Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-07-2009, 10:43 PM   #1
RendeR
Coordinator

Who takes a flyer on Clausen?

ND QB Clausen is entering the 2010 draft, who takes a chance on him if anyone?

RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Why wouldn't a team take a flyer on him? He'll go in the 1st round, easy.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
RendeR
Coordinator

I don't see the skills that everyone else seems to then. He's not calm and cool under pressure, he makes bad decisions at critical moments and I didn't see anything special in his throws, no special touch, no overwhelming strength or accuracy.

Whose gonna throw a first rounder pick at that type of player?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
ND QB Clausen is entering the 2010 draft, who takes a chance on him if anyone?

Played in a pro system and put up numbers. QB draft isn't currently looking all that amazing, so he'll get looks. He would certainly get taken before Tebow. If Weis goes to a place that needs a QB, it would be vastly assumed by me and many that the team would grab him.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #5
RendeR
Coordinator

I can see the wies connection, that makes sense. But unless my team was desperate for a starting QB I'd probably not look twice at Clausen.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #6
Galaxy
Coordinator

Isn't Clausen consider a top ten pick?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:59 PM   #7
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Isn't Clausen consider a top ten pick?

Thats what some shows have been saying and why I posted the question. I just don't see the talent they seem to see. But hey I'm not getting paid to build up someone's draft status either so....
Old 12-07-2009, 11:03 PM   #8
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

What QBs do you like better than Clausen?
Old 12-07-2009, 11:05 PM   #9
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
QB draft isn't currently looking all that amazing, so he'll get looks.

I think it depends on how McCoy, Bradford, Tebow, and if, Locker, comes out. Throw in Clausen and an interesting player in the quarterback out of Central Michigan, I don't think it will be a horrible draft for QBs.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:05 PM   #10
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I don't see the skills that everyone else seems to then. He's not calm and cool under pressure, he makes bad decisions at critical moments and I didn't see anything special in his throws, no special touch, no overwhelming strength or accuracy.

Whose gonna throw a first rounder pick at that type of player?

Yeah, 4 INT's in 425 pass attempts is an indicator of making bad decisions.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:06 PM   #11
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I really hope Clausen coming out pushes Jake to stay another year.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #12
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think it depends on how McCoy, Bradford, Tebow, and if, Locker, comes out. Throw in Clausen and an interesting player in the quarterback out of Central Michigan, I don't think it will be a horrible draft for QBs.

Yeah, I don't know how anyone could look at this draft and say it looks like a poor one for QBs. That's assuming that some underclassmen who are thought will go pro actually do.

Also, not sure what exactly is wrong with Clausen. Looks like a top two rounds type to me.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #13
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

I'm not arguing his stats, I'm just sayin what I see when I watch the games. When games were on the line I just never saw the "smart" play from him. I saw a lot of "I'm going to make this happen" type of plays, I saw a lot of rather panicy reactions. I never got a feeling of confidence watching him run the offense.

I just get the feeling he's another "all hype no hope" kinda guy.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:16 PM   #14
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Yeah, I don't know how anyone could look at this draft and say it looks like a poor one for QBs. That's assuming that some underclassmen who are thought will go pro actually do.

Also, not sure what exactly is wrong with Clausen. Looks like a top two rounds type to me.

And don't get me entirely wrong here, I can definitely see a team who has real issues at QB taking him mid-late round 2 maybe. But everyone on TV and the radio seems to think he's a top 10 draft choice and that, to me is utter idiocy. He's not THAT guy based on watching him play.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #15
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Stats don't lie. Guys who make poor decisions throw a lot more than 4 picks in a season. Plus he went from 17 picks to 4 which means he has the ability to learn and progress.

I also heard today that Weis said he didn't make one wrong read all season, and his INT number would indicate that is correct. They also said 3 of the 4 INT's were on tipped passes.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #16
Swaggs
Coordinator

He'll be a top 15 pick. He is an excellent quarterback that played on a team with no offense. Pretty much any team that does not already have a franchise quarterback (or took a quarterback in the first round last season) will be interested.

I'd think the Redskins, Rams, Browns, or Bills will all give he and Bradford a long look, with teams like the Oakland, Houston, Seattle, San Francisco, and Carolina potentially doing likewise if their QB situations do not resolve themselves this season.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #17
bigmike75
n00b

Is it just me or is this draft loaded? Even if the talent that's in it doesn't translate to NFL success there's at least a lot of talent to make the draft process interesting...Okay let me preface this...I am not a ND fan..Is Golden Tate not completely explosive or what? Like Percy Harvin, but not a hybrid...Just a really really explosive wideout??? Also Suh from Nebraska has got to go first he's a centerpiece.
bigmike75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:21 PM   #18
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
He'll be a top 15 pick. He is an excellent quarterback that played on a team with no offense. Pretty much any team that does not already have a franchise quarterback (or took a quarterback in the first round last season) will be interested.

