Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-22-2003, 03:43 PM   #1
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Picked up a new computer games magazine

A couple of years ago, I stopped subscribing or buying computer games magazines (notable Computer Gaming World and PC Gamers) because of their juvenile and immature writings, and insipid reviews. However, last week I saw a “new” magazine on the newsstand called simply Computer Games. I was attracted to this since it had an “exclusive” article about Railroad Tycoon III (I loved the first two versions). Anyway, the articles seem to be geared to a more mature (and cynical) audience and somewhat hard-hitting since they don’t pull any punches in regards to the hypocrisies of the more popular gaming magazines. Do anyone know about this magazine, who puts it out or any thoughts about it?

Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 03:48 PM   #2
couriers

They all get old too quickly. I subscribe to several gaming magazines every now and then but usually let a year go by between subscriptions.

BTW, I have had Railroad Tycoon II Gold Edition for almost two years now. So do you think that I should give it a shot already?!?
Old 04-22-2003, 03:54 PM   #3
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'm very interested in that mag, Buc..er...Arny.

I've subscribed to PC Gamer for years, and it has really slipped in quality level (and maturity level).

we're there reviews also? or just articles/previews?
Old 04-22-2003, 03:57 PM   #4
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I subscribe to Computer Games, and it has been around for quite awhile. They just redid their format, but they do indeed cater to a more mature audience and pride themselves on straight-up reviews. I think they are a very good source for game-related information.

Railroad Tycoon III looks wild compared to II!
Old 04-22-2003, 04:01 PM   #5
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

semi-dola,
just checked some Amazon reviews, which seems to be pretty much in-line with what you're saying.

I may have to check this out (hell, what's 1 more mag subscription when you already have 20).

I don't think I can find it locally - too bad - I'm very eager to hear about RTIII. Railroad Tycoon I and II are among my favorite games of all time.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:08 PM   #6
Joe Stallings
.400 Software Studios

The quality and coverage has gone down, and it has been particularly difficult for games like sports sims to get any decent coverage. I mean, PC Gamer hasn't had a dedicated sports columnist since Rob Smolka left nearly two years ago.

I guess part of it is that advertising dollars aren't flowing to the PC-based gaming magazines in light of the console revolution. Still, I see a lot of fluff and wasted space. For instance, if I had to choose, I would much rather see more (or expanded) actual GAME coverage than having 1/2 the magazine dedicated to hardware reviews and "strategy guides."

What is really sad is that if you flip through just about any recent edition of a PC game magazine, nearly every game they choose to review looks the same; it is some offshoot of Quake, Age of Empires or Everquest.

Come on, review DopeWars already dammit!
Joe Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:09 PM   #7
KWhit
Coordinator

Dang! I may have to install RRT2 tonight. You guys just reminded me how much I liked that game.

Semi-related question: I want to subscribe to a couple of mags (PC games may be one). Where do you guys find the best prices? Is there really any difference in price?
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:13 PM   #8
sabotai
General Manager

I used to get Computer Games, they gave me a free 'semi0' subscribtion. (Hanve no idea, it just started coming in the mail and then after about 6 months, I got the "last issue" notice). It was a good mag that I have been considering subscribing to.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:13 PM   #9
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

RRT1 (along with SimCity) what got me into PC gaming and liked what they did with RRT2. Not having followed any gaming news, this was the first I have heard or seen anything about RRT3 and I was blown away by its design. Apparently, Phil of PopTop had been a columnist for CG and I always liked what he had to say. (I know no one cares, but it was on a RRT2 forum that was my first experience in forum dynamics since the old CompuServ days and where I learned to be a real curmudgeon.)

Thanks for the input on this magazine, I think I might be interested in subscribing again.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:15 PM   #10
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

dola

Joe, I hear you. It had been really hard to even pick up a game magazine when they all kept saying shit like "way kewl", "it rocks" and :kicks ass" all of the time. Of all of the columnists I had read, William J. Trotter was the only that wrote like an adult.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:24 PM   #11
Joe Stallings
.400 Software Studios

Yeah, Trotter rocks.

Actually, I wonder if he retired or left, would war games get the same kind of decent coverage in PC Gamer that they get now.

Joe Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:26 PM   #12
sabotai
General Manager

"Actually, I wonder if he retired or left, would war games get the same kind of decent coverage in PC Gamer that they get now."

The answer would be no.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:30 PM   #13
Radii
Head Coach

Whoa, the original Railroad Tycoon was the first game I ever felt the beginnings of an addiction for. And RRTII was amazing. What's the release date on the 3rd one? *drool*
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 06:27 PM   #14
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
Dang! I may have to install RRT2 tonight. You guys just reminded me how much I liked that game.

Semi-related question: I want to subscribe to a couple of mags (PC games may be one). Where do you guys find the best prices? Is there really any difference in price?

Publisher's Clearinghouse usually does have decent prices. Of course I hadn't seen one of those in the mail for a while. I guess I didn't maybe win ten million dollars.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 07:51 PM   #15
Bee
Pro Starter

I always enjoy Jeff Lackey's reviews. He's one of the few reviewers that I actually trust their opinion.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 12:16 PM   #16
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

well, had to go pick this up today (as much for the RTIII article).

haven't had a chance to read it yet.
I have no idea why I'm telling you all this.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:53 PM   #17
bryce
High School Varsity

bestdealmagazines.com

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit

i'd suggest checking out bestdealmagazines.com first. last time i checked there, they had 100 titles for $3.95/year, but i think they've raised that to $4.95 now. either way, clearly it's a good deal. they have some decent titles out there, too - i subscribed to forbes and maxim through them, and i had no complaints, other than the startup time - expect to wait almost three months for your first issue(s). i haven't checked them lately for an updated list of titles, though.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 01:57 PM   #18
KWhit
Coordinator

Great. Thanks, bryce. FYI, Computer Games is one of the mags they're offering (and it's still 3.95).
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote