Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-26-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Where are the NFL's priorities?

I am so sick of the hypocrisim of the NFL.

Matt Bryant, kicker of the Bucs, lost his several month old son unexpectedly this week, and the NFL won't give the Bucs a roster exemption, so they'll either have to cut a guy and sign a kicker, or Bryant has to play. This is horrible when you consider if a guy is suspended the team gets an exemption, but not for a tragedy like this?

If I am Gruden, I "suspend" Bryant with pay so he can be home with his family and not have to feel obligated to kick.

I just wonder where the NFL has their priorities? For a league so worried about their public image, things like this should never happen.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
MikeVic
Head Coach

That's horrible. I agree.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
molson
General Manager

I'm surprised the NFL doesn't have some kind of "bereaved list" like MLB.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

the real tragedy is he lost his child, but the NFL's handling of it is deplorable.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
Travis
Pro Rookie

Hopefully some good comes of this in the sense that the team finds a loophole (such as a suspension with pay) to circumvent the current rules structure and the NFL changes their rules to include some sort of bereavement leave so this never happens to a player again.

This is of course assuming the NFL doesn't act quickly enough to implement something for this weekend which I sincerely hope they do as that's just horrible.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think Matt Bryant should get one free kick at the nuts of the moron who made the final decision not to allow the exemption.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
miami_fan
Coordinator

I guess I will be the asshole in the mix but the NFL priorities seemed to be in the same spot it always has. I can hear the NFL's response now. If they make an exemption for this, then what happens when a guy's wife is giving birth, or his mother passes, and so on and so on. This has been the NFL's MO in the past when it comes to family type issues so at least they are consistent. Usually the player is told to suck it up the same way the rest of the working world does.

All that being said, I hope the NFL does change its policy. In this case as in all the others like it, there comes a point when the GAME is not the most important thing in the world.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:57 PM   #8
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I would imagine roster setup would be a part of the collective bargaining agreement. It certainly needs to be worked out, but I'd be surprised if the NFL could change it without altering the players' contract.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:59 PM   #9
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Usually the player is told to suck it up the same way the rest of the working world does.

What working world do you work in? I'm pretty sure my boss would let me take a couple days off if my infant son died. Maybe you need to think about sending out some resumes...
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 09-26-2008, 02:59 PM   #10
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I think Matt Bryant should get one free kick at the nuts of the moron who made the final decision not to allow the exemption.
ditto
Old 09-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #11
gstelmack
Pro Starter

It's not a question of him getting the time off. It's a question of the team not being able to have a replacement for that one game.

Of course, in these days of salary caps, the NFL could probably drop roster limits entirely...
Old 09-26-2008, 03:09 PM   #12
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Of course, in these days of salary caps, the NFL could probably drop roster limits entirely...

That's actually a really good point. What purpose does a roster limit serve in the NFL?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #13
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Keep the money in the players pockets. By having a cap, teams have to average the money they pay among their players so the current players get more average money now.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:48 PM   #14
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'm surprised the NFL doesn't have some kind of "bereaved list" like MLB.

I know the NHL has a bereavement list; I thought all four sports did?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #15
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Keep the money in the players pockets. By having a cap, teams have to average the money they pay among their players so the current players get more average money now.

So you're saying if there was no limit, teams would have 150 players all making the league minimum?
Old 09-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #16
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I guess I will be the asshole in the mix but the NFL priorities seemed to be in the same spot it always has. I can hear the NFL's response now. If they make an exemption for this, then what happens when a guy's wife is giving birth, or his mother passes, and so on and so on. This has been the NFL's MO in the past when it comes to family type issues so at least they are consistent. Usually the player is told to suck it up the same way the rest of the working world does.

All that being said, I hope the NFL does change its policy. In this case as in all the others like it, there comes a point when the GAME is not the most important thing in the world.

I can definitely understand the NFL's side of this. Whether Bryant plays or not is between him and his team. If he doesn't play, the team might have to reshuffle the roster a little. Big deal. They could also just put him on the practice squad for a week (at the same salary). Presumably, Bryant wouldn't run off to another team in that scenerio.

I see they activated Marcus Hamilton from the practice squad last week. Put him back, bring in a kicker. No biggie.

Bryant should be able to do what he wants without personal penalty. But I don't think the NFL necessarily needs to accomodate the team from a roster perspective in a way they've never done for anyone else.

Last edited by molson : 09-26-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #17
Galaxy
Coordinator

Doesn't the NFL have to follow US laws in regards to this?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:22 PM   #18
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Doesn't the NFL have to follow US laws in regards to this?

What laws?
Old 09-26-2008, 04:42 PM   #19
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I think the NFL sees a huge area for abuse if they allow this.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #20
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I don't know of any laws covering this, but even if their were laws, I am pretty sure that the Antitrust agreement the NFL has would allow them to disregard the law anyhow.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #21
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
What working world do you work in? I'm pretty sure my boss would let me take a couple days off if my infant son died. Maybe you need to think about sending out some resumes...

His boss, Tampa Bay, can give him as much time off as they see fit. That has nothing to do with the NFL. That is the way this type of thing has been handled in the past. I don't agree with it but again, they are consistent.

Wasn't this an issue last year with some WR? Vikings maybe?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:02 PM   #22
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Wasn't this an issue last year with some WR? Vikings maybe?

There was a player who missed a long time for a grandmother's funeral. That was more of a player/team dispute, if I recall.

The more I think about it, the NFL is smart to just stay out of stuff like this. There's flexibility within the roster rules - inactive player lists, practice squads, non-guaranteed contracts. The player and team can work it out without the NFL swooping in and making case-by-case decisions.

Last edited by molson : 09-26-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:36 PM   #23
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Who's Gene Upshaw's replacement? Isn't this something the union should be taking on?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #24
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Looks like Bryant is playing.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:13 PM   #25
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Why? The NFL is not saying that he has to play. While it is a tragedy what happened to his son there are a lot of people out there who don't get a dime if they have to miss work for something like this (and people in those positions generally can't afford to miss that money) so feeling sorry for a pro athlete who either needs to show up for 3 hours to kick a football or maybe not get paid for the week is pretty low on my list of priorities.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #26
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Why? The NFL is not saying that he has to play. While it is a tragedy what happened to his son there are a lot of people out there who don't get a dime if they have to miss work for something like this (and people in those positions generally can't afford to miss that money) so feeling sorry for a pro athlete who either needs to show up for 3 hours to kick a football or maybe not get paid for the week is pretty low on my list of priorities.

The problem is if he decides I cannot play, someone else loses their lively hood because they have to be cut.

Seems like bullshit to me. Guy has enough on his mind already.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:17 PM   #27
DeToxRox
Head Coach

FWIW, from 11:30 am today on PFT

Chris Mortensen of ESPN mentioned moments ago that he has spoken with members of the Competition Committee regarding the current absence of a roster exemption that would have allowed kicker Matt Bryant to take Sunday off in the wake of his infant son’s death without having to sign a new kicker and then, in turn, cutting a current member of the 53-man roster.

Mort says that, because teams have backups at every position except kicker, a change to the rules could come.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:14 PM   #28
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
The problem is if he decides I cannot play, someone else loses their lively hood because they have to be cut.

For one day. The team could just increase his salary by that much when they bring him back Monday, if they're that concerned about it.

PLENTY of ways out of this for the Buccs if Bryant didn't want to play.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:23 PM   #29
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
For one day. The team could just increase his salary by that much when they bring him back Monday, if they're that concerned about it.

PLENTY of ways out of this for the Buccs if Bryant didn't want to play.

Wouldn't the Bucs get a salary cap hit if they release him?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:26 PM   #30
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Wouldn't the Bucs get a salary cap hit if they release him?

Maybe, I guess it would depend who they cut. I imagine the guys at the bottom of the 53-man roster that bounce back and forth between the roster and practice squad don't have much of a signing bonus (The Buccs, and every other NFL team, make low-level moves like this every week).

And again, you can move someone (including Bryant) to the practice squad and pay him his full week's salary.

A change in rules would probably be a good idea (maybe a specific punter/kicker reserve list to cover stuff like this, and minor injuries), but the NFL shouldn't get involved in teams' roster management on a case-by-case basis.

Last edited by molson : 09-28-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #31
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There was a player who missed a long time for a grandmother's funeral. That was more of a player/team dispute, if I recall.

Troy Williamson when he was with the Vikes.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #32
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sigh ... Per PFT

Bengals receiver Chris Henry is back, after his latest suspension for violation of the Personal Conduct Policy.

Hooray?

Henry didn’t count against the 53-man roster while he was suspended, and he won’t count against the active roster this week.

The team announced on Monday that the league has given the Bengals a roster exemption for Henry.

This means that he can rejoin the team without the team having to make a roster move to create a spot for him. And it serves only to highlight the need for a tweak in the rules to allow a team with a player who has suffered a death in his immediate family to have a roster exemption until the player can return.

The issue hit the front burner last week, when the Buccaneers would have been faced with having to cut a player and sign a kicker if Matt Bryant couldn’t play a day after burying his infant son. The situation arguably pressured Bryant to play, given that one of his teammates would have lost his spot on the team if Bryant had taken the week off.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reported on Sunday that the Competition Committee will likely look at this rule in the offseason.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #33
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I can see both sides on this issu.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:24 AM   #34
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

thats beyond messed up
Old 09-30-2008, 10:31 AM   #35
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I just don't see how the Bengals are rewarded for having a repeat offender being given an exemption for this week. Furthermore, how the Bengals themselves, with how big of a joke they have been with player condut, get a break.

It just irks me.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #36
molson
General Manager

Is that really an "exemption"? I thought that under NFL rules, a suspended player didn't count against the 53-man roster (I know the Pats were allowed to replace Kevin Faulk week 1)

The NFL just needs to follow its own rules. If you're allowed to replace a suspended player but not a grieving player, fine, that's how it should be enforced this year, and then it can be taken up in the off-season if you want to change the rule.

This isn't the XFL, you don't change the rules every week as new situations come up.

Last edited by molson : 09-30-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:37 AM   #37
DeToxRox
Head Coach

He isn't suspended anymore though. He had a 4 week suspension.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #38
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

the way I read it is that Henry, who will be activated this week, wont count against the 53 man roster. Thus allowing the Bengals 54 active men.

Yet a guys kid dies and the Bucs arent allowed to sign someone while keeping Bryant on the roster, thus giving them 54 active.

am I missing something?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:42 AM   #39
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
the way I read it is that Henry, who will be activated this week, wont count against the 53 man roster. Thus allowing the Bengals 54 active men.

Yet a guys kid dies and the Bucs arent allowed to sign someone while keeping Bryant on the roster, thus giving them 54 active.

am I missing something?

I missed that, but my point's the same.

If the NFL's just making shit up for this sitaution, it's wrong. If's there's a rule in place, that applies to every team, that allows this exception, then it's fine (no matter what happened with Bryant).
Old 09-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #40
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I missed that, but my point's the same.

If the NFL's just making shit up for this sitaution, it's wrong. If's there's a rule in place, that applies to every team, that allows this exception, then it's fine (no matter what happened with Bryant).

Just because it is the NFL doesnt mean rules shouldn't be circumvented for extreme circumstances.

The guys kid died for christs sake, I am sure most most peoples place of work has a rule that if you dont show up and dont call your fired. and that rule would probably be ignored in an extreme situation like this one.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #41
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
And again, you can move someone (including Bryant) to the practice squad and pay him his full week's salary.
Is he eligible for the practice squad?
Old 09-30-2008, 03:35 PM   #42
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Is he eligible for the practice squad?

The only restriction is that someone can only be put on it a certain number of times (I think 3), and that while they're on it, they can sign with any other team.

Most lower-level guys have split roster/practice squad salaries, but you can pay a guy on the practice squad a full NFL salary if you want.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:39 PM   #43
sabotai
General Manager

You can't just move players to and from the practice squad. You'd have to officially cut him, and then hire him for the practice squad (and I think they have a cap on how much you can pay them.)

EDIT: http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/seah...ce_squad_rules

There are lots of rules for the practice squad, many of which make Bryant ineligible to be placed on it.

Last edited by sabotai : 09-30-2008 at 03:42 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote