Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
Thomkal
Head Coach

FOFC Crawl Comp #1: Troll Berserker

There was a little interest in the Angband thread for a Crawl Competition, so I thought I'd start this thread to discuss it more and see if there's enough people to warrant it. We'd be using the current version, which is 8.whatever-I don't think it matters much which you have and the current is only 8.1. Troll Berserker was the thought to play-easy for newbies thanks to high STR, berserk ability, and very easy to deal with god in Trog.

Couple things we need to decide on-how long will the comp run? what will determine the winner-high score? highest level gained? number of runes (ha!) found? Post in this thread if interested in challenge even if you have no opinions on these things so I can see if we have enough players interested.

Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I'm in.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Sporkimata
High School JV

I would be game. I just started playing Crawl recently and am quite horrible though.
Sporkimata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporkimata View Post
I would be game. I just started playing Crawl recently and am quite horrible though.

Glad to have you join us Spork. That's why I picked one of the "easiest" early games race/class combos so people new or newish to the game could get into the game without having to know a lot of different strategies, skills, spells, etc. Trog's abilites are pretty straightforward and when you get enough piety he'll start giving gifts of ammo, weapons, and armor to make it even "easier" for you. Feel free to ask questions/for advice here if you want.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
dzilla77
High School Varsity

I'd probably be game, although I doubt very much I would challenge for the crown.
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I'm in. I'd think score seems like as good a guideline as any, since there's a possibility a few people who end up at the same level/runes.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
Thomkal
Head Coach

okay lets go with score, how long should it last? 2 weeks, a month?
Old 07-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
dzilla77
High School Varsity

Given that the life of my characters is measured in minutes, I don't think it matters much, but 2 weeks seems reasonable.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
Lonnie
High School Varsity

2 weeks is good with me.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
Thomkal
Head Coach

okay then lets go with two weeks from tomorrow at midnight EST as the ending date. You can start anytime from now. Post your final morgue file/character dump here (please use the code tags as they are huge!) as your final entry, but by all means post your experiences-the great finds, the incredible escapes, the stupid and the d'oh! deaths, great and not-so great items Trog gives you, etc.

No need for me to create a character for everybody to start from unlike our Angband comps, so in Trog's name-Kill, Kill, and Kill some more!
Old 07-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #11
Thomkal
Head Coach

Some tips on using Trog's gifts-they are not free to use-they cost piety which can take some time to build up. So try to use them when the odds are against you rather than just every time you see an orc or gnoll. Remember that berserking will leave you slowed and exhausted and maybe hungry, so have or go to someplace "safe" nearby to recover. Save Brothers in Arms for a pack of mobs like orcs or gnolls, especially if there are some spellcasters/ranged weapons users amongst them. Back off into a corridor if possible with your Brother in front of you if you can arrange it that way.

It's easy to forget about Trog's Hand, so keep it in mind against the tougher solo foes like named mobs. Check your skills from time to time and turn off ones like stealth and weapons you currently are not using. Feel free to ask for advice and help here.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #12
Radii
Head Coach

I'm in, I just went through the tutorials, this will be the first time I've ever tried something outside of vanilla angband, whee!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #13
Radii
Head Coach

Newbie question: What do ya'll do as far as potions/scrolls and general identifying? I remember in angband going through a tedious process of trying to make money to identify as much stuff as possible. Do you try out scrolls/potions whenever you find them as a general rule or is there some other mechanism to figure out what you've got?
Old 07-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #14
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I'll generally read scrolls pretty quickly, as (usually) the worst thing that can happen is cursing armor or a weapon, whereas potions I will generally leave alone until I am in desperation mode, since there's all sort of negative buffs/poisions/mutations that could screw up your early game real good.

In either case, I'll usually start with what I have the most of, since identify scrolls and healing potions are usually what I'm most interested in, and they are some of the most common, and you're more likely to have multiples.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Newbie question: What do ya'll do as far as potions/scrolls and general identifying? I remember in angband going through a tedious process of trying to make money to identify as much stuff as possible. Do you try out scrolls/potions whenever you find them as a general rule or is there some other mechanism to figure out what you've got?

You have two choices-you can just read any scroll/drink any potion you come across (when injured when you have a potion and don't have potions of healing or heal wounds yet) which will ID most of them for you-but that can be a waste if its a scroll of remove curse or a potion of heal wounds when you are already healthy. And you don't really want to drink a potion of mutaton at all and one of cure mutation till you need it. But most scrolls/potions at the earliest levels can be used this way. By all means drink all un-ID'ed potions (or read scrolls if you don't have blink or teleportation yet) if you get into a fight you can't handle. They aren't any good to you when you are dead after all. Also going this route you might try reading scrolls if you put on a cursed item and haven't found a scroll of remove curse yet (there are detect curse scrolls too)

Perhaps the better way to use them though is to wait till you get two or more of the same kind of scrolls and then read one-scrolls of identify are probably the most common scroll to find in the early game-once you have an identify, use them to identify your potions (and you might get up to 3 uses from one ID scroll, so watch for that!) first, then probably any jewelery you find next. Weapons can ID themselves over time if you use them enough. Scrolls are usually quite numerous in the early levels-I've found five or more several times on a level so if you are lucky you will find ID quickly. Dont do this with multiple potions of the same kind (though potions of healing are the most common) so you can try to save as many of the good ones as possible.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #16
Thomkal
Head Coach

Another quick Trog Tip: Don't forget to pray over any corpses you aren't going to use for food to gain piety with him!
Quick Troll tips: You don't have to wait till you find an edged weapon to cut up any food corpses you find (look at corpses with the v command-some will make you sick/poisoned!) Your clawed hands will do quite nicely! Trolls get hungry quickly-this is balanced by the fact that unlike many species you can eat cut up corpses any time you want rather than out of desperation when you become hungry-and also unlike many species-you can eat rotten food too, so hold on to that spoiled meat!

Try to wait till you are very hungry before eating your starting meat rations as they will make you full-and try to hold out eating them altogether as long as you can as your last line of defense against hunger.

Last edited by Thomkal : 07-23-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #17
Thomkal
Head Coach

Started up my first of many most likely-Troutface the Troll Berserker and berserking sure came in handy when I found three gnolls on level 1! I'd run away with most other backgrounds. Got to Level 3 very quickly!
Old 07-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #18
Thomkal
Head Coach

Just found my first portal for this game on dungeon level 3-the sewer. There are a few portals-think of them as instances in MMO's-places seperate from the main dungeon you can go-you'll definite need to visit some over the course of the game, but they can be very dangerous, especially so to newbies. Sewer is usually the first one you will find-and when you do you will have a limited time to enter it or it will dry up (a few portals work this way). Poisonous rats and big kobolds are likely the biggest dangers here. The fun part about portals is that there are several different versions of a portal-so each can play a bit differently. Wish me luck I'm going in!
Old 07-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #19
Thomkal
Head Coach

And I prove my point by being overwhelmed by poison blowgun carrying kobolds that I couldn't get close to in time to before they poisoned me to death.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #20
dzilla77
High School Varsity

The Troll Berserker is definitely an easier character to play. Managed to get down to level 7 of the dungeon before being killed by a mob of Orcs. The only reason I was fighting them was I was near starving and desperate to find some food.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #21
Radii
Head Coach

So how does this work as far as the competition?

