Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-31-2003, 03:18 AM   #1
Alf
Pro Starter

Thumbs up NBA - Stackhouse-Hamilton trade : the verdict

So what about those guys saying Washington got the better end of the deal ? Detroit & Washington will likely face in round 1 of the playoffs.

Detroit as the #1 seed and Washington as the #8 seed... interesting first round matchup !

I do not follow those two teams closely but just reading the stats, Hamilton is having a solid 20.2 ppg average - 3.7 rebounds - 2.6 assists just like Stackhouse 22.0 ppg - 3.7 rebounds - 4.6 assists. However, Stackouse is playing 39.6 minutes per game while Hamilton is playing 31.9

Who got the better end of the deal : Pistons, and here are the reasons I can think of :
1- Pistons is the Top seed in the East (Washington is #8)
2- Hamilton (25) is 4 years younger than Stackhouse (29)
3- Hamilton is (for now) making less money than Stackhouse meaning Detroit could still maneuver in the FA market.

Re-read reason 1 as this is the best one.

Alf says : Detroit won on this trade

Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 04:38 AM   #2
Vince
Pro Starter

While I don't think it's fair to say that the Pistons being the top seed in the East being the reason why this trade is good because I have a hard time believing that Hamilton is the reason they are #1...

I agree with you. I think that the Pistons got the better end. 2 & 3 are much better reasons, in my opinion. Hamilton is young and cheap, and providing at or near the same thing.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 04:39 AM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I don't follow basketball much at all. Though, being from the Detroit area (and having lived in DC for a while), I keep an eye on the Pistons and have some knowledge of the Wizards.

I think it will be hard to really judge who got the better of the deal until the play-offs. The Pistons traded Stackhouse mainly for two reasons: 1) He had one year left on his contract and after his all-star quality performance over the last year would demmand the max and 2) he choked, more or less, in the play-offs. Hamilton's contract is up as well at the end of this season, but I think the Pistons feel they will have a better/easier time negotiating with Hamilton. Also, as ALF point out, Hamilton's younger. Given Stack's miserable play-off performance, the Pistons figured they should attempt to replace him with a good scorer who may be a little better come Apri/May.

As for Alf's reason #1 (1st seed vs. 8th seed), it's a very convincing argument, as sports is ultimately a results-based business (see: no matter what you think of say, Your 2002 Stanley Cup Champion Detroit Red Wings, trading away draft picks and youth, they have won 3 cups in 6 years, the trades were worth it). However, being 1st over all in the conference (especially the NBA's Eastern Conference) doesn't mean all that much once the play-offs begin and even if this trade didn't happen (Stackhouse was a Piston and Hamilton a Wizard), based on the prior year and the over all talent level on the respective teams, I doubt much would have changed. Pistons would still likely be a top seed and the Wizards scrapping for a low seed.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 06:25 AM   #4
Bee
Pro Starter

I think both teams won. Hamilton was a better fit in Detroit and Stackhouse made the Wizards better this year than Hamilton would have. The Wizards would have let either guy go after this season, so the age and contract doesn't really enter into it IMO.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 03:14 PM   #5
Alf
Pro Starter

Little update : Washington isn't even making the playoffs, so maybe they would have been on a better lottery position with Hamilton (worse regular season results)
Old 04-12-2003, 03:28 PM   #6
The_herd
College Starter

I think the Pistons got the better of this one. Stackhouse is a guy that dominates the ball, that doesn't fit with the way detroit plays, however hamilton is playing great with his new team. I don't think Stackhouse helped the team at all really, I think they would be in the same place with Hamilton, Stackhouse and Jordan don't work well together at all. While Detroit has been playing almost ideal team ball, Jordan and Stackhouse have been clashing on the court all season.

But the real place Detoit wins is in Cap flexibility, Stackhouse is a free agent and is gonna want a ton of money, when Hamilton becomes a FA, he's not gonna command anywhere near the cash Stack is gonna want.

So in the end Detroit got a player that fits perfectly into their style of play, dumped a big salary, and didn't miss a beat. Washington thought Stackhouse would get them into the playoffs, he didn't, now they have to hope that he resigns, or they come out with nothing to show. Personally, I think its pretty clear who won.

Last edited by The_herd : 04-12-2003 at 03:30 PM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 06:57 PM   #7
Iceberg
H.S. Freshman Team

We all should have known who won as soon as the deal went down. If the Wizards are involved in the transaction someone else wins. Look at this list of ex-Wizards and tell me its not an impressive group of players: Chris Webber, Rasheed Wallace, Richard Hamilton, Ben Wallace, Juwan Howard. If Jordan were on a team with those guys it would be all over for the rest of the league. The Wizards are cursed.
Iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 02:49 AM   #8
Alf
Pro Starter

You can had Mitch Richmond. Was'nt he part of the Webber trade ?
Old 04-13-2003, 10:50 AM   #9
Iceberg
H.S. Freshman Team

Yeah he was but he wasnt someone who we gave up and then became or continued being an all-star. He was the sad result of giving up one of the NBA's brightest young stars and getting two over the hill vets in return.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:40 AM   #10
cmp
Pro Rookie

Detroit easily got the better deal here. I would much rather have a guy like Hamilton rather then Stackhouse. And Hamilton will be a restricted free agent so Detroit can match any offer he gets.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 11:43 AM   #11
Havok
College Starter

Wizards are kings of giving away talent. Its been hard to watch

Tom Gugliata (sp?)

Rashed Wallace

Chris Webber (we didnt draft him)

Juan Howard

BEN WALLACE!!!! (Best dam Defender/Reboundering in the league!!)

and any more.......

Sucks to be a Wizards fan

Last edited by Havok : 04-13-2003 at 11:44 AM.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 12:37 PM   #12
Iceberg
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Havok

Sucks to be a Wizards fan

hey at least we have the terps
Old 06-03-2004, 04:17 PM   #13
Alf
Pro Starter

bump.

Funny note is Havok mentionning Ben Wallace and even funnier is the Rasheed mentionning