Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Going Through my First Workplace Strike

I have my opinions on this subject...however I am going to *try* the best that I can to give the facts from both sides and get an opinion.

I work at a company that has around 750 employees, 300 of them are Union workers in our manufacturing plant. Friday, after a week of negotiations, they walked out on their jobs and decided to strike. They blocked the exit to the plant, the cops came and a few were arrested for their conduct.

So basically as salaried, exempt employees we have to arrive at work at 830am and leave at 430pm because of this strike. This is the time arranged by the local cops to come and "control" the situation and force the union to make a path for us to get in.

Before the strike the following has happened to the Exempt employees:
25 layed off, 5% pay cut, forced one week unpaid vacation, no 401k matching till the beginning of 2013.

Before the strike the following has happened to the Union employees:
Forced 1 week unpaid vacation (company was dumb enough not to read the fine print in the contract to read that the union can use personal days for furlough days).

Let's just saying driving through the line has been interesting coming and leaving work. People yelling at me, spitting on my car, saying I don't support them....blah blah blah.

Do these people understand that if we don't come to work there might not be a job to come back to? Do they understand that there is 8% unemployment and they willingly walked out on their jobs?

I want them to get everything they can but after all of what has happened to the salary people, the union is demanding a 3.5% pay increase each year for the next 3 years. Add to the fact that they are now infringing on my life...I just don't get why they didn't work without a contract and still barter with the company. I fear the worst for them...that the company wants to break the union and they won't have a job.

I know Unions had their time in the American workforce history where they were needed, but have they gone too far?

Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

I'd say in most situations, unions have gone too far. Based on what you're outlining, it seems like this is one of those cases. I do think I can understand the importance of a union much more coming from workers in a manufacturing plant, than say a teacher's union (which my mother is a part of), even in 2012.

That being said, I thought this was going to be about the NFL refs. Two for two in your "field" buddy, nicely done!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I fear the worst for them...that the company wants to break the union and they won't have a job.

They walked out willingly, they don't deserve a job.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This seems like a perfect time to break the union. Having a vague knowledge of what you do, these guys are all paid really well I would guess. No sense in throwing away, what, at least $30/hour because you feel like you should get 32.50
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
chadritt
High School Varsity

This is my first year working union jobs, Ive participated in one picket line previously though, and Ive got to say i wish more of my work was union. From what I understand my guild/union is different from teamsters but the benefits to the workers have strongly outweighed the small inconveniences i can see caused thus far.

I will say that when I was walking a picket line the worst we did to the company employees was point at them as they drove in. We didnt block them and we sure didnt spit on them even though the company was videotaping us so they could blacklist us in the future.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
This seems like a perfect time to break the union. Having a vague knowledge of what you do, these guys are all paid really well I would guess. No sense in throwing away, what, at least $30/hour because you feel like you should get 32.50

Vague union stereotypes for $200, Alex

Nowadays, your typical strike is not for more wages but in response to drastic cuts, particularly in benefits plans. I suppose it's possible to try to walk out for more money right now but that seems less likely.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Jon...I wouldn't say they ALL walked out willingly. I know some of the younger members and they refused to walk the picket line (and pay the fines cause they don't) because they didn't want to strike. The executive board made the decision last friday and they walked.

I won't make a comment on how well or not they are compensated because I am sure they think I am paid too much. However, I have gotten to know two of the new employees (they've been hired over the past year) from our company golf league. Coming from their previous job they got a 100% pay increase and the one guy's direct comment to me was "People out in the shop don't know how good they have it."

To SI's point...it's more than just wages like you said. The company doesn't want a pension plan anymore and do not want any more people being able to join it starting Jan 2013. In return they would up their matching on the 401k from 3% to 6%.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
molson
General Manager

Is there a story behind the cuts, like, an idea that the company is doing great and they just awarded bonuses to upper management and need to pay for it with cuts to others? Or is the company struggling financially?

I had a 5% paycut a few years back (non-union), I was glad that's all it was, because I knew the financial shape of the organization at the time. I got it back with raises later, but if I felt like they were using bad economic news to permanently reduce salaries, I could at least understand the emotional reaction that leads to decisions that might be irrational.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Lord knows where I worked kept salaries artificially low under the "it's hard times" for the last few years. No raises or COLA from anyone in the division- just more hours and work and barriers to hiring more help- and that from a company that kept turning over $2B in profit per quarter even through the worst of the recession in 2008 and 2009. Good news, tho, when they cut our pay between 2.5% and 10%, our magnanimous CEO took a pay cut of 20%... to his salary. But when you take his total compensation into account, it was less than 1% of the cash he was paid that year.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
JediKooter
Coordinator

Went on strike once when I worked for the phone company. Everyone knew each other even though it was a pretty big building. When managers or other exempt employees came to work, we just waved at them.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Vague union stereotypes for $200, Alex

Nowadays, your typical strike is not for more wages but in response to drastic cuts, particularly in benefits plans. I suppose it's possible to try to walk out for more money right now but that seems less likely.