I'd think the Redskins, Rams, Browns, or Bills will all give he and Bradford a long look, with teams like the Oakland, Houston, Seattle, San Francisco, and Carolina potentially doing likewise if their QB situations do not resolve themselves this season.

Actually this makes me realize just how many teams do in fact need a QB so I suppose the high projections make more sense that way. I guess I put a lot more stock in how secure I feel with a guy than what his stats tell me.

I was never a big fan of Matt hasselebeck either but he took his team to a super bowl. *shrugs*
Old 12-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #19
Swaggs
Coordinator

I meant to say that he played on a team with no defense, obviously.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:27 PM   #20
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike75 View Post
Is it just me or is this draft loaded? Even if the talent that's in it doesn't translate to NFL success there's at least a lot of talent to make the draft process interesting...Okay let me preface this...I am not a ND fan..Is Golden Tate not completely explosive or what? Like Percy Harvin, but not a hybrid...Just a really really explosive wideout??? Also Suh from Nebraska has got to go first he's a centerpiece.

I think it is a much, much more star-studded and probably better draft than we have seen the last few seasons. Unless Tebow wins the Heisman this season, there will be three Heisman winners (Tebow, Bradford, and 2009 winner), along with (or including) Colt McCoy, Claussen and probably Locker at QB alone.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:27 PM   #21
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
2 of which went off receivers hands, and 1 off the numbers on his back when he didn't turn (Floyd-Navy). Just like 68% completion percentage is a bad indicator of accuracy.

He definitely did have good receivers who won a lot of jump balls on deep balls (although that is similar to Tom Brady and I imagine most other NFL QBs), and could bust like any top QB, but he was more accurate as a freshman coming off shoulder surgery and playing on the worst offensive team in the country than Brady Quinn was his senior season (numbers back it up - 62%). Plus he's already played behind a terrible offensive line on a terrible team (2007 ND, kind of 2008 ND), been the catalyst in a rebuilding process and endured the media exposure/pressure of being a "franchise" savior. Also ND's run a (possibly over-complicated for the college game) pro-style offense, unlike Tebow, Locker, and to a lesser extent, McCoy. He may not have the potential of a Locker, or look as good behind a perfect O-Line as Bradford does, but he's the most NFL-ready QB in the draft.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-07-2009 at 11:31 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:29 PM   #22
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I'm not saying it's horrible draft for QBs. Without Clausen and currently Locker, you are looking at the big names being McCoy(padded stats against lesser teams, almost brain farted away a chance at the title), Bradford(who spent much of the year injured), Tebow(wildcat QB at best). I do think LeFevour(CMU) will be an interesting pick for whoever gets him. I think Clausen looks at what is currently out there and figures he likes his odds. If Locker comes out, it does become a rather solid QB draft and somebody like Tebow drops even further down.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #23
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Teams are also going to put a ton of stock in the fact he was coached by Weis.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #24
bigmike75
n00b

To me to not acknowledge the ability of Tate is to do so at your own peril in this draft...This is gonna be a really entertaining draft and I think 1-32 you can pick up somebody who is gonna be an impact player on your team..Good stuff
Old 12-07-2009, 11:32 PM   #25
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

I think if he comes out the Seahawks try and grab Locker.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:42 PM   #26
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
To me to not acknowledge the ability of Tate is to do so at your own peril in this draft...This is gonna be a really entertaining draft and I think 1-32 you can pick up somebody who is gonna be an impact player on your team..Good stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Tate from todays press conference
On where he expects to be drafted:

"Yeah, I've talked with a few people, and I think they predict me to go between the first and the seventh round, so somewhere between there. But I'm not sure. I'm just going to start working towards being up there."

Old 12-07-2009, 11:43 PM   #27
Atocep
Coordinator

Clausen will be the 1st QB taken in the draft and is a better prospect than Quinn was. I think he has the potential to be an above average-good starting QB.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:43 PM   #28
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Mallet, Snead, LaFavour some others. Is Pike an eligible prospect? Is the kid at Miami a redshirt sophomore? Remember, no sal cap this year and expected CBA by the 2011 draft, so more guys I probably going to make the jump this season than usual.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #29
Atocep
Coordinator

He was the best QB I saw play this year.

