Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
Raiders Army
Coordinator

What's the nerdiest thing you do?

So my wife and I are watching Battlestar Galactica (we just watched the first season last Summer and are most of the way through season 3 right now) and I ask my wife if she really likes the show. She says she does, surprisingly enough since she doesn't like Star Wars (!). I asked her if she ever talks to her friends about it and she said no she hasn't.

That got me thinking about how you really like some stuff but don't discuss it with other people for fear of them thinking you're a nerd. On a message board dedicated to a text-sim, I can bet that there are some nerdy things that everyone does here...so what's the nerdiest thing that you do?

Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I am a recognized world champion on summer games for the Atari 2600 platform. My wife mocks me daily.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I can't think of anything else that I haven't already brought up that would make me look nerdier. My likes and hobbies are mine, if someone wants to look down on them.. eh.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 01-21-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
Rizon
Pro Starter

I post here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
BYU 14
Coordinator

I emulate Rick Neilson from Cheaptrick when playing rock band 2. I even flick guitar picks at my wife while she just looks at me with that "I know I married this guy for a reason" look on her face
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I emulate Rick Neilson from Cheaptrick when playing rock band 2. I even flick guitar picks at my wife while she just looks at me with that "I know I married this guy for a reason" look on her face

genius.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Not sure it's real nerdy, but I'm quite heavily into comic books nowadays. Knew next to nothing about them about 18 months ago but I keep digging and reading. My pull list has grown exponentially in the last year.

I don't collect simply to collect in pristine condition, I simply like reading the dang things and I always carry a trade paperback to work for during the lunch break. In fact, I have volume 1 of the Marvel Essential Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man in my desk drawer right next to me that I pull out in my lunch break to read an issue or so.

And no, I don't really admit to my coworkers that I read comic books, so I guess that makes it at least a bit nerdy.

Of course, I used to write a dynasty (as many of you do) about fictional soccer players, heh...

FM

edit to add that I keep track the the books I own with status (read/unread) and books I'd like to get (wishlist) in a big excel spreadsheet. yeah, that part is probably nerdier...

Last edited by FrogMan : 01-21-2009 at 01:09 PM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #8
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
That got me thinking about how you really like some stuff but don't discuss it with other people for fear of them thinking you're a nerd.

In my household being a nerd is celebrated. I have my bookshelf of every Dragonlance book across the room from my Gf's shrine to Yoda/Star Wars. And that is just the tip of the iceberg.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
MikeVic
Head Coach

I guess I rarely talk about text sims. Even with my other video game playing friends, it's kind of hard to describe how fun it is.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #10
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I would say my recent WoW obsession. My wife enjoys mocking me as I do quests with Saldana and chat over my headset.

I tried to explain WoW to some of our friends while we were out Monday, and there really is no way to make it sound cool.

I would also put my Werewolf obsession up there.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
Bad-example
College Starter

I exclusively read Chess Life when I am on the crapper.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #12
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
I post here.

+1
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #13
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I understand and can relate to every nerd joke on The Big Bang Theory
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:28 PM   #14
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I understand and can relate to every nerd joke on The Big Bang Theory

Same here. I often get weird looks from my wife because I laugh and the science and nerd jokes before they get a chance to explain them.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #15
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
Not sure it's real nerdy, but I'm quite heavily into comic books nowadays.

Yes, it is nerdy.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:38 PM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I see a bunch of "trendy" nerd things here. Or at least with regards to the nerd hierarchy- things that are at least on the same level as text-based sports sim.

No, we need to know what you do that's really nerdy!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:38 PM   #17
RendeR
Coordinator

I'm into Warhammer, nuff said.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #18
Icy
Pro Starter

I watch games and follow daily at their websites the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL. I also play football, baseball and hockey videogames.

How is that nerdy would you ask, don't we all do that?

If you lived in Spain, where 99% of men only watch and talk about soccer and the only sport video games played are FIFA or Pro Evolution Socccer, that think that football is just rugby wearing an armor, baseball that sport where fat guys that do not look like sportmen hit a ball with a wood stick, and that hockey is about watching guys boxing over an iced pool, then you would know why i'm a really really nerd for most of the people around me.

