Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
Sgran
High School Varsity

Sgran's The Big Screen Revisited playlist

I swear to god that this will work, but nobody believes me, least of all the manager of Palace Cinemas here in Budapest (who is a friend). The idea is to get hold of a cinema with a good sized screen -- or just one screen at a multiplex -- and run movies that people should see on The Big Screen. You show a steady diet of older blockbusters where people say "I wish I'd seen that on The Big Screen" or they now own on DVD, but it's just not the same at home.

So help me build the list. Again, rewatchable films -- blockbusters or cult classics -- that have to seen Big. These are in no particular order.
1. Jurassic Park
2. The Matrix
3. Saving Private Ryan (it would also be an interesting experiment to see if people would come out for 3 episodes of Band of Brothers or the Pacific)
4. Batman Begins
5. The Dark Knight
6. Die Hard
7. The Thing
8. Pitch Black (my biggest regret)
9. Star Wars (the original. Fuck all the sequels or "prequels" or any Lucasquels)
10. Raiders of the Lost Arc (okay, we'll give Lucas some credit. It's unbelievable how often I can watch this movie even after 30 years)
11. Rocky Horror Picture Show

I'll stop there. John Wayne films? woo? Russ Meyers? What would people come out to see?

Sgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It isn't my cup of tea, but Titanic should probably be on that list.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
JediKooter
Coordinator

Man, not even Empire Strikes Back?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I would have a hard time gauging film going crowds in Budapest, but I know there a lot of art theaters that have midnight showings of cult classics and the like that are pretty popular.

To add to your list above: Terminator 1 & 2, Alien, Aliens, Predator, LOTR movies, 2001: A Space Odysessy, Poltergeist, Evil Dead flicks
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

To add to your list above: Terminator 1 & 2, Alien, Aliens, Predator, LOTR movies, 2001: A Space Odysessy, Poltergeist, Evil Dead flicks

+1000

Pretty much exactly what I was getting ready to type.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 08-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Avatar, Ben-Hur, Wizard of Oz, Lawrence of Arabia and Blade Runner
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Not a classic by any means, but I watched Black Hawk Down in a theatre when it was released. I fucking loved it. When I later watched it on DVD it just wasn't the same..
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
Sgran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Man, not even Empire Strikes Back?

Of course, because everyone would clamor for it, and then no one would attend, just like the Star Trek with both Kirk and Picard. My opinion is that these aren't great movies -- rather the fanboys were just grateful at the time and have positive emotional connections to them. But sure, let's show it.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
Of course, because everyone would clamor for it, and then no one would attend, just like the Star Trek with both Kirk and Picard. My opinion is that these aren't great movies -- rather the fanboys were just grateful at the time and have positive emotional connections to them. But sure, let's show it.

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK ISN'T A GREAT MOVIE?

This post has been reported.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #10
Sgran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I would have a hard time gauging film going crowds in Budapest, but I know there a lot of art theaters that have midnight showings of cult classics and the like that are pretty popular.

All solid, but the last time I saw Poltergeist it struck me as dated. That's my problem with a lot of Hitchcock films, as well. And, as much as it breaks my heart, I'm not sure the Evil Dead trilogy would draw. In fact, I'm not sure I can name a single horror flick that would. Naturally, we could try Halloween, but eh...

By the way, don't worry about whether these films would draw in Hungary. I'm offering this master plan to the world.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
Sgran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Avatar, Ben-Hur, Wizard of Oz, Lawrence of Arabia and Blade Runner

Yup. Wizard of Oz would be an interesting one. Could probably add some Japanese classics here like Ran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Not a classic by any means, but I watched Black Hawk Down in a theatre when it was released. I fucking loved it. When I later watched it on DVD it just wasn't the same..

I agree that people who showed up would enjoy it, but would anyone show? It's neither a blockbuster nor a cult classic.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
By the way, don't worry about whether these films would draw in Hungary. I'm offering this master plan to the world.

Ah. Well, your master plan has been implemented throughout a lot of the U.S. at the very least.

Like I mentioned, the local art theater here has midnight showings of old blockbusters and cult classics. Every Friday and Saturday. And for the record, the Evil Dead movies do quite well at these screenings.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 08-17-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #13
molson
General Manager

It's a great plan. I think you just need more than the movie to make it an event. Beer for starters.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
DanGarion
Coordinator

I'd say Cloverfield, just because it's the type of movie that benefits being show on the big screen...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #15
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Movies with a lot of scenery should be seen there ...Gone With The Wind, Lawrence of Arabia come to mind.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #16
Cuckoo
College Starter

Back to the Future, The Godfather, Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Lethal Weapon, E.T., Top Gun, The Road Warrior
Old 08-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Gone With the Wind for sure, Ben-Hur probably, Wizard of Oz maybe. I'd also agree with Cuckoo about Top Gun being one of those.

Also, you may have already seen this but .... here's a list of theaters who at least occasionally do something similar.
Reel Classics: Classic Movies on the Big Screen
Old 08-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #18
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Empire is the best of the 6.

You're dead to me.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #19
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

Scratching my head on this one. Comparing Star Trek Generations to Empire Strikes Back and then invoking the 'fan boy' clause? Hmmm...something is amiss in Budapest.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #20
Swaggs
Coordinator

Gladiator is a good choice.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #21
FF
Mascot

robocop
Old 08-17-2010, 04:44 PM   #22
Tigercat
College Starter

Maybe in Hungary, Empire is blacklisted for its pro-incest stance. And don't tell me they didn't know, 'cause they both admit later that they more or less always knew. Freaks.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:14 PM   #23
Sgran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Also, you may have already seen this but .... here's a list of theaters who at least occasionally do something similar.
Reel Classics: Classic Movies on the Big Screen

No, I hadn't seen that. So the economics must work somehow. Actually, I used to live just 2 blocks from this theater: "The Music Box Theatre (3733 N Southport Avenue, Chicago, IL 60613; --foreign and classic films in a restored 1929 movie house." It was often an evening choice between the Music Box and Wrigley. Oh, those heady days of youth...

But as far as I can tell, these are art houses, where you usually go to see the best foreign films (before they're remade by Hollywood with a happy ending), with a sprinkling of old artsy films like Eraserhead or the Bicycle Thief. There are plenty of arthouses in Budapest that still receive state support, so there's no market in that direction. My idea was more "darn, i wish I'd seen Pitch Black in a darkened movie theater."

But whatever, I knew the thread would just end up with me stepping on a few sacred cows and waking up tomorrow next to the head of Jar Jar Binks.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:41 PM   #24
Router Help

Quote:
No, I hadn't seen that. So the economics must work somehow. Actually, I used to live just 2 blocks from this theater: "The Music Box Theatre (3733 N Southport Avenue, Chicago, IL 60613; --foreign and classic films in a restored 1929 movie house." It was often an evening choice between the Music Box and Wrigley. Oh, those heady days of youth...

Sweet, I live very near to that theater and Killer Clowns From Outer Space is coming!
Router Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:13 PM   #25
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Rocky I-IV. Stallone can still sell, obviously. This and the Rambo series are him at his peak.