Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
AlexB
Pro Starter

Vive la Revolution!

Let no-one say us Brits don't know how to summon up a movement of the masses when our lives get just too much.

What could it be that causes Englishmen to rebel against the establishment: rising taxes? An unelected and incompetent leader? Bankers bonuses? Oh no...

BBC News - Rage Against the Machine beat X Factor winner in charts

AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
Schmidty
Coordinator

Great song by my favorite punk band!!!

Oh, I guess I misunderstood what you were talking about.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Good on them. RATM was one of the few rock bands of substance back in that span, at least that got any pub at all. Glad to see a resurgence in interest overseas.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #4
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

This is awesomely awesomely awesome! Love it.

In the summer of 1996, every day for an hour on Super 102 in Charleston WV they had a request line and you could request anything. One day I called and requested Depeche Mode's Enjoy the Silence. Two days later, Policy of Truth, and a day later, Personal Jesus. The following week, once more for Enjoy the Silence.

After that, no more calls from me, but a lot of other people heard them getting played and must've either liked them new, or reliked them, because they kept calling in and requesting them, and for two months in the Summer of 96, the hit station added Depeche Mode songs from Violator to the regular rotation to make the listeners happy.

It was awesome.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Okay, I need a LOT more information. Answers to the following questions would be appreciated:

A. What is X Factor?
B. Who is the Elderberry dude?
C. What did RATM's hit just beat McElderberry's hit in?
D. If this is just a "who sold the most contest", doesn't this happen every week? Why is this one important? Why is the "Christmas" contest important?
E. Why are Brits so damn weird?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Okay, I need a LOT more information. Answers to the following questions would be appreciated:

A. What is X Factor?
B. Who is the Elderberry dude?
C. What did RATM's hit just beat McElderberry's hit in?
D. If this is just a "who sold the most contest", doesn't this happen every week? Why is this one important? Why is the "Christmas" contest important?
E. Why are Brits so damn weird?

Inquiring minds want to know.

A - X Factor = American Idol. TV ratings powerhouse. The final of the show was last weekend, and the winner's single was released straight after the show. I think Simon Cowell is planning on creating a US in the next year or two, so you will know all about it soon.

B - He was the winner.

C - It sold the most copies in the UK this week (500k compared to 450k for the X Factor winner)

D - This does happen every week, but the Christmas #1 has always been regarded as important in the record industry as sales are always massive at this time of year thanks to the crappy novelty songs that are released at Christmas. X Factor winners have been Christmas #1 in each of the last 4 years.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
A - X Factor = American Idol. TV ratings powerhouse. The final of the show was last weekend, and the winner's single was released straight after the show. I think Simon Cowell is planning on creating a US in the next year or two, so you will know all about it soon.

B - He was the winner.

C - It sold the most copies in the UK this week (500k compared to 450k for the X Factor winner)

D - This does happen every week, but the Christmas #1 has always been regarded as important in the record industry as sales are always massive at this time of year thanks to the crappy novelty songs that are released at Christmas. X Factor winners have been Christmas #1 in each of the last 4 years.

So this is a counter-revolutionary win over the sickening pop crap that has infested the music culture of the UK (and which also is reciprocated in the US of A?).

Got it. I can get behind that. Go RATM!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am still waiting for an answer, BTW, on why you British are so damn weird.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:11 AM   #9
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
I am still waiting for an answer, BTW, on why you British are so damn weird.

Thatīs like one Sloth asking another Sloth why itīs moving so damn slow

Last edited by whomario : 12-21-2009 at 06:11 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:42 AM   #10
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So this is a counter-revolutionary win over the sickening pop crap that has infested the music culture of the UK (and which also is reciprocated in the US of A?).

Got it. I can get behind that. Go RATM!

On top of that, it's some dude who is an ok singer covering a Miley Cyrus song.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:44 AM   #11
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

well done England!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #12
AlexB
Pro Starter

Ah - thought you had X-Factor in the States.

Quote:

This is exactly the deal.

Simon Cowell claims to be impressed, and offered the organisers jobs, which they turned down

I love the irony of two people choosing a song presumably based on the 'Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me' reprise, and then half a million people doing what these two people told them!

I also love the irony that the organised effort against the music industry resulted in Sony/BMG making HUGE profits on the Christmas charts - they own the rights to RATM as well as the X-Factor kid, so they won on both songs. Plus the campaign resulted in both songs selling 33-50% more units than the highest recent Christmas #1, so the profits are even bigger.

But the idea was great, the song was at least a protest song, is a classic (it was once the final straw in a relationship I had, as my GF didn't like my long hair at the time, and when it ended up whipping her as I moshed around to KINTN, that was that!) and I whole heartedly agree with the fact that Simon Cowell has homogenised pop music.

But I'm 36, not his target market, and don't care about, and am not supposed to care about, pop music any more. This kind of strikes me as the old folks taking over the dance floor at a party - it's a bunch of people on a stage they really should be bothered about anymore.

Still funny though
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #13
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post
Ah - thought you had X-Factor in the States.

This is exactly the deal.

Simon Cowell claims to be impressed, and offered the organisers jobs, which they turned down

I love the irony of two people choosing a song presumably based on the 'Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me' reprise, and then half a million people doing what these two people told them!

I also love the irony that the organised effort against the music industry resulted in Sony/BMG making HUGE profits on the Christmas charts - they own the rights to RATM as well as the X-Factor kid, so they won on both songs. Plus the campaign resulted in both songs selling 33-50% more units than the highest recent Christmas #1, so the profits are even bigger.

But the idea was great, the song was at least a protest song, is a classic (it was once the final straw in a relationship I had, as my GF didn't like my long hair at the time, and when it ended up whipping her as I moshed around to KINTN, that was that!) and I whole heartedly agree with the fact that Simon Cowell has homogenised pop music.

But I'm 36, not his target market, and don't care about, and am not supposed to care about, pop music any more. This kind of strikes me as the old folks taking over the dance floor at a party - it's a bunch of people on a stage they really should be bothered about anymore.

Still funny though

Heh. Must to be laughed at here.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote