Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-12-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

HTC EVO 4G vs. Samsung EPIC 4G?

I need a new smartphone.

I've never had any issues with Sprint surprisingly (and they ball-wash me now cuz i've been a customer for over 10 years), so I'm biased against changing carriers I guess.

That being said - any thoughts by users here on the HTC EVO 4G vs. the Samsung EPIC 4G? the HTC PPC-6800 that I have right now has a hardware keyboard, and i do REALLY enjoy that I have to say, since I do a lot of texting/instant messaging on my phone. But I understand the keyboard on the EVO 4G is pretty damn big and good.

Does anyone here have any thoughts on the comparison?

I see the EPIC is like $50 more - is that just because of the AMELOD screen?

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I need a new smartphone.

I've never had any issues with Sprint surprisingly (and they ball-wash me now cuz i've been a customer for over 10 years), so I'm biased against changing carriers I guess.

That being said - any thoughts by users here on the HTC EVO 4G vs. the Samsung EPIC 4G? the HTC PPC-6800 that I have right now has a hardware keyboard, and i do REALLY enjoy that I have to say, since I do a lot of texting/instant messaging on my phone. But I understand the keyboard on the EVO 4G is pretty damn big and good.

Does anyone here have any thoughts on the comparison?

I see the EPIC is like $50 more - is that just because of the AMELOD screen?

Off the top of my head:

Pretty much the keyboard and the screen. Also the EPIC has access to the tv/movie buy/rental service.

The EVO has a larger screen, HTC Sense, higher resolution back facing camera, a 8 connection vs 5 device router and android 2.2 vs 2.1 though the latter will undoubtedly change.

Personally, I like the EVO better but I also don't need the keyboard. Unlike the Moment vs the Hero, the keyboard isn't getting the customers more interested in the EPIC and supply on those is always available there are still issues with the EVO selling out which tells me HTC is going to win this round.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
Axxon
Pro Starter

Dola, my current job has me doing Sprint phone sales so that's where I formed my opinion from. I've played with the EVO but unfortunately not the EPIC. Ditto on selling them. Still waiting for my first EPIC sale but no one ever seems to really ask about it.

Any other questions on these devices I'll try to answer.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Not too worried about the router as I don't plan on paying the extra $30 a month to use that, and as you say, the versions of Android will undoubtedly be equalized sooner rather than later.

I'll have to go and try out both, try the software keyboard on the evo and see how i feel about it. that 4.3inch screen is massive, and i do enjoy that. but like i said - i probably do more texting/instant messaging with my phone than actual phone calling, so i've got to be real comfortable with the software keyboard.

i honestly hadn't even heard of the EPIC...lol
Old 10-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
Dola, my current job has me doing Sprint phone sales so that's where I formed my opinion from. I've played with the EVO but unfortunately not the EPIC. Ditto on selling them. Still waiting for my first EPIC sale but no one ever seems to really ask about it.

Any other questions on these devices I'll try to answer.

really? how ironic that i asked the question then.

lol - so are you working for sprint or something then? or are you doing it for a third party?

interesting. has the epic been out a long time??

i think the evo has had a massive advertising blitz behind it, which really helps no doubt
Old 10-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
Axxon
Pro Starter

I'm not surprised. Like I said, no one has ever approached me about one. I started really pushing the Moment because of the keyboard and it was a huge sales point. These are much bigger phones though.

I'd definitely check into them though because if you're a heavy texter you're probably going to like the Epic better because you'll use that a lot more than the more advanced features that the EVO has that the EPIC doesn't. I can say without a doubt too that the AMOLED screens do look better but spoken from someone with not the best eyesight in the world, I have zero problems reading text on the EVO.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
really? how ironic that i asked the question then.

lol - so are you working for sprint or something then? or are you doing it for a third party?

interesting. has the epic been out a long time??

i think the evo has had a massive advertising blitz behind it, which really helps no doubt

3rd party. We basically get the fringe/test programs for Sprint and once we get good results they take the programs back. LOL.

I've done a lot for Sprint. I have done plan changes, ASL support, phone sales, sold TEP ( phone insurance ), premier customer support and AIRAVE support. I may not work for them but I know more about how Sprint ticks than many who work for them directly.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
Axxon
Pro Starter

Also, the EPIC is just the 4G version of the Galaxy S. That is the phone all the carriers are getting and I have seen that phone advertised a good bit.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If you wait, I bet the epic gets a price cut soon. And can you even get 4G?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #10
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not surprised. Like I said, no one has ever approached me about one. I started really pushing the Moment because of the keyboard and it was a huge sales point. These are much bigger phones though.