Quote:
Post your final morgue file/character dump here (please use the code tags as they are huge!) as your final entry

I'm a bit confused by that I think. Play as much as you can over 2 weeks and pick your best score, or play until you say "ok this is as good as its gonna get, this is the game I'm submitting" and it has to be the last/most recent game and you're done?
Old 07-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #22
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
So how does this work as far as the competition?

I'm a bit confused by that I think. Play as much as you can over 2 weeks and pick your best score, or play until you say "ok this is as good as its gonna get, this is the game I'm submitting" and it has to be the last/most recent game and you're done?

Hmmmmm I was thinking pick your best score over 2 weeks, but I don't think you get a score for the game you are currently still alive in (anyone know if you do a char dump you get a score with it?) Otherwise you may have to quit (as in end the game) the character (CTRL-Q) you are working on that if you think they will have the best score if its near the end of the challenge and you need to post it. That make sense?

That reminds me that you should not name your character the same each time you start (i.e Troutface for me) since the morgue/dump file will be overwritten (you could copy it and paste it somewhere else if you want to keep using the same name I guess). So use a number (Troutface2) or just different names for each attempt so you don't overwrite.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #23
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Hmmmmm I was thinking pick your best score over 2 weeks, but I don't think you get a score for the game you are currently still alive in (anyone know if you do a char dump you get a score with it?) Otherwise you may have to quit (as in end the game) the character (CTRL-Q) you are working on that if you think they will have the best score if its near the end of the challenge and you need to post it. That make sense?

Yeah I have a level 5 guy going and dumped the charsheet, no score.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:37 AM   #24
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzilla77 View Post
The Troll Berserker is definitely an easier character to play. Managed to get down to level 7 of the dungeon before being killed by a mob of Orcs. The only reason I was fighting them was I was near starving and desperate to find some food.

See I told you. Good job getting that far with your limited experience-you got further than my first. My current guy is doing well-found like 6 or 7 pieces of jewelry so far including a +4 ring of strength, a ring of magical power (gives you mana even if you are a character that wouldn't normally get mana-like this one). I wouldn't be wearing it normally, but it works well with the Amulet of Guardian Spirit-which drains your mana when hit instead of hit points. I also have like 8 or more unidentified scrolls-thankfully one of the ones I have ID'ed was identify. Also has a much needed Ring of Sustenance which helps reduce hunger

Last edited by Thomkal : 07-24-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #25
Thomkal
Head Coach

Survived the trip to the Sewers this time with Troutface2. Different layout thankfully, and a Brothers-in-Arms summoned Ogre took care of the named guy hanging out in the end, a troll named Purgy.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #26
Thomkal
Head Coach

Found the Ecumenical Temple on DL 5. Found somewhere between DL 4-7, reaching here is a good accomplishment for the newbie/newer player. There are temples to various gods here that you can pray to when on each altar-that will tell you about the god, and then you will be asked if you want to join this religion. Since we already have Trog, the only thing its good for is a place to stash all the stuff we don't need right now, or if inventory is full, a place to stash stuff until you get a chance to ID it. There's a command (CTRL-G) that will let you travel to certain dungeon features. Also a command (CTRL-F) to search for features and things in your stashes.

I also find my first shop here, in this case a general store. They are scattered randomnly through the dungeon and very often contain good stuff, even artifacts. The bad news is you can't sell anything in shops, which likely means early on at least you won't be able to buy said artifacts. You can use the CTRL-G command to travel to the shop, and the CTRL-F to search for it to remind yourself what's for sale. Nothing too thrilling here but I do get a potion of healing.

Last edited by Thomkal : 07-24-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #27
Thomkal
Head Coach

Once you get a good missile/throwing weapon, its a good idea to reorder your inventory so you can then use the ' key to switch between your claws or hand to hand weapon and your ranged weapon. Use the = key to reorder them to a and b in your inventory. You can also reorder your spells and abilities if you want, and Shift Q will allow you to change which item is in your quiver for your ranged weapons. And in case you haven't figured this out yet. the letter o allows you to travel through the dungeon without having to hit a key. It will stop for various things like mobs and stairs and will tell you when you've explored all you can reach on the currently. Once you've explored a level fully and you want to get to the nearest staircase down, hit Shift X, then > for down stairs, < for up stairs. Remember that there are 3 up stairs and 3 down stairs on each level so you may want to backtrack to the last level and look for another staircase down you haven't used yet to get to an unexplored part of the level below.

Last edited by Thomkal : 07-24-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #28
Sporkimata
High School JV

This is by the far the best I have ever done. That spiny frog that killed me came out of nowhere. I wasn't paying attention and before I knew what happened I was dead.

5071 Dean Houston the Grappler (level 10, -2/91 HPs)
Began as a Troll Berserker on July 24, 2011.
Was a High Priest of Trog.
Slain by a spiny frog (16 damage)
... on Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts.
The game lasted 01:42:23 (8360 turns).

Dean Houston the Grappler (Troll Berserker) Turns: 8360, Time: 01:42:23

HP -2/91 AC 12 Str 29 Exp: 10/6719 (191), need: 4920
MP 3/3 EV 12 Int 3 God: Trog [*****.]
Gold 368 SH 0 Dex 10 Spells: 0 memorised, 9 levels left

Res.Fire : . . . See Invis. : . e - +5,+4 dire flail (pierce) {god gift}
Res.Cold : . . . Warding : . . F - +1 orc robe
Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : + (shield restricted)
Res.Acid. : . . . Res.Corr. : . (helmet restricted)
Res.Poison: . Clarity : . B - +1 cloak {MR}
Res.Elec. : . Spirit.Shd : . (gloves unavailable)
Sust.Abil.: . . Stasis : . (boots unavailable)
Res.Mut. : . Ctrl.Telep.: . J - amulet of conservation
Res.Rott. : . Levitation : . E - +4 ring of protection
Gourmand : + Ctrl.Flight: . d - ring of sustenance

@: exhausted, very poisoned, slowed, very slow, quite resistant to hostile enchantments, unstealthy
A: unfitting armour, claws 3, berserk 1, fast metabolism 3, gourmand, sense surroundings 1, regeneration 2, saprovore 2, tough skin 2, AC +1
a: Burn Spellbooks, Berserk, Trog's Hand, Brothers in Arms, Renounce Religion

You were on level 1 of the Lair of Beasts.
You worshipped Trog.
Trog was exalted by your worship.
You were not hungry.

You visited 3 branches of the dungeon, and saw 14 of its levels.

