Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Google to offer carrier independent wireless store

The basic gist of the story is that google is opening a wireless store, where every phone in unlocked to begin with, and can be used on any carrier as long as the phone supports that type of network (CDMA or GSM). You will no longer be forced to select a carrier based on the phone you want, instead you will be able to select a phone you want, and then the carrier that offers the best deal. Its a good article and goes into why this is a good thing for consumers.

Google's biggest announcement was not a phone, but a URL

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!

Last edited by Airhog : 01-06-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah. I couldn't figure out why they were risking pissing off all the cell manufacturers with the Nexus(which is nice, but nothing terribly special) until I saw this. Especially when it seemed Android was taking off with or without it.

They are using it to kick start this store it seems.

Last edited by jeff061 : 01-06-2010 at 09:58 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
Klinglerware
College Starter

Unlocked without carrier subsidy is the cell phone business model pretty much everywhere but the US. I've noticed that traveling outside the US, people generally carry around much cooler cell phones than what you would normally see in the US. Because phones are generally unlocked and not subsidized, they pay more for their phones but they get more choice (and more usable high end models). In the US, you don't see as many high end smartphones (such as the Nokia N-Series) being subsidized because of the cost and because the carriers often want to strip the phones of useful features (like VOIP, for example).

I buy all my phones unlocked. I pay more, but I think the freedom to choose a full featured smartphone that does what it was meant to do without carrier interference is worth it to me.

But with all that being said, I think it will be tough to change the mindset of the American consumer who is used to getting their phones at deep discounts.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

The problem is do you still have to pay the same monthly cost for the network? If so you are paying more up front and still paying to subsidize other people's phones.

It's a screwed up system here. Hopefully if this takes off it will force carriers to offer more choice.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

There is a steep price difference in the locked version ($500) and unlocked T-Mobile version ($200). As Klingerware mentioned, the mindset of consumers is that of cheap phones.

My belief is that if it was going to happen and the mindset switch, it should have been done with the iPhone that had massive consumer appeal right off the bat.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
My belief is that if it was going to happen and the mindset switch, it should have been done with the iPhone that had massive consumer appeal right off the bat.

Which is why Google is risking alienating the Motorolas of the world trying to create something "special" to pull this off. But you can't match the Apple buzz.