Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm weak

So my wife finds a stray that somehow got locked up in our storage shed one morning and its immediately obvious that it was dropped off at some point. No clue how long it had been wandering around, but it was starving, had a flea collar, was declawed, completely comfortable around dogs, and it was apparent that it was a house cat since it tried to get inside every time we opened the door.

I decide to feed it and it stuck around. I started asking the neighbors if it was theirs or belonged to anyone they know. Nothing. After about 5 days of this we decide it really needs to go to an animal shelter since we didn't know where it had been, it was declawed and thus really couldn't take care of itself that well, and I'm just not a fan of long-haired cats. Not to mention I really didn't have any interest in owning a pet right now anyways.

My son and I took it to the shelter today and they took it in with no problems. Then we start looking around at the cats and then the dogs. I notice that there's a very large number of pit bulls there. I guess people get them, end up moving, and finding out their apartments or whatever don't accept 'vicious animals'. It was pretty sad to see at least 20% of the dogs there were pit bulls since I've owned a couple before and I'm somewhat partial to them.

We've haven't had a pet since my son was born. I grew up with all sorts of dogs and cats, though, and my wife had them throughout her childhood as well. He starts looking at kittens and gets the sad face. Then, my weakness begins to creep in. I text back and forth with my wife for a few minutes and the next thing I know I'm walking out of the Humane Society with a new 2 month old kitten.

I still feel terrible for not keeping the other cat, but it wasn't a good fit with the long hair. The new kitten has already taken to the place. There was no hiding or uneasiness. He essentially owns the place after spending less than 3 hours here.

7+ years with no pets gone after one trip to the Humane Society.

Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Bringing a kid somewhere like that is just asking for it
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
SackAttack
Head Coach

If you had no pets for 7+ years, how did you know the stray locked in your storage shed was completely comfortable around dogs?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Comey
College Starter

He's not seven years old.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
Comey
College Starter

Congrats on the kitten, by the way. I hated cats until my dad brought one home. Then I never said I'd own one until my ex-wife and I got one a week before our wedding.

Now my girlfriend and I have a brother and sister...have had them for a bit over a year now. They're inseparable and are the most easy-going cats I've ever met.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
If you had no pets for 7+ years, how did you know the stray locked in your storage shed was completely comfortable around dogs?

Somewhat funny story. My neighbor has a 200lb mastiff and some little pug mix of some sort. I went over to let her know that there was a stray wandering around our house and I wanted to give her a heads up so that her 3 small kids didn't end up seeing a cat getting eaten by a Mastiff. Turns out the cat was there earlier that morning after the wife let her out.

The neighbor said she opened the door that morning to let the dogs out into the yard and saw the cat and just thought "oh shit". The Mastiff ran straight for it, stopped, and started jumping around trying to get the cat to play. The cat let it chase her around for a bit as they played and the neighbor said a bit later she found the cat in her house (she leaves the door cracked for them to come back in when they're done outside), eating from the dog dish, while the Mastiff sat right next to her watching her eat. Apparently he brought a friend home.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:59 AM   #7
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

While I'm disappointed you didn't keep the stray you found in your garage, as it would have made for a better story, I'm glad you adopted a pet from a shelter rather than buying some inbred animal from some slimy slave trader.

The dogs and cats I've adopted throughout my life have all been rescued from shelters (forgetting the newborn kitten I found on a neighbors lawn), and they've all been absolutely wonderful, loving pets.

ADOPT!ADOPT!ADOPT!

Last edited by Karlifornia : 07-30-2009 at 03:59 AM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #8
dervack
College Prospect

Speaking of adopting. I have 4 kittens that need a home in the western/southwestern burbs of Chicago if anyone needs one. They are 3 weeks today and will be looking for homes for them in 3 weeks and I don't want to take them to a shelter.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #9
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

heh, I'm on my way to the Humane society . Most likely bringing home 2 puppies!
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:44 PM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

A couple of days ago, I get ready to head to work when I hear a noise in my garage, I look inside a wheel barrel we have leaning against the wall and two puppies are looking at me.

There had been a mother dog grabbing food from our garage as we have adopted two neighborhood labs who were left behind when the lady down the street was evicted. I'm assuming they are hers, but I haven't seen her in at least 4-5 days. I guess she figured they could at least eat and drink water .

The black one is gone as my sister in law took him, the other one is brown with a black snout and so far has been sleeping with my kids and enjoying life. He has been very good about going to the bathroom outside so far.

I told my wife if she doesn't find a home, I'd have to really think about saying yes to keeping him as we also have 3 indoor dogs and two cats.