You collected 348 gold pieces.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
e - a +5,+4 dire flail of piercing (weapon) {god gift}
i - a +0,+0 bow
k - a +1,+0 orcish dagger (quivered)
l - a +0,+0 mace
p - a +0,+0 orcish dagger of venom
u - a +0,+2 whip of flaming
v - a +4,+3 quarterstaff of chaos
w - a -1,+1 orcish dagger
x - a +0,+0 hammer
y - a -1,+0 orcish flail
z - a +1,+1 dagger of chaos
D - a +0,+0 sabre
G - a +0,+0 sabre
K - a cursed -4,-1 orcish dagger
M - a +1,+1 mace
P - a +0,+2 orcish trident
Q - a +2,+2 sabre
R - a +0,+4 sabre
U - a +0,+1 orcish falchion
W - a +1,+2 flail of holy wrath
X - a -1,+0 orcish great mace
Armour
h - a +1 cloak
o - a +0 scale mail
s - a +0 dwarven banded mail
A - a +2 orcish splint mail
B - a +1 cloak of magic resistance (worn)
F - a +1 orcish robe (worn)
N - a +1 ring mail
O - a +0 robe
S - a +0 orcish banded mail
T - a +0 splint mail
Y - a +0 orcish scale mail
Z - a +0 orcish ring mail
Magical devices
L - a wand of paralysis (2)
Comestibles
a - a meat ration
Scrolls
b - a scroll of detect curse
m - a scroll of blinking
t - 2 scrolls of remove curse
V - a scroll of enchant weapon II
Jewellery
c - an uncursed ring of protection from magic
d - a ring of sustenance (left hand)
f - the ring "Xopou" {Wiz rF+ Str-3 Dex-2 Acc+2}
(You found it on level 4 of the Dungeon)

[ring of wizardry]

It affects your strength (-3).
It affects your dexterity (-2).
It affects your accuracy (+2).
It protects you from fire.
g - an uncursed ring of invisibility {unknown}
E - a +4 ring of protection (right hand)
H - an uncursed amulet of clarity
I - an uncursed amulet of rage
J - an amulet of conservation (around neck)
Potions
j - a potion of restore abilities
n - 2 potions of agility
q - a potion of healing
C - a potion of might
Miscellaneous
r - a crystal ball of seeing

You had 191 experience left.

Skills:
+ Level 5 Fighting
+ Level 6 Maces & Flails
+ Level 7 Dodging
+ Level 1 Stealth
+ Level 9 Unarmed Combat

You had 9 spell levels left.
You didn't know any spells.

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (12/27) Temple (1/1) D:7 Lair (1/8) D:10
Orc: D:6-11 Hive: D:11-16

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
The Shining One
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin

Shops:
D:5: = D:8: =

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You are too large for most types of armour.
You have claws for hands.
Your metabolism is lightning-fast.
You like to eat raw meat.
You heal very quickly.
You can eat rotten meat.
You are covered in fur (AC +1).
You have very tough skin (AC +2).
You tend to lose your temper in combat.
You passively map a small area around you.

Message History

* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
You sock the spiny frog!
The spiny frog is moderately wounded.
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
You feel very sick.
The spiny frog barely misses you. The spiny frog stings you!
You die...

¦············¦········¦¦·¦····¦¦¦¦¦·¦·¦¦
··¦·········=¦·········¦·¦·············¦
¦¦¦·¦···¦·¦¦·¦··)···········¦¦¦¦¦···¦·¦¦
····¦·¦·····¦··<·····¦·¦··········¦···¦
¦·¦···¦·¦···¦·¦¦¦··>···¦·¦···¦¦¦··¦···¦
¦·¦·¦·¦·¦¦······¦·¦··¦¦¦¦¦·¦···¦··¦·¦·¦
¦·······¦¦··¦f¦¦·f¦·¦¦ ¦¦·¦···¦··¦·¦·¦
·· ···¦·············· ¦··¦·¦·¦··¦·P·¦
·· ·¦············¦¦··¦ ¦¦···¦····¦···¦¦
····¦···············¦¦ ¦·¦······¦·¦··¦
···· ············¦·¦¦¦¦¦¦¦·····¦····¦·¦¦
···············¦·······¦·¦¦¦··¦¦··¦···¦
···· ··········¦·····¦················¦
···¦···· ·····¦····¦¦¦F¦·¦¦·¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦·¦
····¦··········¦····¦·@···············¦
····¦¦¦¦¦¦··¦¦¦¦····¦¦··········¦¦·¦¦·¦
···········¦ ¦···¦¦¦¦¦····(·········¦¦
·· · ·······¦ ¦·· ¦ ¦··········¦¦¦·¦
············¦¦¦···¦¦ ¦¦············¦·¦
¦·¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦·¦····¦ ¦··········¦··¦·¦
¦¦¦ ¦·¦¦¦¦¦·¦····¦ ¦······(······/·¦
¦·¦ ¦¦···¦¦·¦···¦¦¦¦········¦¦····¦¦
··¦ ¦···¦¦················>···¦·¦¦
··¦ ¦¦¦¦···¦¦¦······¦¦······¦··¦·¦·¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
··¦¦¦·¦¦···¦ ¦¦¦············¦···············
···········¦ ¦··············¦··¦·¦¦¦¦¦·¦¦·
······¦¦···¦¦¦¦¦······¦¦¦¦¦¦·····¦·¦ ¦¦¦¦·
······¦·····¦¦·¦······¦ ¦····¦····¦¦ ¦·
··¦····¦···¦··········¦ ¦····¦·····¦ ¦·

You could see a spiny frog.