I'd definitely check into them though because if you're a heavy texter you're probably going to like the Epic better because you'll use that a lot more than the more advanced features that the EVO has that the EPIC doesn't. I can say without a doubt too that the AMOLED screens do look better but spoken from someone with not the best eyesight in the world, I have zero problems reading text on the EVO.

well i'm a heavy texter/instant messenger, but i'd also be a heavy video-watcher, etc. Just saying I definitely use the "non-phone" features more than the phone itself.

But if the software keyboard is real easy for me to deal with then I'd go with the evo...the thing with hardware keyboards is keys can break/get stuck/whatever. which is a problem that software keyboards don't have.

we'll see. i'll definitely head into the local sprint store and play with both.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-12-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #11
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

price cuts are yummy. my phone is so ancient anyways...i think i got it in like...2007? MAYBE 2008.

4g in boston...i'm not sure.

answer: nope
Old 10-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #12
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:

sprint.com/4g to be sure but basically as I recall only Boston has it in Mass right now. This really shouldn't be the selling point though. If he's committed to Sprint these are the best hardware going whether on 3 or 4 g and they both have WIFI so he can do most 4g things just fine. I wouldn't suggest the router on 3g but if you're desperate YMMV.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #13
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
price cuts are yummy. my phone is so ancient anyways...i think i got it in like...2007? MAYBE 2008.

4g in boston...i'm not sure.

answer: nope

Where'd you get your info? There is 4g in Boston. I just confirmed that with the link I just gave you.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #14
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Where'd you get your info? There is 4g in Boston. I just confirmed that with the link I just gave you.

the 4g coverage map on sprint.com didn't list Massachusetts at all, so i just assumed. - this is the map you access on the page where you're looking at phones.

Yep - I have "on street" 4g coverage listed on the website. But like you said, that's not the selling point anyways.

I'm relatively committed to Sprint - never had an issue with my phones, have had a couple replaced thanks to TEP and just nice salespeople and stuff, etc. And the unlimited data is great - although I don't ever plan on using it all I like the fact that i don't have to meter myself.

no need for the router function at the moment - but if business keeps being great i might consider having work pay for it
Looks like it plays well with Exchange now, so that's good. Or I hear there's this program on the marketplace "TouchDown" that even improves on that.

Slowly selling myself...

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-12-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #15
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
the 4g coverage map on sprint.com didn't list Massachusetts at all, so i just assumed. - this is the map you access on the page where you're looking at phones.

Yep - I have "on street" 4g coverage listed on the website. But like you said, that's not the selling point anyways.

I'm relatively committed to Sprint - never had an issue with my phones, have had a couple replaced thanks to TEP and just nice salespeople and stuff, etc. And the unlimited data is great - although I don't ever plan on using it all I like the fact that i don't have to meter myself.

no need for the router function at the moment - but if business keeps being great i might consider having work pay for it

Axxon - how does Android 2.2 do with Exchange servers? We use Exchange at work and I'd need to be reliably getting my work email.
I assume it's fine these days...

From what I've heard it's a bit tricky to get the settings right but it works fine once you do. I suggest asking your IT department to make sure though.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #16
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
From what I've heard it's a bit tricky to get the settings right but it works fine once you do. I suggest asking your IT department to make sure though.

LOL - i'm essentially the IT department. 3 man shop.

But we do have an outsourced host...so it'd be them that i ask. and they're a big company - i'm sure they've dealt with it before.

gracias!!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #17
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I may be mistaken but the 4G phones I looked at for Sprint required 10 dollars extra per month. There won't be 4G in my shithole neighborhood anytime soon I guess. To me wasting 120 per year would piss me off.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #18
rjolley
College Starter

I have the Evo and it's a great phone. The best feature is the screen size. Not hard to see what's on the screen and it'll be a pain if I have to go to a smaller phone.

I didn't think I'd use the hotspot feature, but I signed up for it for a road trip and haven't turned it off. However, I use it almost everyday for work, so YMMV.

I've seen a coworker's Galaxy phone and while the screen looks nice, it was more about the size. If they have a 4" version when my contract is up, I'll switch. Otherwise, I'll hang on to my Evo until another great phone comes along.

If you want to wait for a WM7 phone, I read rumors that the HTC HD Pro (or something like that) is coming next year. There's also a Palm Pre2 that might make it to Sprint, and a new Blackberry or 2 that's on the way.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #19
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
I may be mistaken but the 4G phones I looked at for Sprint required 10 dollars extra per month. There won't be 4G in my shithole neighborhood anytime soon I guess. To me wasting 120 per year would piss me off.