It's a regular petting zoo around here!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:53 PM   #11
Lorena
Unregistered

That's really, really cool Atocep!!
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:54 PM   #12
Lorena
Unregistered

dola,

This thread is useless w/out pics
Old 07-31-2009, 07:32 PM   #13
Atocep
Coordinator

He's a Siamese-mix, which you'd can tell from the markings and would definitely notice from his meow. Here he is sleeping on my desk last night. There was no timid/hiding phase with him. As soon as he got out of the carrier he owned the house and he spent the first day exploring/playing with really no sleep at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3773.jpg (171.4 KB, 60 views)
Old 07-31-2009, 07:47 PM   #14
Lorena
Unregistered

Aww, how adorable!!
Old 07-31-2009, 07:53 PM   #15
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

What an adorable kitten!

I hope that the shelter finds the home of the stray you brought in. What did you name him (did I miss that detail?)?

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:23 PM   #16
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
While I'm disappointed you didn't keep the stray you found in your garage, as it would have made for a better story, I'm glad you adopted a pet from a shelter rather than buying some inbred animal from some slimy slave trader.

The dogs and cats I've adopted throughout my life have all been rescued from shelters (forgetting the newborn kitten I found on a neighbors lawn), and they've all been absolutely wonderful, loving pets.

ADOPT!ADOPT!ADOPT!

+1 million.

Adopted once, and I can confidently say I will adopt forever. I didn't get mine from a shelter, but it was from a group that specifically took in unwanted/stray beagles. My dog was found in Maryland with no color and gigantic cuts along where his ears met his head. He was brought in and given to this group who then tried to find him a home.

But since he was old (and rather overweight), no one wanted him and it took THREE YEARS for someone (us) to give him a home.

It honestly made the whole experience better, I think. I obviously love puppies a ton, but just can't support pet stores that buy their dogs from puppy mills and then probably euthanize them when they don't sell after a certain amount of time. I'm so happy that I didn't give them my money and brought home an absolutely amazing dog that was unwanted.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:23 PM   #17
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
He's a Siamese-mix, which you'd can tell from the markings and would definitely notice from his meow. Here he is sleeping on my desk last night. There was no timid/hiding phase with him. As soon as he got out of the carrier he owned the house and he spent the first day exploring/playing with really no sleep at all.

So cute!
Old 07-31-2009, 10:00 PM   #18
Atocep
Coordinator

No name for him yet.

I had decided awhile back that if we ever get a pet he'd come from a shelter. Just visiting those places is pretty tough. I saw a what looked to be a 8+ year old collie and the reason it was the there was the owner had died. I saw a good number of pit bulls. Probably the worst was when I passed a cage and saw a dog that just looked sad. He was standing at the back of his cage just staring at the wall and I then noticed a letter left by the family that had to give him up explaining why they had to give him up, how good of a dog he is, what he likes to do, ect. Making it even sadder was the fact that his name was Happy.

Adopting from the shelter here is a no-brainer. For $98 I got a kitten that has been neutered, has all of his shots up until he's 3 months old, a flea/heartworm treatment, a large bag of food, a coupon for another free bag of food, 14 days of free shelter, a free checkup at one of 6 vets, and $500 of treatments at the same vet for free.

I'd still recommend checking shelters if you're dead-set on a pure-bread. The shelter I was at had several different types of abandoned pure-bread dogs there looking for a home.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:02 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just visiting those places is pretty tough.

Amen.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:05 PM   #20
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

not a threadjack but just updating our status here also, We went to the Humane Society, but didn't get a puppy yet, We are gonna wait 2 weeks and then come back. The cool news is that we are definitely getting 2 puppies from them instead of buying one off of my GF's co worker, I convinced her adopting from the Humane Society is morally better and we can feel better about it.

And the Humane Society is offering BOGO on puppies! haha so its 2 puppies for 75 bucks. Also they are already chipped electronically, and have all there shots, if not they give you coupons for them. can't go wrong there.

Last edited by k0ruptr : 07-31-2009 at 10:07 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:16 PM   #21
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I'd still recommend checking shelters if you're dead-set on a pure-bread. The shelter I was at had several different types of abandoned pure-bread dogs there looking for a home.

Definitely true. Also, there a lots of adoption groups like the people I got my beagle from that find homes for specific breeds.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:17 PM   #22
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Definitely true. Also, there a lots of adoption groups like the people I got my beagle from that find homes for specific breeds.

And the same holds true for a number of cat breeds as well. I know the Atlanta area has a good Persian rescue group just as one example.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:25 PM   #23
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

We're going on our sixteenth year with a cat we got from the Animal Rescue League in Salem, MA. Congrats Atocep.