Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Alright, what flavors of Linux is everyone using and why?

I just received an older laptop to where I am going to format the HD get rid of the windows XP and start getting used to Linux...to where I hope to eventually port myself over to...

I have played with Ubuntu, it's good...I know....But I want to know if anyone else has played with others and their feed back and such on what is their preferred flavor.

MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
JediKooter
Coordinator

I've used CentOS. To be honest, it's way too much like Windows. I don't like Windows and do not want to ever go back to a 'Windows' type environment.

CentOS is just as clunky as any other Windows version that I've used before, but, with more hassles (mostly web browsing and file/directory navigation).

I have not tried any other Linux flavors, so I'm not sure if this is the norm or not.

I wish someone would come out with a more MacOS type OS.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I've used CentOS. To be honest, it's way too much like Windows. I don't like Windows and do not want to ever go back to a 'Windows' type environment.

CentOS is just as clunky as any other Windows version that I've used before, but, with more hassles (mostly web browsing and file/directory navigation).

I have not tried any other Linux flavors, so I'm not sure if this is the norm or not.

I wish someone would come out with a more MacOS type OS.

I have found one that carries the look...do not know about the feel...

DistroWatch.com: Dreamlinux
Old 06-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I have found one that carries the look...do not know about the feel...

DistroWatch.com: Dreamlinux

Hmmm....just looked it over and I might just have to give that one a try.

One of the things that I think that makes the MacOS great is when you want to remove an app, you just find the package for the app and put it in the trash. There's no uninstall utility that you have to run. If Dreamlinux has that similar feature, that would go a long way in my opinion.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 06-29-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
We use both Ubuntu and CentOS at work. But mainly as servers, without the Desktop GUI. I have an Ubuntu desktop install at home, and I've been pleased with the GUI on the latest 10.04 release.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
MJ4H
Coordinator

Linux Mint 9 because you can install it right beside windows on a partition. Easily.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I use Ubuntu for my web server. I tried using it for my main machine for a while, but too many games had problems running on it (even with WINE). Ubuntu was very nice for day to day home use (surfing, email, etc). Very quick and easy to use.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I am going to start out with Mandriva, see how that handles and if I don't like it I will try DreamLinux....If none of those pan out I will go to Mint, I ran Mint for a bit and liked it...

It's just nice to have a separate laptop now to play with it...people will think I am nuts for carrying to laptops around but it will let me get used to linux, then I can eventually retire completely away from M$, I am away from MS Office using open office now and Thunderbird.

So I am pretty happy I am moving away from the dependency part.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
DanGarion
Coordinator

Talking about Linux, just read this today, might be helpful in determining the flavor you want.

Universal USB Installer Makes a Persistent Thumb Drive Version of Any Linux OS
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I am going to start out with Mandriva, see how that handles and if I don't like it I will try DreamLinux....If none of those pan out I will go to Mint, I ran Mint for a bit and liked it...

It's just nice to have a separate laptop now to play with it...people will think I am nuts for carrying to laptops around but it will let me get used to linux, then I can eventually retire completely away from M$, I am away from MS Office using open office now and Thunderbird.

So I am pretty happy I am moving away from the dependency part.

My problem with Thunderbird is, it's too much like Microsoft Mail, though I do like most of the other Office products.

I know it's a pipe dream, but, I imagine a day when someone takes all the good things about the MacOS and throws in all the software compatibility of Windows and I'd probably be finally happy.

You should start a dynasty for your Linux journey.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #11
MJ4H
Coordinator

set up yakuake and alpine for email. rulez

Last edited by MJ4H : 06-29-2010 at 07:50 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #12
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post

You should start a dynasty for your Linux journey.

LOL...it wouldn't be to keen just a I installed this it didn't work....
Old 06-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #13
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Well, my laptop HD is dying so I am pretty much stuck in my Vista partition right now. I have used Ubuntu over most of the last year plus. About six months ago my linux partitions started giving me crap and I got into this cycle of having to reinstall every couple weeks, and now stuff on those partitions last anywhere from a few days to a week (why I am staying in Vista which is showing problems now too).

Because of this I have recently tried Mint (would rather just stick with Ubuntu, I don't like their so-called improvements other then Thunderbird as their default mail client). I have tried Fedora, which because of my problems I didn't have patience for once I messed up. I will give Fedora a try again down the road once I have a new computer. I have tried MoonOS, another break-off of Ubuntu but is not Gnome or KDE, it's E13 or something like that, can't remember right now. Didn't like it much though. Tried PCLinuxOS, which seems like it would be alright if I gave it a chance. Have Ubuntu right now.

I hate Windows. Linux is so fast and smooth like butter, I love using it on this laptop.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:36 AM   #14
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Got a new laptop a little over a week ago. HP G62 with an i5, 4 GBs of DDR3, smallish HD at 250 GB. I love this thing. Windows 7 is a big improvement, and it is not pure torture going into it any more.

Still, Win 7 wasn't going to get me away from Linux. The day after I got it I partitioned the HD and started trying out different distros to see what I wanted. Thought I would go with Fedora 13, but it didn't like my hardware I guess and had constant locking problems. Tried openSUSE 11.2, didn't want to boot. PuppyLinux was the same. Ubuntu and Mint worked, but no sound for either. Went ahead and settled with Ubuntu 10.04 though and worked my way through the no sound problem. Although the fix has to do with re-compiling the kernel (thankfully I found a great walk-through to fix this sound issue) and the next day the kernel was updated. So I use the older one and may fix the new one soon but I am running fine as is so not a big deal.

So good being back in Linux full time with no problems, and on even better hardware then before. Crap, hooking this thing up to my 1080p 47" TV is wonderful, and is much smoother now with no nVidia graphics chip to worry about.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:27 AM   #15
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Debian's real nice for its package manager alone.

I still do love my Slackware, for its no-frills throw it on a box in the corner and forget about it mentality.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #16
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Well, I have a Mac now, the laptop I was going to put Unix on I ended up trading for the Mac...

So, I am getting used to the Mac, and then will probably slap the Unix on the PC once I get there.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #17
rjolley
College Starter

I'm using Gentoo right now, have been for the last 7 or 8 years. I started using it because portage, the package system, compiles everything with the options you specify, takes care of dependencies, and allows you to easily download and install updates.

I think most packages do that now, but I've gotten accustomed to Gentoo and don't see a real reason to switch.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:21 AM   #18
Router Help

I use Ubuntu although I've been contemplating going to something more Red Hat based since every job I am applying for uses it.
Router Help is offline   Reply With Quote