Yeah, that's one thing that doesn't sit well with me, and I'm in a 4G area. However, for me, the phone is worth it.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #20
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That's true. But I'm going to run it through work anyways. And I do get 4g around here.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #21
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
I have the Evo and it's a great phone. The best feature is the screen size. Not hard to see what's on the screen and it'll be a pain if I have to go to a smaller phone.

I didn't think I'd use the hotspot feature, but I signed up for it for a road trip and haven't turned it off. However, I use it almost everyday for work, so YMMV.

I've seen a coworker's Galaxy phone and while the screen looks nice, it was more about the size. If they have a 4" version when my contract is up, I'll switch. Otherwise, I'll hang on to my Evo until another great phone comes along.

If you want to wait for a WM7 phone, I read rumors that the HTC HD Pro (or something like that) is coming next year. There's also a Palm Pre2 that might make it to Sprint, and a new Blackberry or 2 that's on the way.

Think I saw the other day that Win7 is only coming to AT&T though.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #22
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Really? Win7 AT&T only? I am pretty much in love with my Android phone, but I did think the Omnia 7 looked slick as fuck and if the reviews for it were really good I would have considered it.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #23
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Yeah, that's one thing that doesn't sit well with me, and I'm in a 4G area. However, for me, the phone is worth it.

Basically, Sprint is telling you that it's not for the 4G coverage it's for the phones feature set and hardware. Now, it does have a nicer feature set than anything Sprint sells ( key point ) and for years people paid more for the Blackberry feature set so it's not like there hasn't been a precedent already set.

I personally don't agree with it nor do any of my coworkers but it is what it is and it isn't a 4G fee or the connection cards would also cost a premium. It's also backed by a cheaper plan than the other major carriers even with the fee added so there is that.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #24
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Really? Win7 AT&T only? I am pretty much in love with my Android phone, but I did think the Omnia 7 looked slick as fuck and if the reviews for it were really good I would have considered it.

Definitely saw an article saying that. Not sure what their sources were or anything. Bummed me out a lil too.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #25
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Think I saw the other day that Win7 is only coming to AT&T though.

Hmm, wonder why Microsoft sent a rep to our site a while back to showcase the phones?

I'm not sure about this one. I don't know of any currently in our pipeline but I've never heard we weren't working on one. Maybe AT&T will just have the first phone out?
Old 10-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #26
rjolley
College Starter

I think initially, it's AT&T only, but that won't last long. Here's Engadget's article on the HTC 7 Pro: HTC 7 Pro first hands-on! -- Engadget
Old 10-12-2010, 09:31 PM   #27
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Basically, Sprint is telling you that it's not for the 4G coverage it's for the phones feature set and hardware. Now, it does have a nicer feature set than anything Sprint sells ( key point ) and for years people paid more for the Blackberry feature set so it's not like there hasn't been a precedent already set.

I personally don't agree with it nor do any of my coworkers but it is what it is and it isn't a 4G fee or the connection cards would also cost a premium. It's also backed by a cheaper plan than the other major carriers even with the fee added so there is that.
Yep, heard the story, read the posts complaining, and decided it wasn't worth complaining about and just let it go.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:31 PM   #28
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Definitely saw an article saying that. Not sure what their sources were or anything. Bummed me out a lil too.

I don't think so. Quick google shows this site listing 2 TMobile and one Sprint phone coming out.

Hands-on with all nine Windows Phone 7 devices (with pics!) | DVICE
Old 10-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #29
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Aaaaah okay. I figured that's what it likely was, but the article didn't specify that.

I might be looking for a change from my WinOS to Android though. Many more apps in the Android marketplace -i don't care what developers MS has said they have locked down. And if they do indeed end up outdoing Android I'll have an opportunity to change later before it really happens.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:54 PM   #30
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

I have the Epic and love it. The 4G is pretty cool but it only works downtown for me (Seattle). The screen is a beauty and the qwerty keyboard is pretty much the reason that I got it over the Evo. Also, the phone survived a fall from the hood of my car going about 55 MPH on I-90....haha. Make sure you buy the hard shell case, the phone didn't even get a scratch on the screen from the fall. Amazing.

Last edited by Bigsmooth : 10-12-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #31
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

will check both out tomorrow night
Old 10-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #32
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

First post from the new EVO 4G. Digging it so far but need to customize and remove some Sprint crapware. Strongly considered the epic but liked the sense UI vs. the touchwiz

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-13-2010 at 08:01 PM.