You should see our friends faces when we tell them that we won't go on Sunday to have dinner and watch socccer at their house because I'm going to watch American football in my computer. My wife can't stop to ask herself why she had to marry the only Spanish into American Sports

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #19
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Yes, it is nerdy.

yeah, I figured. But as sterlingice said, it's more trendy nerdy, not really big nerdy.

Or maybe it's only the fact that I'm posting this on a sim text message board that make it sound less nerdy.

FM
Old 01-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #20
AgustusM
College Prospect

I listen to TWIT, Security Now and Windows Weekly podcast religiously.

I read mostly on my Kindle

I mostly read books with titles like "where wizards stay up late" or "Active Directory Infrastructure"

come to think of it about the only thing I do that ISN'T geeky is coach and watch sports
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #21
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I read articles about philosophy, math and psychology on Wikipedia, but only if they look short and simple and involve something with a catchy name that I can remember. Then I try to work them into conversations with my wife or friends so I'll seem smart. I usually fail at this.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 01-21-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #22
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I read articles about philosophy, math and psychology on Wikipedia, but only if they look short and simple and involve something with a catchy name that I can remember. Then I try to work them into conversations with my wife or friends so I'll seem smart. I usually fail at this.

You also still play with the rubber WWF Figures from the 1980s.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #23
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I have Powershell, Perl and VMWare infrastructure books laid open on my desk now.
I have several psychology and philosophy books at home for fun reading.
I've recently built my own DVR.

This list goes on and on.

I look more jockish than bookish(from genetics, not activity). I confuse people of all types.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #24
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Wow, major flashback. Rubber Hulk had almost a full head of hair.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #25
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

Wow, I have a bunch of these that I was collecting awhile ago and did actually have story lines set up and kept track of title histories. Made them belts and everything. It was one of the first things I ever put up on the internet as a kid too. Kind of like a dynasty. This was probably back in 1996 or so? I had so much fun with it.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:18 PM   #26
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Technically speaking, they play with me.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:18 PM   #27
MikeVic
Head Coach

Old 01-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #28
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I have all of those. Plus about 50 more and the ring.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #29
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I've recently built my own DVR.

MythTV?
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #30
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Started briefly with Mythbuntu, but was having some issues with my video. Have it on Vista Media(decidedly un-nerdy) now cause it worked out the door.

But I plan on going back to Sage or Myth. I tried Sage as well but it seems they have some compatibility issues with my Hauppage model, so I'm going to wait for them to work it out.

Last edited by jeff061 : 01-21-2009 at 02:23 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #31
MikeVic
Head Coach

I have the ring, but the ropes broke so I had to use some other rubbery rope stuff. I know I had a list somewhere of every LJN figure made, and was missing a few like Andre the Giantand King Harley Race... but had the majority of them. Doubles of some, like four of Dynamie Kid. I did also have that orange Ultimate Warrior.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #32
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I think I had the "steel cage" that went around the ring. Either that or I built one.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #33
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I've taken to trying to collect Lego Star Wars for my son who is set to be born in two months. They're expensive, which only helps with the wife's complaining about it, but I want it to be something cool and special for him to have. So yeah, I've spent about four or five hours a day for the last week or so trying to buy (reasonably) lego star wars sets on E-Bay and other places.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #34
Logan
Head Coach

I had a steel cage and ring thing, but I'm pretty sure that was used with the smaller, plastic wrestling figures (6 inches tall or so)

I was talking about the rubber, maybe foot tall wrestlers.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #35
Subby
lolzcat

I went to Vegas this past summer with Quik and Primelord. We lost about $1,000 betting sports and won it all back and then some at the tables.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #36
MikeVic
Head Coach

I didn't have the cage.

