Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Direct TV Uggggh

So here I am a week plus after ordering a new HD Receiver and Direct Tv is now telling me my order has not shipped. So I inquire why and after 45 minutes of run around am told that I need to pay an upgrade fee of $50 plus an installation fee of another $50 along with the $99 receiver charge or I can order it online. When I explain I already tried to order online they say that I will have to just order through the sales department and pay the extra fees and have a tech come out and install the box. Really install as in unplug the old box and plug in the new box? Finally just hung up no further along. Anyone have this issue? What does it cost to order an HD receiver from a third party and is that possible?

cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
cuervo72
Head Coach

Huh - actually I just ordered one last week (free with a 2yr commitment) and it came in about two days. I tried ordering online first; I put it in my cart and left it overnight, after which it had added an HD dish (already have) and installation charge. Canceled and ordered by phone explaining the situation.

This is our second HD box; the first came from Best Buy and ran just under $200 I think. Though that was still just a lease and was technically through Directv.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Yes, I've had that issue.

That is why I would never ever go back to Directv.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
RendeR
Coordinator

Been with Dtv for 6+ years now, I'll never go to anyone else. I upgrade to whole home DVR service a few months back, got the installation and equipment upgrades for free (including 1(one) HD-DVR, and then paid 99.00 for a second HD-DVR.

All said and done it cost me maybe 120 bucks total to upgrade my entire house (including My tenant Macroguru's apartment) to full HD with HD-DVRs in two rooms. They gave me 10 bucks off for 12 months for upgrading and took 20 bucks off my NFL Sunday ticket cost because I complained that they were giving it away for FREE to other people. I tried to sound upset and that helped a little.

Someone has mentioned before do NOT talk to the first sales rep you get on the phone, they know absolutely shit and they just try and upsell you everything. They also don't have the privileges to give you the program discounts that the retention reps do.

Ask to be handed off to someone who wants to keep you as a customer. Then you'll get somewhere fast.

Good luck.

Best TV service I have EVER used.

Last edited by RendeR : 11-30-2011 at 10:29 PM.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:07 PM   #6
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
So here I am a week plus after ordering a new HD Receiver and Direct Tv is now telling me my order has not shipped. So I inquire why and after 45 minutes of run around am told that I need to pay an upgrade fee of $50 plus an installation fee of another $50 along with the $99 receiver charge or I can order it online. When I explain I already tried to order online they say that I will have to just order through the sales department and pay the extra fees and have a tech come out and install the box. Really install as in unplug the old box and plug in the new box? Finally just hung up no further along. Anyone have this issue? What does it cost to order an HD receiver from a third party and is that possible?

If you already have an HD Reciever and its not an upgrade tell them you'll install it yourself - they let me do that, not particularly hard ...

Only thing they're sticklers for is returning the old box, they threaten nasty things if you don't (like charging you its full cost which apparently is more than your average Xbox360 shockingly enough).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:15 PM   #7
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I actually just got a new HD tv so I want to take the old box in put it in the kids room with an older TV and put the new HD box on my new TV, pretty simple. I still do not get why someone needs to come and install the darn thing since all the did when we got Direct TV is plug in to the wall outlet. I see I can order the H24 box which is what I have in one of the other rooms through Amazon which I am considering doing. Anyone have any thoughts on that avenue?
Old 12-01-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It might depend on which dish you have. If you didn't have HD service before, there are different satellites which require a new dish/LNB combo to pickup the channels. Also depending on which dish you have, it might need some extra hardware to be able to support multiple receivers.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I have the extra hardware for more receivers as I had the installer put that in at the initial install. I also already have the H24 in one room along with the HD DVR in the other room.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
RendeR
Coordinator

If you didn't have HD when you got the dish installed you have to have an entire new dish put on the house to receive HD service. This is probably the sticking point that you were missing.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #11
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'll piggy back onto this thread.

After years in the stone age, I am finally going to upgrade to HD. I have DirecTV DVR now and plan to keep DirecTV b/c of Sunday Ticket.

I will need to upgrade to their HD DVR package, but want to do so as cheaply as possible.

What's the best game plan to do that? Should I call and say that I am thinking of upgrading or leaving and can I please talk to retention? Or should I say that I am planning on leaving and let them send me to retention?

And what is a good deal in this situation? What should I reasonable expect to get for free? What should I reasonably expect to have to pay for?

And, finally, is it easy/possible to transfer DVR'd shows from my current box to the new box, or will they be lost to the transfer?

Any and all advice is very much appreciated.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #12
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I'll piggy back onto this thread.

After years in the stone age, I am finally going to upgrade to HD. I have DirecTV DVR now and plan to keep DirecTV b/c of Sunday Ticket.

I will need to upgrade to their HD DVR package, but want to do so as cheaply as possible.

What's the best game plan to do that? Should I call and say that I am thinking of upgrading or leaving and can I please talk to retention? Or should I say that I am planning on leaving and let them send me to retention?

And what is a good deal in this situation? What should I reasonable expect to get for free? What should I reasonably expect to have to pay for?

And, finally, is it easy/possible to transfer DVR'd shows from my current box to the new box, or will they be lost to the transfer?

Any and all advice is very much appreciated.

How long have you been with DTV? Have you gotten anything for free lately? Are you still under your original terms?
Old 12-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #13
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
How long have you been with DTV? Have you gotten anything for free lately? Are you still under your original terms?

Moved to this house in 2004; been with them the whole time. Got the DVR soon after that, I think. On some deal where the DVR is free. Have not changed plans or terms with them otherwise. Call to bitch about Sunday Ticket every year to get 1/2 off the price. Otherwise, me and them tend not to talk much :-)
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #14
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Moved to this house in 2004; been with them the whole time. Got the DVR soon after that, I think. On some deal where the DVR is free. Have not changed plans or terms with them otherwise. Call to bitch about Sunday Ticket every year to get 1/2 off the price. Otherwise, me and them tend not to talk much :-)

I'd definitely call and tell them Dish or cable is offering an upgrade to free HD. Because, really they are, all you'd have to do is sign up. Direct will more than likely do the same. You should get at least a free install on an HD dish, and a free HD DVR.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #15
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Nope Render we had HD when they installed our service and currently have an HD DVR and an HD receiver.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #16
RendeR
Coordinator

Odd then Cub, normally if you already have the service they just ship you the new machine. You may have gotten a clueless wonder sales...err customer service rep

Call back and complain about teh previous call and suggest they do something to keep you from jumping to dish who are throwing the kitchen sink at you to switch.

bet you get someone MUCH more pliable.