Vanquished Creatures
Pikel (D:5)
A giant toad (Lair:1)
Edmund (D:4)
4 yaks (D:10)
Eustachio (D:4)
An orc warrior (D:8)
A sky beast (D:7)
2 centaurs
The ghost of Torak the Skirmisher, an average MiFi of Trog (D:4)
3 ogres
A phantom (D:5)
A crocodile (Lair:1)
A gila monster (D:10)
A giant slug (Lair:1)
3 giant frogs
Blork the orc (D:6)
10 killer bees
A big kobold zombie (D:6)
A goliath beetle (D:10)
A hound zombie (D:10)
2 imps
A shadow (D:7)
4 hounds
Crazy Yiuf (D:2)
A big fish (D:7)
4 iguanas
6 orc priests
3 worker ants
6 orc wizards
5 snakes
9 green rats (Lair:1)
An iguana skeleton (D:10)
An ufetubus (D:4)
2 worms
5 giant geckos
2 oozes
23 orcs
6 giant cockroaches
13 hobgoblins
13 kobolds
7 quokkas
3 giant newts (D:1)
14 goblins
5 jackals
9 megabats
An orc skeleton (D:8)
24 rats
A small snake (D:3)
18 fungi (Lair:1)
13 plants (Lair:1)
3 toadstools
243 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (collateral kills)
A trapdoor spider (D:12)
An orc warrior (D:8)
An orc wizard (D:8)
3 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (others)
A hobgoblin (D:10)
2 jackals (Lair:1)
A kobold (D:8)
A rat (D:6)
5 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 251 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn | Place | Note
--------------------------------------------------------------
0 | D:1 | Dean Houston, the Troll Berserker, began the quest for the Orb.
0 | D:1 | Reached XP level 1. HP: 18/18 MP: 0/0
344 | D:1 | Reached XP level 2. HP: 25/25 MP: 0/0
497 | D:1 | Acquired Trog's second power
766 | D:2 | Noticed Crazy Yiuf
777 | D:2 | Defeated Crazy Yiuf
777 | D:2 | Reached XP level 3. HP: 13/33 MP: 1/1
1093 | D:2 | You fall through a shaft!
1095 | D:4 | Noticed Eustachio
1197 | D:3 | Reached XP level 4. HP: 23/40 MP: 1/1
1231 | D:3 | Reached skill level 4 in Unarmed Combat
2312 | D:4 | Defeated Eustachio
2312 | D:4 | Reached XP level 5. HP: 19/48 MP: 1/1
2418 | D:4 | Noticed Edmund
2432 | D:4 | Gained mutation: You are dopey (Int -1).
2442 | D:4 | Gained mutation: You are dopey (Int -2).
2443 | D:4 | Defeated Edmund
2443 | D:4 | Reached XP level 6. HP: 38/55 MP: 2/2
2518 | D:4 | Found an iron altar of Okawaru.
2537 | D:4 | Noticed Torak's ghost (average MiFi)
2547 | D:4 | Reached skill level 5 in Unarmed Combat
2558 | D:4 | Defeated Torak's ghost
2604 | D:4 | Reached XP level 7. HP: 62/62 MP: 2/2
2664 | D:4 | Got a warped turquoise ring
2774 | D:4 | Identified the ring "Xopou" (You found it on level 4 of the Dungeon)
2834 | D:4 | Found a shimmering altar of Xom.
2842 | D:4 | You fall through a shaft!
2844 | D:6 | Lost mutation: You are dopey (Int -2).
2844 | D:6 | Lost mutation: You are dopey (Int -1).
3078 | D:6 | Found a glowing drain.
3114 | D:6 | Gained mutation: You tend to lose your temper in combat.
3114 | D:6 | Gained mutation: Your muscles are strong, but stiff (Str +1, Dex -1).
3114 | D:6 | Gained mutation: You passively map a small area around you.
3115 | D:6 | Gained mutation: Your mind is acute (Int +1).
3124 | D:6 | Reached skill level 6 in Unarmed Combat
3151 | D:6 | Noticed Blork the orc
3163 | D:6 | Defeated Blork the orc
3302 | D:6 | Acquired Trog's third power
3432 | D:6 | Gained mutation: Your body is slowly deteriorating.
3446 | D:5 | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
3448 | D:5 | Found Prel's Jewellery Emporium.
3495 | D:5 | Reached skill level 7 in Unarmed Combat
3678 | D:5 | Reached XP level 8. HP: 65/71 MP: 2/2
3686 | D:5 | Noticed Pikel
3693 | D:5 | Defeated Pikel
3995 | D:7 | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
4015 | Temple | Entered the Ecumenical Temple
4257 | D:7 | Reached skill level 8 in Unarmed Combat
4682 | D:7 | Reached skill level 5 in Dodging
4744 | D:7 | Found a blossoming altar of Fedhas.
4821 | D:7 | Reached XP level 9. HP: 72/81 MP: 3/3
4933 | D:8 | Reached skill level 1 in Maces & Flails
5023 | D:8 | Gained mutation: You are agile (Dex +1).
5102 | D:8 | Found Imounaoh's Jewellery Shoppe.
5375 | D:8 | Lost mutation: Your mind is acute (Int +1).
5375 | D:8 | Lost mutation: You are agile (Dex +1).
5375 | D:8 | Lost mutation: Your body is slowly deteriorating.
5375 | D:8 | Lost mutation: Your muscles are strong, but stiff (Str +1, Dex -1).
6381 | D:9 | You fall through a shaft!
6713 | D:10 | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
6765 | D:10 | Reached skill level 9 in Unarmed Combat
6841 | D:10 | Found a staircase to the Lair.
6879 | D:10 | Reached skill level 5 in Fighting
7038 | D:10 | Reached skill level 5 in Maces & Flails
7450 | D:10 | Reached XP level 10. HP: 85/91 MP: 3/3
7591 | Lair:1 | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
7595 | Lair:1 | Reached skill level 1 in Stealth
7618 | Lair:1 | Received a gift from Trog
8360 | Lair:1 | Slain by a spiny frog
Sporkimata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #29
Ironhead
College Prospect

DOH! I was looking for a weapon with a fire brand before going deeper into the Lair so that I could deal with hydras. I just finished the Hive and my inventory was full. I was going to pop into Lair 1 and establish my stash. I just happened to forget that when I last left the Lair there was a hydra right at the staircase.