I also had the smaller ring for the "newer" wrestlers, but I never got into those as much.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #37
Subby
lolzcat

oh I thought that said "BALLER"
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 01-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #38
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I went to Vegas this past summer with Quik and Primelord. We lost about $1,000 betting sports and won it all back and then some at the tables.
Quik recently posted about the time he let you roll the dice for him in a craps game, and you won a lot of money.

He didn't mention you by name, but it was pretty strongly implied.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #39
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Subby blew on Quik's cubes
Old 01-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #40
Subby
lolzcat

We did sleep three men to a room. NOT A EUPHEMISM.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:58 PM   #41
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Quik recently posted about the time he let you roll the dice for him in a craps game, and you won a lot of money.

He didn't mention you by name, but it was pretty strongly implied.
Everything would have been fine if Subby's mom hadn't demanded Quik give him half the winnings.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #42
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I imagine the "nerdiest" (though I prefer the term "geekiest") thing I do is still play Dungeons & Dragons and, in particular, go to GenCon every year.

You have to add that onto playing computer games, reading comic books (though only trade paperbacks these days), and the fact that my "office" (or Duchy of Dork, as my wife calls it) is decked out with comic book art and a shelf proudly displaying (a subset) of my action figure collection (of which I still only sort of collect). I am pretty comfortable in my geekdom.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #43
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Just to piggyback on all the wrestling action figure talk, I remember winning my stepdad's weekly office football pool when I was a kid. It netted me about $70, so what did I do? I bought a mini-wrestling ring and some action figures. I don't know how that added up to $70, especially considering I bought it all at a flea market...guess I got ripped off.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #44
Tigercat
College Starter

Anime/manga.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #45
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Wow, where to start.

1. I collect football cards and McFarlane figures
2. I play lots of strategy/text based video games
3. and put my son in them.
4. The last DVD I bought was the Coast series from Britain
5. Dr. Who is my idol.
6. On every flight I take, regardless of time, I have to have 3 items. Dice, paper, and pen. I can entertain myself for hours making up dice games. My dad said I've done it since I was 8. People always ask me what I'm doing.

pretty sure #6 seals the deal.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #46
Groundhog
Coordinator

Hmmm...

Text sims maybe (though not as much any more as 12 months ago)? Reading Science fiction? Japanese history? Listening to prog rock?

I'd say those are the 4 biggies. Outside of that, I'm really not so nerdy.

Last edited by Groundhog : 01-21-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #47
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
6. On every flight I take, regardless of time, I have to have 3 items. Dice, paper, and pen. I can entertain myself for hours making up dice games. My dad said I've done it since I was 8. People always ask me
Do you mumble somthing about Allah, roll the dice, and then smile at them and say "Hey, it's your lucky day!"

Because you should.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #48
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Do you mumble somthing about Allah, roll the dice, and then smile at them and say "Hey, it's your lucky day!"

Because you should.

Great Idea. Combine it with that laptop countdown and it's golden.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #49
rowech
Pro Starter

Sports replays with boardgames. While I'm sure some can appreciate it here, when I explain it to others, the looks I get tell me all I need to know.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #50
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
Not sure it's real nerdy, but I'm quite heavily into comic books nowadays. Knew next to nothing about them about 18 months ago but I keep digging and reading. My pull list has grown exponentially in the last year.

I don't collect simply to collect in pristine condition, I simply like reading the dang things and I always carry a trade paperback to work for during the lunch break. In fact, I have volume 1 of the Marvel Essential Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man in my desk drawer right next to me that I pull out in my lunch break to read an issue or so.

And no, I don't really admit to my coworkers that I read comic books, so I guess that makes it at least a bit nerdy.

Of course, I used to write a dynasty (as many of you do) about fictional soccer players, heh...

FM

edit to add that I keep track the the books I own with status (read/unread) and books I'd like to get (wishlist) in a big excel spreadsheet. yeah, that part is probably nerdier...

Okay, I don't do the spreadsheet but I have thought about it. I'm a lazy nerd.

Probably collecting comic books is the nerdiest thing I do. I don't wear gloves while reading them or anything, but I try to keep them in good condition....then again, I read em on the crapper.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote