Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Remove bath tub or not?

So Mrs Tyke and I are pulling a little bit of equity out of hour home and plan to remodel our bathroom. Neither one of us takes a bath. So I would love to get rid of the tub and make a nice large shower area. Mrs Tyke is keenly aware of the common wisdom that states that not having a tub affects the resale value of our home. I have heard that as well, and so I am sensitive to it.

In my dream master design, we will extend bathroom out approximately 3 feet into master bedroom, double size of walk-in closet, remove tub, install shower area, and new sinks/cabinets. My wife likes all plans but wants to put in new tub which would effectively cut shower area in half.

We're just at the preliminary planning phase, so just thought I would ask the collective wisdom. Our current plans are to stay in house 7-10 more years. I get conflicting messages when I research whether it truly affects the resale value or if it is more a preference (meaning some house hunters would exclude our house because of no tub, but not actually decreasing the value of the house). I'm having a hard time sacrificing space now, that we could absolutely use and enjoy for the next 7-10+ years vs keeping a tub solely for the purpose of selling the house down the road.

Whad'dya think?

tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

ping Flasch
Old 07-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
Rizon
Pro Starter

Is this the only bathroom in the house? If you have another bathroom that has ... a bath ... then I'd say ok to removing the master bedroom bath.

I really don't know if it affects the value of the house by having one or not. If I was cash strapped and buying a house I don't think I'd buy one without a bath (otherwise if I had extra cash I'd just add it myself).

Are you adding a bench to the shower? Or have you thought about a combo like this (if you have room)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Do you plan on selling over the next few years? If not, I'd say you should make your home fit your needs, not the needs of an imagined buyer.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
PilotMan
Head Coach

According to my wife, who reads this type of stuff all the time, what you are describing is actually becoming more the trend in master suits. Getting rid of the tub and going with a larger 2 person sized shower is in right now. It's kind of like people remodeling formal dining rooms that don't get used into something more functional. Space, like a tub that doesn't get used, that isn't used isn't really giving your home any more value. I say go for it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

do you have kids or planning to have kids in the next 7-10 years? Not having a bath tub will be a royal pain in the ass.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
According to my wife, who reads this type of stuff all the time, what you are describing is actually becoming more the trend in master suits. Getting rid of the tub and going with a larger 2 person sized shower is in right now. It's kind of like people remodeling formal dining rooms that don't get used into something more functional. Space, like a tub that doesn't get used, that isn't used isn't really giving your home any more value. I say go for it.

+1

And I'd also say that as long as you have "a" tub in the hous somewhere...your golden. Personally, I'd want to make sure there is a tub for potential pets or small kids to make sure it is attractive to would-be buyers. But the master bath is becoming that spot that nobody uses but they think they need.

Plus...as a prospective buyer...anything that directly draws my focus to my wife in the shower with me is a great thing.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Do you have small kids / planning to have them in the next 7 years?

If yes, I wouldn't advise getting rid of the Big Tub.

edit: Heh. Lathum beat me to it.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 07-19-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Is this the only bathroom in the house? If you have another bathroom that has ... a bath ... then I'd say ok to removing the master bedroom bath.

I really don't know if it affects the value of the house by having one or not. If I was cash strapped and buying a house I don't think I'd buy one without a bath (otherwise if I had extra cash I'd just add it myself).

Are you adding a bench to the shower? Or have you thought about a combo like this (if you have room)?

We have 2 full baths (other one has a tub) and 2 half-baths. Haven't gotten into specifics on design, but bench is under consideration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Do you plan on selling over the next few years? If not, I'd say you should make your home fit your needs, not the needs of an imagined buyer.

Our timeframe to sell is 7-10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
do you have kids or planning to have kids in the next 7-10 years? Not having a bath tub will be a royal pain in the ass.

we have 2 boys (14 and almost 12). They only take shower, but it's a shower/tub combo. No more kids planned.

Last edited by tyketime : 07-19-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

That's my line of thinking as well. We are also transitioning formal dining room (which we've used 3 times in 11 years) into our "reading room", but not making any changes to the structure of the room so potential buyer could turn back with no extra costs.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
That's my line of thinking as well. We are also transitioning formal dining room (which we've used 3 times in 11 years) into our "reading room", but not making any changes to the structure of the room so potential buyer could turn back with no extra costs.

We're actually in the market to buy right now, and that's amusingly exactly what we intend to do with the dining room / living room / one of those extra decorative rooms. Be so much nicer for us as a formal library.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
We're actually in the market to buy right now, and that's amusingly exactly what we intend to do with the dining room / living room / one of those extra decorative rooms. Be so much nicer for us as a formal library.
I just never got the whole thing with having so much space basically wasted. Why not make it functional?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #13
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

To me, 7-10 years of what you want trumps future resale value. That's almost a decade of your life.

Since the house has a tub, I can't imagine enough buyers being turned off by the lack of a second tub to make it that big of a deal.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #14
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
I just never got the whole thing with having so much space basically wasted. Why not make it functional?

I completely agree. You can easily make a room desirable/useful to enter and still have it look nice.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
To me, 7-10 years of what you want trumps future resale value. That's almost a decade of your life.

Since the house has a tub, I can't imagine enough buyers being turned off by the lack of a second tub to make it that big of a deal.

This.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #16
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

I'm not saying this is exactly what I have in mind, but it's certainly in the ballpark. I'd get shelves put in for soap, shampoo, etc., so that the bench is more usable.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #17
Telle
College Starter

A house with no tubs could be difficult to sell... but since you have a second tub, getting rid of one shouldn't be a problem.
Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #18
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Bench needs to be longer for more comfortable shower-nookie no? Threat of sliding off it /= sexy.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-19-2011 at 01:13 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #19
Rizon
Pro Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Bench needs to be longer for more comfortable shower-nookie no? Threat of sliding off it /= sexy.

Excellent line of thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #20
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
There's plenty of head-room...
Old 07-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #21
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

This +1