Code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.8.0 character file. 33351 Splitter the Brawler (level 13, -7/120 HPs) Began as a Troll Berserker on July 24, 2011. Was the Champion of Trog. Mangled by a five-headed hydra (11 damage) ... on Level 9 of the Dungeon. The game lasted 01:34:59 (19701 turns). Splitter the Brawler (Troll Berserker) Turns: 19701, Time: 01:35:00 HP -7/120 AC 8 Str 32 Exp: 13/45257 (3), need: 27492 MP 4/4 EV 12 Int 3 God: Trog [******] Gold 1672 SH 0 Dex 7 Spells: 0 memorised, 12 levels left Res.Fire : . . . See Invis. : . - Unarmed Res.Cold : . . . Warding : . . A - +2 robe of Calculation {Dex-1 Dam+1} Life Prot.: . . . Conserve : . (shield restricted) Res.Acid. : . . . Res.Corr. : . (helmet restricted) Res.Poison: + Clarity : . b - +0 dwarf cloak Res.Elec. : . Spirit.Shd : . (gloves unavailable) Sust.Abil.: . . Stasis : . (boots unavailable) Res.Mut. : . Ctrl.Telep.: . (no amulet) Res.Rott. : . Levitation : . y - ring of poison resistance Gourmand : + Ctrl.Flight: . F - +0,+7 ring of slaying @: burdened, slow, somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments, very unstealthy A: unfitting armour, claws 3, fast metabolism 3, gourmand, regeneration 2, saprovore 2, tough skin 2, AC +1, Dex -1 a: Burn Spellbooks, Berserk, Trog's Hand, Brothers in Arms, Renounce Religion You were on level 9 of the Dungeon. You worshipped Trog. Trog was exalted by your worship. You were encumbered. You were hungry. You visited 4 branches of the dungeon, and saw 22 of its levels. You visited 1 portal chamber: sewer. You collected 1701 gold pieces. You spent 49 gold pieces at shops. Inventory: Hand weapons X - the +9,+0 battleaxe of Jeas {god gift, chop, rC- Str+3 Dex+1} (Trog gifted it to you on level 3 of the Lair of Beasts) It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies. It affects your strength (+3). It affects your dexterity (+1). It makes you vulnerable to cold. Z - the +6,+3 ankus "Logufy" {god gift, freeze, +Inv rF+ Int+1 SInv} (Trog gifted it to you on level 3 of the Orcish Mines) It has been specially enchanted to freeze those struck by it, causing extra injury to most foes and up to double damage against particularly susceptible opponents. It can also slow down cold-blooded creatures. It affects your intelligence (+1). It protects you from fire. It enhances your eyesight. It lets you turn invisible. Missiles p - 9 +0 large rocks (quivered) Armour b - a +0 dwarven cloak (worn) o - the +2 robe "Okalofek" {rC+} (You found it on level 7 of the Dungeon) It protects you from cold. A - the +2 robe of Calculation (worn) {Dex-1 Dam+1} (You found it on level 6 of the Dungeon) It affects your dexterity (-1). It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+1). Magical devices l - a wand of polymorph other (10) {unknown} t - a wand of frost (3) B - a wand of digging (5) I - a wand of disintegration (8) M - a wand of lightning (10) O - a wand of draining (3) Q - a wand of slowing (9) {unknown} R - a wand of polymorph other (8) {unknown} S - a wand of slowing (7) {unknown} U - a wand of digging (4) Comestibles d - 2 bread rations g - 28 honeycombs W - 15 royal jellies Scrolls f - 3 scrolls of enchant armour {unknown} n - 10 scrolls of detect curse v - 4 scrolls of recharging z - 4 scrolls of teleportation C - 2 scrolls of fog E - a scroll of magic mapping K - a scroll of immolation N - 2 scrolls of blinking P - a scroll of fear {unknown} T - 2 scrolls of identify Jewellery e - an uncursed ring of see invisible j - an uncursed ring of levitation q - an uncursed ring of teleport control r - a cursed amulet of rage s - an uncursed ring of fire y - a ring of poison resistance (right hand) D - a +4 ring of dexterity F - a +0,+7 ring of slaying (left hand) L - an uncursed ring of sustenance V - the ring of the Moon {MR SInv Stlth++} (You found it on level 3 of the Lair of Beasts) [ring of see invisible] It increases your resistance to enchantments. It makes you much more stealthy. Potions a - a potion of invisibility {unknown} c - 2 potions of brilliance h - a potion of berserk rage {unknown} i - a potion of heal wounds m - 9 potions of healing u - a potion of porridge {unknown} w - a potion of resistance {unknown} x - a potion of restore abilities G - 4 potions of might H - 2 potions of speed J - 4 potions of agility Y - a potion of cure mutation {unknown} You had 3 experience left. Skills: + Level 8 Fighting + Level 11 Dodging - Level 2 Stealth - Level 15 Unarmed Combat You had 12 spell levels left. You didn't know any spells. Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations Branches: Dungeon (13/27) Temple (0/1) D:5 Orc (4/4) D:7 Elf (0/5) Orc:4 Lair (3/8) D:9 Hive (2/2) D:11 Swamp: Lair:2-5 Shoals: Lair:3-6 Snake: Lair:3-6 Altars: Kikubaaqudgha Makhleb Sif Muna The Shining One Vehumet Beogh Shops: D:8: / Orc:3: * Orc:4: *=%?( Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations You are too large for most types of armour. You have claws for hands. Your metabolism is lightning-fast. You like to eat raw meat. You heal very quickly. You can eat rotten meat. You are covered in fur (AC +1). You have very tough skin (AC +2). You are clumsy (Dex -1). Message History * * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * * The five-headed hydra bites you! * * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * * The five-headed hydra bites you. * * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * * The five-headed hydra bites you! You die... ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦ ¦¦PPPPP¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦ ¦··P····¦ ····¦ ¦¦P·P··}·¦ ····¦ ¦··PP·@}·¦ ····¦¦¦¦¦··P··D··¦ ····¦·········PPP¦ ····¦·¦¦¦···PPPPP¦ ····'·¦ ¦···PPPPP¦ ····¦·¦¦¦¦···PPPP¦ ········¦¦·····PP¦ ······¦·¦¦¦···PP¦¦ ¦··[·[·>¦¦¦¦···¦¦ ¦··)¦·¦·······¦¦ You could see a five-headed hydra. Vanquished Creatures Jozef (D:10) 2 ogre magi (Orc:4) Nergalle (Orc:4) The ghost of William the Basher, an experienced MDFi of Okawaru (D:8) A centaur warrior (D:13) Erolcha (Orc:4) An unseen horror (D:10) 4 hill giants Pikel (D:9) An orc sorcerer (Orc:4) 2 cyclopes A wolf spider (D:12) The ghost of Eric the Cudgeler, an experienced MDFi (D:6) A weapon mimic (D:11) 3 spiny frogs A black mamba (Lair:2) 2 rock trolls (Orc:4) A komodo dragon (D:12) Grinder (D:5) 6 trolls 3 giant toads 3 two-headed ogres (Orc:4) A wyvern (D:10) 2 sharks (D:11) Edmund (D:5) 11 yaks A steam dragon (D:8) A fire drake (D:9) A deep elf fighter (Orc:4) 2 hippogriffs Grum (D:8) A wraith (D:9) 2 hungry ghosts 7 war dogs 2 manticores A necrophage (D:9) 4 vampire mosquitoes (D:12) 3 slaves (D:9) 6 orc warriors A giant goldfish (D:11) 5 sky beasts 2 phantoms A yak zombie (D:13) The ghost of William the Covered, an average MDFi (Port) An ice beast (D:11) 6 centaurs 6 gila monsters A yellow wasp (D:9) 15 ogres 4 water moccasins A big kobold (D:11) 3 crocodiles A giant slug (Lair:3) 2 wolves 8 giant frogs Blork the orc (D:5) A human skeleton (D:9) A killer bee zombie (D:9) 98 killer bees 7 wights 10 electric eels (D:11) A big kobold zombie (D:10) 7 hounds A big kobold skeleton (D:11) 2 goliath beetles 6 imps 5 big fish 19 orc priests A quasit (D:10) 6 iguanas 24 orc wizards 20 sheep 9 worker ants A worker ant zombie (D:6) 3 scorpions 3 porcupines 6 jellies 3 mummies (D:9) 2 gnolls (D:3) 22 snakes A giant centipede (Lair:2) 37 green rats 2 snake skeletons 3 worms 3 giant eyeballs 3 human zombies (D:9) A megabat skeleton (D:8) 3 giant geckos A gnoll skeleton (D:5) 3 oozes 129 orcs 10 giant cockroaches 13 grey rats (Port) 26 hobgoblins 8 jackals 18 kobolds 2 quokkas A giant gecko zombie (D:10) 14 giant newts A giant spore (D:8) 20 goblins 50 killer bee larvae 19 megabats 2 orc skeletons 29 rats A rat zombie (D:5) 16 small snakes 4 spectral orcs (Orc:4) 16 plants 2 toadstools (Orc:4) 841 creatures vanquished. Vanquished Creatures (collateral kills) A cyclops (Orc:4) 3 trolls (Orc:4) 3 two-headed ogres (Orc:4) 11 ogres (Orc:4) 18 creatures vanquished. Vanquished Creatures (others) A scorpion (D:9) An orc (D:3) A giant spore (D:12) A goblin (D:9) A killer bee larva (Hive:2) A kobold (D:11) 2 toadstools (Orc:1) 8 creatures vanquished. Grand Total: 867 creatures vanquished Notes Turn | Place | Note -------------------------------------------------------------- 0 | D:1 | Splitter, the Troll Berserker, began the quest for the Orb. 0 | D:1 | Reached XP level 1. HP: 18/18 MP: 0/0 320 | D:1 | Reached XP level 2. HP: 25/25 MP: 0/0 946 | D:2 | Reached XP level 3. HP: 33/33 MP: 1/1 981 | D:2 | Acquired Trog's second power 1232 | D:2 | Reached skill level 4 in Unarmed Combat 1691 | D:1 | Reached XP level 4. HP: 31/40 MP: 1/1 2261 | D:3 | Reached XP level 5. HP: 48/48 MP: 1/1 2428 | D:4 | Reached skill level 5 in Unarmed Combat 2437 | D:4 | Reached XP level 6. HP: 44/55 MP: 2/2 2504 | D:4 | Acquired Trog's third power 2683 | D:4 | Reached skill level 6 in Unarmed Combat 3294 | D:5 | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon 3318 | D:5 | Noticed Grinder 3337 | D:5 | Paralysed by Grinder for 5 turns 3349 | D:5 | Defeated Grinder 3349 | D:5 | Reached XP level 7. HP: 64/64 MP: 2/2 3402 | D:5 | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple. 3558 | D:5 | Noticed Edmund 3568 | D:5 | Reached skill level 7 in Unarmed Combat 3572 | D:5 | Defeated Edmund 3612 | D:5 | Reached XP level 8. HP: 71/71 MP: 2/2 3623 | D:5 | Gained mutation: You are clumsy (Dex -1). 3663 | D:5 | Noticed Blork the orc 3672 | D:5 | Defeated Blork the orc 4150 | D:6 | Found a deep blue altar of Sif Muna. 4167 | D:6 | Found a radiant altar of Vehumet. 4182 | D:6 | Reached skill level 8 in Unarmed Combat 4276 | D:6 | Got a slimy robe 4290 | D:6 | Identified the +2 robe of Calculation (You found it on level 6 of the Dungeon) 4443 | D:6 | Noticed Eric's ghost (experienced MDFi) 4458 | D:6 | Defeated Eric's ghost 4553 | D:6 | Found a glowing drain. 4555 | D:6 | Reached skill level 5 in Dodging 4580 | sewer | Entered the sewers 4593 | sewer | Noticed William's ghost (average MDFi) 4616 | sewer | Reached skill level 9 in Unarmed Combat 4621 | sewer | Defeated William's ghost 4902 | sewer | Reached XP level 9. HP: 81/81 MP: 3/3 5475 | D:7 | Paralysed by a giant eyeball for 2 turns 5478 | D:7 | Paralysed by a giant eyeball for 4 turns 5559 | D:7 | Received a gift from Trog 5595 | D:7 | Got a jewelled robe 5603 | D:7 | Identified the +2 robe "Okalofek" (You found it on level 7 of the Dungeon) 5670 | D:7 | Reached skill level 10 in Unarmed Combat 6045 | D:7 | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines. 6103 | D:8 | Noticed Grum 6112 | D:8 | Defeated Grum 6283 | D:8 | Noticed William's ghost (experienced MDFi) 6293 | D:8 | Defeated William's ghost 6293 | D:8 | Reached XP level 10. HP: 89/89 MP: 3/3 6367 | D:8 | Found Ghohism's Magical Wand Emporium. 6427 | D:8 | Found a glowing golden altar of the Shining One. 6510 | D:8 | Reached skill level 5 in Fighting 6855 | D:9 | Received a gift from Trog 6862 | D:9 | Reached skill level 11 in Unarmed Combat 7074 | D:9 | You fall through a shaft! 7074 | D:10 | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon 7170 | D:10 | Noticed Jozef 7199 | D:10 | Defeated Jozef 7405 | D:9 | Noticed Pikel 7426 | D:9 | Defeated Pikel 7454 | D:9 | Found a staircase to the Lair. 7763 | D:9 | Reached skill level 12 in Unarmed Combat 7906 | D:9 | Found an ancient bone altar of Kikubaaqudgha. 8174 | D:10 | Paralysed by a giant eyeball for 3 turns 8571 | Lair:1 | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts 8881 | Orc:1 | Entered Level 1 of the Orcish Mines 8968 | Orc:1 | Reached XP level 11. HP: 97/101 MP: 3/3 8969 | Orc:1 | Reached skill level 13 in Unarmed Combat 9133 | Orc:1 | Received a gift from Trog 9237 | Orc:2 | Found a roughly hewn altar of Beogh. 9396 | Orc:2 | You fall through a shaft! 9396 | Orc:4 | Entered Level 4 of the Orcish Mines 9408 | Orc:4 | Noticed an ogre mage 9418 | Orc:4 | Noticed a two-headed ogre 9420 | Orc:4 | Noticed a two-headed ogre 9421 | Orc:4 | Noticed a rock troll 9429 | Orc:4 | Defeated a two-headed ogre 9430 | Orc:4 | Noticed a cyclops 9432 | Orc:4 | Noticed a rock troll 9433 | Orc:4 | Defeated an ogre mage 9434 | Orc:4 | Defeated a rock troll 9439 | Orc:4 | Noticed a two-headed ogre 9440 | Orc:4 | Defeated a two-headed ogre 9446 | Orc:4 | Noticed a two-headed ogre 9446 | Orc:4 | Defeated a two-headed ogre 9446 | Orc:4 | Defeated a cyclops 9450 | Orc:4 | Defeated a rock troll 9454 | Orc:4 | Defeated a two-headed ogre 9467 | Orc:4 | Noticed an ogre mage 9472 | Orc:4 | Defeated an ogre mage 9627 | Orc:4 | Found Cud Utt's Jewellery Boutique. 9628 | Orc:4 | Noticed a two-headed ogre 9636 | Orc:4 | Defeated a two-headed ogre 9652 | Orc:4 | Found Vuasoa's Magic Scroll Emporium. 9653 | Orc:4 | Noticed a two-headed ogre 9654 | Orc:4 | Found a staircase to the Elven Halls. 9656 | Orc:4 | Noticed a cyclops 9660 | Orc:4 | Defeated a two-headed ogre 9664 | Orc:4 | Received a gift from Trog 9674 | Orc:4 | Defeated a cyclops 9721 | Orc:4 | Found Qappoe Fanu's Food Shop. 9723 | Orc:4 | Found Croynloo's General Store. 9820 | Orc:4 | Reached skill level 1 in Stealth 10142 | Orc:4 | Found Struig's Weapon Shoppe. 10156 | Orc:4 | Noticed Erolcha 10160 | Orc:4 | Defeated Erolcha 10199 | Orc:4 | Reached skill level 14 in Unarmed Combat 10327 | Orc:3 | Found Giak's General Store. 10361 | Orc:3 | Bought a scroll of curse jewellery for 1 gold piece 10361 | Orc:3 | Bought a scroll of remove curse for 48 gold pieces 10453 | Orc:2 | Reached XP level 12. HP: 43/111 MP: 4/4 10952 | Orc:3 | Received a gift from Trog 10953 | Orc:3 | Got a crystal ankus {god gift} 10954 | Orc:3 | Identified the ankus "Logufy" {god gift, freeze, +Inv rF+ Int+1 SInv} (Trog gifted it to you on level 3 of the Orcish Mines) 11600 | Orc:4 | Noticed Nergalle 11607 | Orc:4 | Reached XP level 11. HP: 159/159 MP: 3/3 11616 | Orc:4 | Defeated Nergalle 12207 | D:11 | Reached XP level 12. HP: 107/111 MP: 4/4 13117 | D:12 | Received a gift from Trog 13144 | D:12 | Got a fine bardiche {god gift} 13145 | D:12 | Identified the bardiche of the Harvest {god gift, chop, rF+} (Trog gifted it to you on level 12 of the Dungeon) 14483 | D:13 | Paralysed by a giant eyeball for 3 turns 14489 | D:13 | Paralysed by a giant eyeball for 2 turns 15436 | Lair:1 | Found a burning altar of Makhleb. 15481 | Lair:1 | Received a gift from Trog 15496 | Lair:1 | Got a brightly glowing giant spiked club {god gift} 15497 | Lair:1 | Identified the giant spiked club of Triumph {god gift, pierce, rPois Stlth++} (Trog gifted it to you on level 1 of the Lair of Beasts) 15856 | Lair:2 | Reached skill level 15 in Unarmed Combat 16580 | Lair:3 | Received a gift from Trog 16581 | Lair:3 | Got a bloodstained battleaxe {god gift} 16601 | Lair:3 | Identified the battleaxe of Jeas {god gift, chop, rC- Str+3 Dex+1} (Trog gifted it to you on level 3 of the Lair of Beasts) 16663 | Lair:3 | Reached skill level 10 in Dodging 16909 | Lair:3 | Got an ancient bone ring 16920 | Lair:2 | Identified the ring of the Moon (You found it on level 3 of the Lair of Beasts) 17256 | D:11 | Found a staircase to the Hive. 17641 | Hive:1 | Entered Level 1 of the Hive 17933 | Hive:2 | Entered Level 2 of the Hive 18330 | Hive:2 | Received a gift from Trog 18332 | Hive:2 | Got a transparent giant spiked club {god gift} 18333 | Hive:2 | Identified the cursed giant spiked club "Dikeygh" {god gift, slay orc, -TELE Int+2} (Trog gifted it to you on level 2 of the Hive) 18705 | Hive:2 | Received a gift from Trog 18735 | Hive:2 | Reached XP level 13. HP: 89/120 MP: 4/4 19300 | Hive:1 | Received a gift from Trog 19701 | D:9 | HP: 4/120 [five-headed hydra (6)] 19701 | D:9 | Mangled by a five-headed hydra
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #30
Radii
Head Coach

My first game lasted way longer than I thought it would, I ended up with a score of 2818, dying at level 9 in the orc mines. I figured I'd die there but its my first game so I wanted the experience anyway. Going through the regular levels I don't think I ever got put into any real danger, I had an epic battle with the first imp I ever saw where he couldn't hurt me but i couldn't ever finish him off, after what felt like 1000 turns but was probably 75+ I got tired of getting him to half health and having him blink away so I berserked and finished him off.

I killed a good number of mobs in the Orc Mines, clearing one big room and most of a second down a flight of stairs. I met my match when I ran into a named, Edmund, and the first Troll i'd ever seen at the same time. I hopped back up to the higher level but both followed and I didn't have a chance.

I see in your char dumps gifts from Trog, I didn't get any gifts yet, looking forward to that!

I did find a scroll of acquiring and picked up: a - a +5,+4 dwarven broad axe of flaming (weapon)

That's the best I've seen so far.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #31
Thomkal
Head Coach

Awesome job there Radii, well done.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #32
Radii
Head Coach

Another question, I see you guys mentioning setting aside an area to stash items... is it only blue quality items (ie "runed" or "glowing" or whatever) that you are setting aside to identify or do you hope to identify every single thing you pick up at some point? My angband perspective was always to identify everything b/c as long as I found something like +2,+1 to sell it was worth the use of the identify scrolls, that way I couldn't ever miss an artifact either...

here I've basically been ditching every piece of armor too small for my troll self and every weapon that isn't blue, is it possible i'm hurting myself in some way doing that?
Old 07-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #33
Thomkal
Head Coach

Just got my first god gift for this character-a great Mace of Offence-+3 STR, and antimagic. Thank you very much Trog!
Old 07-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #34
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Another question, I see you guys mentioning setting aside an area to stash items... is it only blue quality items (ie "runed" or "glowing" or whatever) that you are setting aside to identify or do you hope to identify every single thing you pick up at some point? My angband perspective was always to identify everything b/c as long as I found something like +2,+1 to sell it was worth the use of the identify scrolls, that way I couldn't ever miss an artifact either...

here I've basically been ditching every piece of armor too small for my troll self and every weapon that isn't blue, is it possible i'm hurting myself in some way doing that?

good question radii. I generally ignore "non-tagged" weapons and armor unless it a missile weapon I need like an untagged bow or something like plate mail. So I hold on to all those runed and glowing weapons till I can get them identified, same with embroidered or shiny armor and any other tags I'm forgetting. Artifacts are white in color, you can't ever miss one that I'm aware of at least. And it'll have some name like "Twisted great mace" like the god gift I just posted about.

There is a chance "non-tagged" weapons/armor can have some plusses (and minusses), but they are not worth holding on to ID. Since you can't sell anything in this game, and so many "non-tagged" items drop, not worth it in my opinion to cart them around/stash them in hopes of ID'ing them later. On the first and second level of the dungeon, maybe if you have scrolls of detect curse, you could hold on to a bunch and check them all at once if you haven't found tagged stuff yet.

No need at all in this particular case to hold on to armor a troll can't wear, so don't worry not hurting yourself here.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #35
Radii
Head Coach

My next death was a classic "ahh things are moving along quite smoothly here" death of carelessness... also I may be too hesitant to use berserk, always worried that if I use it now when I probably don't need to, I might *really* need it a minute later and be toast.

Anyway, no issues at all for the first 6 levels down, nothign really special either, I did find a +3 dex ring, a first for me. I found a room with some orcs on the 7th level in, nothing that I haven't fought before, I'm pulling a few at a time into a hallway to kill when all of a sudden I lose 75% of my health in one turn, having found an Orc Warrior wielding a halbard of Troll Raping (maybe not its actual name but you wont' convince me otherwise). By the time that happened I'd already pulled him to me and there wasn't much I coudl do about it. Just not paying attention, doh!