SI

If they want things like a pension and benefits in 2012, they're likely going to be fighting a losing battle.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #12
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Is there a story behind the cuts, like, an idea that the company is doing great and they just awarded bonuses to upper management and need to pay for it with cuts to others? Or is the company struggling financially?

We are struggling however we are still making money. We're a publically traded company and we will come no where near making our project profit for the year. So instead of the stock price taking a hit, we are taking the brunt of it.

This next part is just speculation by me...but we were bought by this company 7 or 8 years ago. The company has been trying to change the culture here for years to try to get everyone to but into "their way" of doing business. Well some have and some haven't. I think all of this is their way of weeding out the ones who haven't.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #13
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

hire a bunch of pinkertons to come and in mow down the troublemakers. that'll teach em

Last edited by NorvTurnerOverdrive : 08-29-2012 at 01:46 PM.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #14
RendeR
Coordinator

I love the working conditions that unions helped develop in this country, that said, Union demands and over-reaching for the jobs they do have utterly wrecked many businesses and have damaged the national economy in massive ways.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #15
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I love the working conditions that unions helped develop in this country, that said, Union demands and over-reaching for the jobs they do have utterly wrecked many businesses and have damaged the national economy in massive ways.

+1. Unions had their time. 2012 is not that time.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #16
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Two more people got arrested today jumping in front of a car and failing to move when police instructed them to move away from the car's path.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #17
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I feel for the manufacturers of lift kits, truck nuts and "no fear" stickers. This strike will probably hit them hard.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #18
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Two more people got arrested today jumping in front of a car and failing to move when police instructed them to move away from the car's path.

Bullshit like this makes me wish they get what they deserve- arrested, job loss, etc

Much like protestors, believe whatever it is you believe, but when you start infringing on my life, not only am I no longer sympathetic to your cause, but I'm now actively rooting against you.

Sucks you've got to deal with their bullshit when you're just doing what you're being paid to do.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #19
tarcone
Coordinator

Good thing your getting married. Now you can be a stay at home husband if need be.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #20
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
If they want things like a pension and benefits in 2012, they're likely going to be fighting a losing battle.

Pensions are a recipe for disaster for companies' balance sheets long term. I'm amazed there is one still one with an active program.

Time for the hired goons

Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:49 AM   #21
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post

I think it works both ways. I can point to countless companies with execs making huge bonuses as people are being fired or seeing benefits cut.

It's a free market and a union gives people leverage. I feel everyone should get what they can get in this world union or not. If a business fails over it, they shouldn't have agreed to those terms. And in the same token, a business has every right to let those people walk and bring in people willing to work for the offered salary.

It's sad that politics have made people think that employment negotiations have to be one-sided.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:56 AM   #22
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Pensions are a recipe for disaster for companies' balance sheets long term. I'm amazed there is one still one with an active program.

It depends, companies were able to do it in the past. In recent times though companies get raided and pensions mishandled. Tough to balance long term if all your extra cash is going toward bonuses at the top.

I would personally rather have a 401k in this era since I would have more control over it long term and don't have to fear an Enron type situation with it. 6% match is quite good these days and I would be happy with that.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:32 AM   #23
Brownkeg8
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think it works both ways. I can point to countless companies with execs making huge bonuses as people are being fired or seeing benefits cut.

It's a free market and a union gives people leverage. I feel everyone should get what they can get in this world union or not. If a business fails over it, they shouldn't have agreed to those terms. And in the same token, a business has every right to let those people walk and bring in people willing to work for the offered salary.

It's sad that politics have made people think that employment negotiations have to be one-sided.

Very well said
Brownkeg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:54 AM   #24
Autumn
Head Coach

Like is said above, it's a two-way street. If unions are overreaching and asking for too much, the same can certainly be said for much of business owners and management. Management doesn't generally pull any punches in watching their bottom line, and their own pocketbooks, so it's natural employees don't either.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #25
molson
General Manager

I think it's a case by case situation. If a company can do just as well or make more money from the pool of unemployed workers than they can with their current works, its tough to see getting tough with the current employees and the unions as overreaching. But if workers really think the company will be hurt without their presence, then hell ya they should organize, get together, get every penny they can. Where mistakes are made is when replaceable workers get emotional and make irrational decisions based on perceptions of fairness. Sometimes workers are responsible for a company's success, but sometimes they're just the tool used to make that success happen, and other tools could be used just as well.

Edit: I guess I can see the more intangible/emotional kind of argument that a company is just morally obligated to give their current employee advantages and the benefit of the doubt when compared to a comparable unemployed person, I've just never thought that way. There's plenty of people who would love the opportunity to do the job better. And from the perspective of middle managers, small business owners, and even higher ups at companies, these are really big calls that can effect their careers and livelihoods as well, it isn't always just anonymous rich uncle pennybags mistreating workers on a whim.

Last edited by molson : 08-31-2012 at 10:36 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #26
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

I agree in most cases, though in Michigan we've seen what happens when businesses agree to too much and the only way out is to move jobs to other countries.

Where I strongly disagree is the public sector. When the "business" is using taxpayer money for those negotiations, it doesn't seem fair.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote