Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2003, 04:09 PM   #1
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

M-i-z-

What an awful game, but oh well. As they say a win is a win.

Go big 12.

Edit: I have made division 3!

Last edited by panerd : 03-20-2003 at 04:11 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 04:21 PM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

Z-O-U!

What a thriller. I turned it on as soon as I got off work, and MU was down 6. They immediately went on an 11-0 run. WOO!

The Salukis got raped on that foul call at the basket with the score tied, but then, they got the shot to tie it a few seconds earlier when the Tigers got fouled and were whistled for traveling instead.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 04:27 PM   #3
SportsDino
College Prospect

I think the Salukis were robbed, an obvious offensive charge at the end for the game point (and the only blemish on my bracket... ).
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 04:49 PM   #4
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Too bad you went against the Tigers. I will give you that it was not the best of games by the Tigers, but robbed is a bit much. The technical out of nowhere on Quin, Johnson's phantom offensive foul, and Bryant's travel (which was never replayed) stick out as three calls that equal the one charge. Plus, like sackattack said they had a chance at the end before the "travel" and didn't get it done. I think the big 12 is going to prove how tough a conference they are over the next several days. (Though I wouldn't mind KU going down tonight )
Old 03-20-2003, 04:56 PM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

Salukis were up by 8 on Missouri at one point. If you wanna go to the Dance as Cinderella, you better make sure the slipper fits. If you can't close out an 8 point game with 4 minutes remaining, you've got bigger things to worry about than a non-call on the charge. Shrug.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:14 PM   #6
korme
Go Reds

Rooting for Missouri, I disagree with how the game ended. It was decided by a very questionable call, IMO, and it was more of a charge than a blocking foul I'd say. So. Illinois got hosed, that should have went OT.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 05:17 PM   #7
SackAttack
Head Coach

Shorty - go back 24 seconds, and Mizzou had a 2 point lead and the ball. Bryant, I believe, got fouled from behind, and the ref whistled him for traveling. That (improper) call doesn't get made, and the charge at the net doesn't happen, the clock winds down, Missouri wins 69-67.

The travel gave the Salukis the ball, and they were able to tie it. Shit happened to both teams in the final minute, but to say that the Salukis were robbed is to ignore the other side of the coin a well.

Josh
Old 03-20-2003, 05:35 PM   #8
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

When all is said and done, I think we will cream Marquette. No offense Shorty (especially since you said you are pulling for Mizzou) but Marquette finishes 5th or 6th in the big 12. The Paulidng call was pretty bad but it is still Mizzou vs. Marquette this Saturday.

Last edited by panerd : 03-20-2003 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:41 PM   #9
korme
Go Reds

Oooh, 5th or 6th in BigXII? I don't know about that. C-USA is becoming more and more underrated as far as conferences go. I have Marquette advancing past Mizzou Sat.

We'll see.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:03 PM   #10
bamcgee
High School JV

go KANSAS!
bamcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 06:06 PM   #11
SackAttack
Head Coach

Big 12 is a LOT tougher than people give 'em credit for. I look for MU, OU, and KU to advance in the tourney on guts, and Texas just because they got a sweetheart bracket.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:11 PM   #12
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
Oooh, 5th or 6th in BigXII? I don't know about that. C-USA is becoming more and more underrated as far as conferences go. I have Marquette advancing past Mizzou Sat.

We'll see.

Well unless you think they are better than Oklahoma, Kansas, or Texas that already puts them fourth. And then I would question whether they could take Oklahoma State or Missouri. I guess we will see on Saturday. I remember being lamblasted by a big 10 supporter on another board last year about how the big 12 couldn't hold the big 10's jock. Then let's see Mizzou, the big 12's sixth place team, handed their conference champ a massive thumping. I realize I am jinxing the hell out of Mizzou, but I stopped believing in the jinx long ago. (plus, I will just ignore the posts on Sunday if MU loses. )

Last edited by panerd : 03-20-2003 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:36 PM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

As a KU student it gauls me to day this but if Mizzou can play with their heads removed from their nether regions (unlike today) then they can win that region- they are talented enough. But they have the lack of mental toughness that their coach has so they never seem to play up to potential (the exception being last year at tourney time).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-20-2003 at 06:36 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 08:48 PM   #14
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Go Illinois!!!!
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 08:50 PM   #15
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

And on a serious note. I think Texas is going home in the second round if they play LSU.

And how do they get a Number 1 seed?
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 09:00 PM   #16
korme
Go Reds

Texas is champion in my bracket.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:14 PM   #17
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Texas is champion in my bracket.
THere's a good chance 1-3 in the South go home by Sunday.

SI

Old 03-20-2003, 09:26 PM   #18
SportsDino
College Prospect

After looking at it again and thinking about it, there were some other fouls/nonfouls which can be debated. I don't think that makes the offensive foul excusable, but oh well. I did think the Saluki should win by an 8-10 margin, so they obviously didn't deserve it anyway in the end.

I don't think Texas and Xavier will be ejected by Sunday, but will have to wait and see.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 09:31 PM   #19
Vince
Pro Starter

I personally have Mizzou in the Final Four...so today's game was a bit tense. Anyone else almost shit a brick when the TV station (ESPN I think) accidentally cut to a different game right before the Salukis' throw in at the end?
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 09:36 PM   #20
korme
Go Reds

Yeah, a big ole nasty one, Vince.
Old 03-20-2003, 10:04 PM   #21
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Good ol' Bender shitting bricks on Futurama just because it makes a good illustration.

SI