Last edited by Atocep : 12-07-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #30
Swaggs
Coordinator

I could see the Redskins drafting Clausen and then giving Weis a huge pile of money to be their OC.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #31
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Mallet, Snead, LaFavour some others. Is Pike an eligible prospect? Is the kid at Miami a redshirt sophomore? Remember, no sal cap this year and expected CBA by the 2011 draft, so more guys I probably going to make the jump this season than usual.

Jacory is a true Sophomore.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #32
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
He was the best QB I saw play this year.

Who, Clausen?

Old 12-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #33
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Jacory is a true Sophomore.

Too bad for Jacory then.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #34
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Who, Clausen?

Yes. I didn't see a better QB. Although it's a pretty weak year for quarterbacks.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #35
Groundhog
Coordinator

The strike rate for high-1st rounder QBs is amazingly low. If I were a GM I'd be drafting for a safer position in the 1st round and pick my QBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Hell of a lot less pressure for QBs taken with those picks.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #36
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes. I didn't see a better QB. Although it's a pretty weak year for quarterbacks.

Man, you must not have seen Barkley. He's the bestest.

Signed, Petey.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:48 PM   #37
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think Mallett and Snead would both benefit by sticking around another year. In a different season (like the past 2 or 3) they could have worked themselves into the first round, but with so many quality QBs in this draft, they would both have a tough time moving into the 2nd round, in my opinion. With good senior seasons, they could both be top 15-types.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #38
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Is Pike an eligible prospect?

He's a senior, but how much of it is the system he's in?
Old 12-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #39
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Jake Locker will be the best QB out of this draft. Prototypical size, strong arm and can make plays with his legs. Plus is a great team guy with a great attitude. He will be the face of someones franchise for a long time.

It would benefit him in a huge way to stick with Sark for another year, but given the current climate I wouldn't blame him for coming out.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:55 PM   #40
bigmike75
n00b

If you look at last years draft and this years draft...Huge difference in WOW factor, April gonna be fun..
Old 12-07-2009, 11:56 PM   #41
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Who knows? Brennan was a "system QB", but I think he's still holding clipboards for the Skins, IIRC. If he's a fluke, no one's figured it out yet.

Not that there's a history of these types of QBs succeeding, but we're going to have to wait to see some combine numbers and some scouts get a hold of in depth tape before we have a better idea if guys like Pike are legit prospects.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:58 PM   #42
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Jake Locker will be the best QB out of this draft. Prototypical size, strong arm and can make plays with his legs. Plus is a great team guy with a great attitude. He will be the face of someones franchise for a long time.

It would benefit him in a huge way to stick with Sark for another year, but given the current climate I wouldn't blame him for coming out.

Locker is really going to have to improve his accuracy. There aren't many college QBs that have made it at the next level without having a single season completing 60% of their passes.

He really needs another year at UW.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:02 AM   #43
DanGarion
Coordinator

3rd round dud.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:03 AM   #44
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Locker is really going to have to improve his accuracy. There aren't many college QBs that have made it at the next level without having a single season completing 60% of their passes.

He really needs another year at UW.

He does, but his first two seasons he had no talent around him. This year the offensive line was patchwork and he had talent around him but it was very young.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:03 AM   #45
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
3rd round dud.

Who?
Old 12-08-2009, 12:05 AM   #46
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
How's Ben Mauk doing? Case Keenum is the more interesting "system" QB - I thought he was better than Kevin Kolb and Kolb managed 2nd round.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
The strike rate for high-1st rounder QBs is amazingly low. If I were a GM I'd be drafting for a safer position in the 1st round and pick my QBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Hell of a lot less pressure for QBs taken with those picks.
Actually about half of starting QB's come from the first round, a higher percentage than most positions. It's more that you can't afford to have that bloated salary figure from a player that never sees the field - if a DL "busts" he's still in the rotation, and if an OT "busts" you can move him to guard.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:06 AM   #47
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Signed, Petey.

The best true freshman QB to start at USC...

Last edited by DanGarion : 12-08-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:06 AM   #48
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
If you look at last years draft and this years draft...Huge difference in WOW factor, April gonna be fun..

Too bad the NFL fucked it up with it's one round per day, Wednesday night first round crap.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:07 AM   #49
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Who?

Um the person this entire thread is about.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:08 AM   #50
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Signed, Petey.

I saw Forcier and he has "it". Does Barkley have "it"?