highly used in our High School. Cigars for the special occaision.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm, well, just saying.

Last edited by korme : 03-20-2003 at 07:52 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 07:57 PM   #41
Kevin
High School JV

Quit on my 38th birthday just over two years ago. The only people I know who have quit have really wanted to quit, myself included. I quit for a couple of months several times, but couldn't succeed because deep down I didn't want to quit. If you'd like to quit, you probably won't make it. If you're quitting because of someone else like your wife or girlfriend, you probably won't make it. That's not to say you can't start the attempt that way and come to the revelation that you really WANT to quit during the process.

I'm now at 26 months and can't imagine ever having another cigarette. It's true there's no zealot quite like an ex-smoker. That's because you have to be to break the addiction.
Old 03-20-2003, 08:00 PM   #42
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
I said the same thing when I was 14. I don't smoke cigarettes (disgusting), but marijuana is highly used in our High School. Cigars for the special occaision.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm, well, just saying.

same here... i used to never smoke pot and say i wouldn't... smoked once when i was like 17 and i've been enjoying it ever since
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 08:03 PM   #43
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by meter3
bbor - you are my hero...I started at 19 and turn 30 on 3/21 and have promised wife and self to quit on birthday. Problem is I like smoking now more then ever **ashing cigarette** and don't know how I am going to do it.

I am going to a hypnotist on saturday at a hotel conference room. They are charging $40 a person and I figure for the cost of one weeks supply of Basic Ultra Lights what the Hell it is worth the try.

How did you quit???? I am dreading my b-day and know that I can't afford both the cost and health risk's(like schmidty both my grandpas died from result of smoking)....but I love it so much.

Help!!!

My only advice would be....only do it when YOU are ready...not when others want you to do it...you REALLY have to be ready to quit to succeed.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 03-20-2003, 08:26 PM   #44
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Damn, I'm be too afraid to do any thing illegal. If I got caught, my dad would kick my ass, then my mom would kill me.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 10:16 PM   #45
AgPete
College Prospect

Smoked since I was a teenager. I quit for one year once in my early 20's and then picked up the habit again for several years and quit again about six months ago. My advice for any kids picking up smoking: DON'T! It's hard as hell to break the habit, it's expensive as hell now, you'll die early and these days society treats smokers the same way they would a guy wearing a Klu Klux Klan robe.

Another bit of advice, if you do quit for a long time after being a chain smoker, don't ever start up again because it's more difficult to quit long-term the second go around. Trust me.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 11:05 PM   #46
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I started as a freshman in HS - at that particular school, EVERYONE smoked (maybe it was a Canadian thing).

smoked off and on for maybe 6 or 7 years, but I was never addicted (I'd buy a pack, and maybe smoke it all at a party, or maybe they'd go stale before I got halfway through it). Never ever had any sort of physical craving for it - just a "I'm in the mood to". Eventually, I just quit buying the occasional pack. Now, I can't stand the smell (although, I'm still known to bum one occasionally if I'm drinking heavily).

love cigars, but I don't get a lot of opportunities to enjoy them.

Nice smoking story: when my wife was still my girlfriend, she quit smoking as a Christmas present to me (FOFC irony - it was Fido's wife that had gotten her smoking again after a few years of quitting). Anyway, I had been half joking asking her to quit smoking for me for Christmas, and, sure enough, she came in from smoking on Christmas Eve and said that she was all done - she hasn't touched them in the 5 years since.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:19 PM   #47
bbor
Pro Starter

With all these cigar smokers in here....well...y'all must dig Monika Lewinsky eh?

Old 03-20-2003, 11:32 PM   #48
sabotai
General Manager

"Damn, I'm be too afraid to do any thing illegal. If I got caught, my dad would kick my ass, then my mom would kill me."

That's why you start when you're 18, like I did.

Seriously, keep playing sports. When you get to college, play sports. Keep in shape, keep making it something you have to do, that way you fall like I did (stopped playing sports at 18) and start doing this unhealthy crap.

I'm one of those smokers that wishes he never started. (If I didn't, though, I wouldn't have met my current girlfriend, which would have been a major bummer). Now, it's something I enjoy doing. I know it's bad for you, but so are about 100 other things that every does.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you don't start, you won't know what you're missing (and for a lot of people, it's more bad than good), and so you won't want to.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 03:22 AM   #49
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Re: Smokers!!!

I used to smoke and did for around 12 years ....

I started when I was a kid (around 15) and working in a fast food joint, the only way you got a break was to say you needed a smoke - so I started smoking, simple as that.

I gave up around 4 1/2 years ago when my wife was pregnant with our son.

I still get the cravings today and find that my health has generally deteriorated since giving up (contrary to what is popularly told to people) ... I have many more problems with chest complaints now than when I smoked and have also contracted mild asthma (as did my sister when she gave up oddly enough).

Anyone else had similar happenings?

Finally I'd suggest to anyone who doesn't smoke and is thinking of starting not to - being addicted to something is horrible, expensive and stays with you for the rest of your life ... do your self a favour and don't bother.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 03:49 AM   #50
CK#12
n00b

I have smoked for 14 years now.
No intention of quitting as I enjoy it.
Smoke between 10 - 20 a day but was upto 40 when I was at University especially my final year.

I have tried to quit 3 times before but the longest I have lasted is 6 months.
CK#12 is offline   Reply With Quote