Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-31-2003, 05:10 PM   #1
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Well to lighten the mood alittle bit

This is a interview Glenn did with Cane's rival.com site

UM cornerback Glenn Sharpe will live on in highlight reels (or lowlight reels, depending on your point of view) that will show the play on which he was whistled for a questionable late pass interference call that allowed Ohio State to go on to win the national title.

Sharpe says he’s watched the replay only three times since the game was played, and that those three viewings were more than enough.

“That’s about it – I don’t like to keep replaying it and watching it over and over because that’s in the past, it’s not going to do any good now,” Sharpe said. “When I looked at the play those three times, I didn’t see any sign of pass interference as well as my teammates, coaches and the community and my friends around me outside of football didn’t see anything (as far as a penalty). So I don’t think I did anything wrong.”

Sharpe, like the Hurricanes that rushed the field in celebration before the flag was thrown, thought the Canes had won another national title.

“Everybody thought it was over, me especially,” Sharpe said. “I thought I made a good play, helped my team win the game and thought it was over.”

Nobody blames Sharpe for the eventual UM loss to Ohio State, of course.

He says he’s received plenty of encouragement from teammates and coaches in the aftermath of the game.

“On the way home they told me it was a bad call, that I did my job, did what I had to do – played tough, physical ball,” Sharpe said. “And that’s the way I took it.”

While many say that play cost the Hurricanes a national championship, Sharpe chooses not to see it that way.

“No, I don’t think the play cost us a national championship,” he said. “We played a hard-fought game, just were unlucky we didn’t win.”

Go to an Internet search engine and type in `Glenn Sharpe’ and `Pass Interference,’ and several hundred relevant hits immediately pop up – including some that somehow are in different languages.

But Sharpe says he would change nothing about the way he played Ohio State receiver Chris Gamble.

It was just a call that went against him.

“That particular play, there’s nothing I could have done better,” he said. “I did everything my coach told me to do. I did my job.”

Thats for all the guys wondering hows he doing after the play Skydog if this is illegal please feel free to lock or delete this thread.

noop

Noop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 05:22 PM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

Glad he hasn't let the bad call get to him...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 06:37 PM   #3
Swaggs
Coordinator

That play still makes me mad.

On the bright side, how about our very own Huve playing meaningful time for the University of Miami as a true freshman?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 06:41 PM   #4
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Swaggs
That play still makes me mad.

On the bright side, how about our very own Huve playing meaningful time for the University of Miami as a true freshman?

true

noop
Old 05-31-2003, 07:55 PM   #5
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

bump
Old 06-01-2003, 09:34 AM   #6
tucker342
Pro Starter

at least he's doing well...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 10:25 AM   #7
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Good for huve. Look forward to watching him play next year.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 12:07 PM   #8
Kodos
Resident Alien

Good for Huve. He got screwed on national television, but is keeping his head up with a great attitude. In my mind, Miami is the champion.

Edit: Before OSU fans get pissed, I am not trying to detract from Ohio State's performance. They played a great game. I just think that the call was wrong, and that it cost Miami the championship.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-01-2003 at 12:15 PM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 12:09 PM   #9
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Noop you rule. Did you ever meet Aaron Moser?
Old 06-01-2003, 01:46 PM   #10
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Since its 4th and goal, and in overtime, all rules should be thrown out?
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 04:32 PM   #11
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ardent enthusiast
Noop you rule. Did you ever meet Aaron Moser?

No I haven't meet him doesn't he run track or something?

Balldog its the championship game a ref shouldn't decide the outcome of the game. But he did after letting tell coach stoops he'll just let the players play and will let them decide. Anyway truth be told I know why Miami is so good and will remain that way, they don't let that lost shake them. Already they are talking about next season saying they will make up for that lost. To all Ohio State fans that was the greatest championship game i ever saw and you guys earned that win period your champs. Enjoy it for now because next season is fast approaching...

P.S. Florida State should have beat them and did beat them but they didn't win on the scoreboard just a moral victory.

noop
Old 06-01-2003, 05:34 PM   #12
TroyF
Coordinator

Good for Glenn, but I don't think he got screwed. I thought the right call was made at the time and still do.

After watching him play in the game, I don't doubt this kid will be a great, great college player.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 11:47 PM   #13
Craptacular
College Starter

Thanks for bringing back horrible memories.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 12:16 AM   #14
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Balldog
Since its 4th and goal, and in overtime, all rules should be thrown out?

No. Simply put the correct call should have been made and the game should have been over.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 12:49 AM   #15
TroyF
Coordinator

The correct call was made. Of course, it never gets to OT if they call the rules the way they should have been called in regulation and don't allow the Miami player to nearly rip the jersey off of the Ohio State player either. . .

No need to get into it again. I've heard many intelligent people discuss and debate the topic to a near standstill. If it was close enough to where 50% of the people feel it was good and 50% feel it was bad, you have to deal with it and move on.

It seems like Glenn is over it and is ready for a big year. I wish him well.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 06:25 AM   #16
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally posted by Noop
No I haven't meet him doesn't he run track or something?

Balldog its the championship game a ref shouldn't decide the outcome of the game. But he did after letting tell coach stoops he'll just let the players play and will let them decide. Anyway truth be told I know why Miami is so good and will remain that way, they don't let that lost shake them. Already they are talking about next season saying they will make up for that lost. To all Ohio State fans that was the greatest championship game i ever saw and you guys earned that win period your champs. Enjoy it for now because next season is fast approaching...

P.S. Florida State should have beat them and did beat them but they didn't win on the scoreboard just a moral victory.

noop

Aaron Moser ran track and played a lot of special teams for the Hurricanes. He finished a year ahead of the National Championship year. #26 in your program, I believe.

He went to my high school in MO.