Last edited by Radii : 07-25-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #36
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Timid the Troll is doing quite well so far. Level 10 and messing around the main dungeon. I found the Orcish mines, but upon entering the first level found it was only a single room with a single Orc. I don't feel like diving down and then popping up to finish out the first level, so I'll continue to look for the Lair and maybe a wand of digging and a magic mapping scroll.

Good finds so far are a +4,+5 Bow of Frost I got off of a Centaur. Not really a troll specialty, but will do. Also a sling that Trog gifted me, but I haven't used it enough to ID yet and am being tight on the 5 identify scrolls I have.

I named him Timid as that was my gameplan for this one. I've only had to eat real food twice so that is going well. Need some poison resistance, then I will rape the Hive and be set for food.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #37
Lonnie
High School Varsity

11791 Timid the Grappler (level 11, -15/103 HPs)

Poor Timid. I ran around the lair a bit, but without poison resistance I didn't want to go too deep. I decided to go back to the dungeon for a bit and maybe hit up Orcish Mines now that I had a magic mapping scroll to define level one.

Upon exiting the Lair I decided to drop down to level 12 on a staircase I had not checked out yet. There, right next to the staircase, was an eight-headed hydra and an orc. I didn't have the means to fight the hydra, so I read my one and only scroll of teleportation, and started running east. Between me coming down the stairs and reading the scroll, the hydra got 16 chances at me and I was down to half health when the teleport kicked in, and put me about 10 more steps away. The only exit I knew of besides the one I came in was south, so I started heading on down. That's when I ran into Harold and his wand of firebolt. He hit me a couple of times as I was chugging healing potions and trying desperately to make it to the stairs that were five steps away. Ooh another scroll of teleport on the ground, I pick it up hoping to read it. ...and that was the end of Timid. I spoilered my morgue, might make these pages easier to scroll through.

Spoiler
Old 07-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #38
Radii
Head Coach

How do you decide when to start using a weapon over claws? Is there a quantifiable rating somewhere that you use to decide (that I haven't found yet) or some other measure?
Old 07-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #39
Thomkal
Head Coach

RIP Timid

Radii, for me its just when I find a good weapon. Right now Troutface2 is still using claws mostly, I use my god gift great mace mentioned above against magic types, and either a regular sling or a blowgun with poisoned needles to attack from a distance. I used a short sword of venom for a short time as well. And I have a whip of flaming if I need it for cold based mobs. If I find a weapon I want to use over my claws, I use it against easier monsters to get skill level up on it enough so I can switch permanently.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #40
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Don't worry, Timid II already has a ring of sustenance and a ring of resist poison. I have faith he will be even greater that his daddy.

As far as switching to a weapon, you will get a lot of nice weapons from Trog. I try to get a few levels in each and still keep unarmed maxed. Since Timid was level 10 unarmed I had switched to Axes, although I usually go for Hammers first so that if I don't have a flame weapon by the time I get to Hydras then I'll have something to fight them with. With Timid II I already have found a decent hammer and am developing it as well as unarmed. If I get an ego sword or axe, I will definitely switch.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:31 AM   #41
thesloppy
Pro Starter

My first try ended rather quickly, as an enraged Duvessa poked me real good:

Spoiler
Old 07-26-2011, 05:29 AM   #42
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Try #2, Mesothelioma, does pretty well, and picks up a couple artifact weapons...but unfortunately for him he's also still got me at the controls, and death is always right behind:

Spoiler
Old 07-26-2011, 07:03 AM   #43
thesloppy
Pro Starter

A little further each time, but Soft Taco eventually succumbs to a mob summoned by a high priest in the orc mines:

Spoiler

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-26-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #44
Thomkal
Head Coach

good job there sloppy getting a little better each time. It does get a bit easier for the next character because you become more and more familiar with the mobs-which ones you can take on and which ones to avoid. Before you know it, you'll be grabbing runes left and right.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #45
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

in my frst try i eventually poisoned myself to death on spoiled meat. there were no enemies around and i had perfectly good meat to choose from too. got up to level 4 i think.

question: in most rpgs, you add almost everything you find to your inventory, with the intention that you'll be able to sell it eventually, but in this game, i am assuming you leave a lot of loot still laying around right? there's never an opportunity to sell goods?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #46
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
in my frst try i eventually poisoned myself to death on spoiled meat. there were no enemies around and i had perfectly good meat to choose from too. got up to level 4 i think.

question: in most rpgs, you add almost everything you find to your inventory, with the intention that you'll be able to sell it eventually, but in this game, i am assuming you leave a lot of loot still laying around right? there's never an opportunity to sell goods?

Lighthouse I poisoned myself a few times when I first starting playing Crawl because I didn't know I could look at the meat on the ground (letter x, arrow over to meat, then v for describe) or in my inventory to see if it was hazardous to my health or not.

And yes you are correct-leave a lot of loot lying around because there's no way of selling it. If you choose certain gods I believe, you can sacrifice items to them (like Trog's Burn Spellbooks) to get rid of some of the clutter while getting a benefit from it, otherwise no reason to do anything with it.

Last edited by Thomkal : 07-26-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #47
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Timid II passed on in a burst of stupidity. He really had everything going for him too.

3541 Timid II the Ducker (level 9, -4/81 HPs) - not even as good as his Pappy.

I was fighting a hippogryph, which at level 9 can be a challenge, but you should usually win. We traded blows and when I was down to half life, he had just a sliver of life left and started to run north. Of course I pursued to finish him off. Up..Up..Up..Up..you die. What? He was a space ahead of me! Lesson learned - watch your messages. If I was paying proper attention I would have seen that some that I couldn't see on the map was gnawing my leg off while I was chasing my prey.

Spoiler
Old 07-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #48
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ooof Lonnie, that's a tough one to take. Its very easy to get complacent in roguelikes when you have a strong character you are playing-and then tap, tap, tap, dead. Better luck next time.

Troutface2 is still hanging in there-visited the Lair for the first time while trying to avoid a five headed hydra and cleared a couple levels, now visiting the Orcish Halls for the first time and hoping to survive it. Been getting god gifts with regularity-some ammo mixed with the weapons, but so far nothing I want to use as my primary weapon.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #49
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Sometimes you see monsters that are blocked off kind of like in a display area. Are you supposed to knock down the walls and fight them?
Old 07-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #50
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Not usually as they are high levels and are there just to make you take notice. Sometimes there may be a hidden door, but if you see Angels and Demons you will probably want to move on down the road instead of looking for a secret door to death.

My recommendation on the Orcish Mines is to only do the first 3 levels then go back to the Lair. There are often some really tough Orc Knights and Summoners on the 4th level. If you still don't have poison resistance for the Lair then just dive in the dungeon.

Timid III is not even post worthy. Timid IV is level 10 and looking for trouble.