Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-11-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Runners/Baseball Fans (Little Story)

Heh, had an interesting morning, so thought I would share.

As part of the All Star festivities this morning, the Angels & MLB had a 5K run for the fight against cancer, which I signed up for. It started on the stadium grounds, ran around a couple of the surrounding streets, came back around to the other side of the stadium grounds, and then the course actually took us onto the field (ran the warning track and around behind the plate and back out again toward the finish line).

Obviously actually running on the field was pretty cool, although I discovered that my I-Phone touch screen was probably overheated because I was holding it like a baton (forgot my workout phone sleeve; stupid). When I tried to take pictures, it was hard to get the phone to accept my finger pushing, especially while in mid run.

Probably the most interesting part was at the end of the race. I didn't realize they were handing out medals to all the runners. I just saw knots of runners receiving medals.

Now, prior to the most recent teams (post '02 World Series), my favorite Angels players of all time are arguably Rod Carew first, followed by Chuck Finley, and then Tim Salmon (I tell sabremetric fans my fave is Eckstein just to piss them off ).

Turns out Carew and Salmon were handing out the medals. Caught me completely offguard. Got my medal from Salmon. Thought about saying something, but there were a ton of people behind me of course. Impossible to get a picture, too, in all that crowd. Sonofa...

Anyway, I don't know if that's interesting to anyone, but thought I would share. For any runners on the board, I did the 5K in 25:29, which I thought was pretty good (I had to time it on my phone; the start of the race was a good 8 minutes in before I was able to get to the starting point).

If I figure out how to post what pictures I can, I may put them up. Don't expect quality shots.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-11-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

That's pretty cool man. It's always memorable to meet one of your all-time favorite players. I'm sure you'll remember this for decades.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

That is pretty sweet. I would be just as star struck if it was Mookie Wilson and HoJo.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
bhlloy
Coordinator

That's awesome. Remember being at an Angels game with my boss about 4-5 years ago and Salmon came over to sign a glove for his kid and chatted with him for a little while. By all accounts a really nice guy.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
Radii
Head Coach

very cool
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Very cool!
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote