Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
booradley
High School Varsity

Best post-apocalyptic books?

Kind of getting into this lately - my new "thing." Any serious recommendations, apart from 'The Road'? Gone through that one already ...

P.S. I've read 'The Hunger Games' as well.

Last edited by booradley : 09-16-2012 at 06:16 PM.
booradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

S.M. Stirling's Emberverse series?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
bob
College Starter

Its more pre-post apocalypse, and I'm only 1/4 in, but I'm enjoying The Last Policeman. Have another one, The Dog Star, up next.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
rowech
Pro Starter

The Stand and Swan Song.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

The Stand
Old 09-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
molson
General Manager

Earth Abides and Alas, Babylon are two old-school books in this genre (40s and 50s), I think I learned about both in a previous post-apocalyptic books thread on FOFC, and I enjoyed both.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
twothree
College Prospect

Edenborn by Nick Sagan.

It is the second book in a trilogy. I would recommend reading the first book, Idlewild before reading Edenborn. However, Idlewild is not a post-apocalyptic book, but science fiction.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'll second or third the Stand, Earth Abides, and Swan Song.

I'd throw in Lucifer's Hammer to make up my top 4.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy is pretty good (if you can read his stuff).

If you are willing to do graphic novels, The Walking Dead is obviously very well regarded around here. And if you like Zombie and/or horror (where the "end of the world" is not caused by a natural disaster), The Rising, City of the Dead, and Dead Sea by Brian Keene are fun and fit in the genre. The Conqueror Worms (despite its cheesy title and artwork), is fun, as well.

Cell by Stephen King is pretty fun.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

The Stand is awesome, while I'm not overly religious I enjoyed the first 5-6 books of the left behind series a lot .... I'd also recommend S.M. Stirling's series where technology stops working (can't recall what its called).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #10
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
The Stand is awesome, while I'm not overly religious I enjoyed the first 5-6 books of the left behind series a lot .... I'd also recommend S.M. Stirling's series where technology stops working (can't recall what its called).
Dies the Fire is the first one by Stirling. Not a bad read, but the wiccan religion stuff turned me off.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #11
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Have to go with some classics - I Am Legend (not the nonsense movie but the original book by Matheson) and Canticle for Leibowitz, and Nevil Shute's On the Beach.

If you want graphic novels as Swaggs mentioned, I'd throw in Y: The Last Man.

Last edited by Peregrine : 09-16-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah - On the Beach is a great call.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Dies the Fire is the first one by Stirling. Not a bad read, but the wiccan religion stuff turned me off.

Suggested those already - it's the "Emberverse" series. And me personally, I usually skim through all the wiccan-religion junk in those books and find I enjoy them just fine.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Watch The Walking Dead (at least season 1. Have heard bad things about 2)

Play Fallout 3
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'll echo the mentions of Swan Song and Lucifer's Hammer, especially the former.

I think the movie may have dimmed people on another one, but I'd still recommend David Brin's The Postman.

And if you find yourself in the mood for something much more pulpy, try William Johnstone's series The Ashes. Not much in the way of depth but certainly plenty of post-apolcalyptic combat for what had to be close to two dozen books.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #16
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I really liked Ex-Heroes which takes place after a Zombie apocalypse. Oh did I mention it has super heroes as well?
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #17
tarcone
Coordinator

The Stand in on my to read list after I finish re-reading a song of fire and ice, which is kind of pre-post-apocalyptic

I enjoyed the left behind series as well. But thats not really post-apocalyptic.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #19
AlexB
Pro Starter

I love The Passage - one of my favourite books. Great read.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #20
booradley
High School Varsity

Thanks for the help. Not so much into zombies, but more into how modern humanity will adapt when the machines stop working, and traditional political boundaries are erased.
booradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #21
gi
College Prospect

The Dark Tower series has elements on that aspect.

Last edited by gi : 09-17-2012 at 09:39 AM.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #22
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post
more into how modern humanity will adapt when ... traditional political boundaries are erased.

A common theme seems to be the attempt to restore them as much as possible. Altered/improved perhaps, or changed due to new realities, but along the same general notions as before "the event".

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-17-2012 at 09:55 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #23
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Heinlein's Farnham's Freehold is a good read, but doesn't focus as much on the societal level.

Last edited by JPhillips : 09-17-2012 at 10:09 AM.
JPhillips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #24
whomario
Pro Starter

@ bob : Loved The Last Policeman

more of a classic (and a bit outdated), but J.G. Ballards The Drowned World should get a mention, the thing making it a bit different from others is that the characters are in a way facinated by what the world has become.

Another classic would be Mary Shelley´s The Last Man

And not really fiction, but Alana Weisman´s World Without Us is pretty cool. Basically it´s him going on the assumption of mankind disapearing like "poof" and what would happen then.

I need to finally tackle Cronin´s book, allways put it off and read other stuff for some reason ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #25
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Heinlein's Farnham's Freehold is a good read, but doesn't focus as much on the societal level.

Damned if I didn't almost mention that one myself.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #26
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

"Canticle for Leibowitz" is probably my favorite of the genre.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #27
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

First thing I thought of when I saw the thread was The Stand as it's the quintessential post-apocalyptic book. Yes, there's a plague that wipes out practically all of humanity. But that's only the first quarter of the book and then you get into the battle of good vs evil. Bad special effects aside, I like the made for TV miniseries back when they actually had a little bit of a budget. The runtime is 6 hours long

I'll warn away from The Road as Cormack McCarthy is hard to read and the book basically reads like "hey, the world sucks and it's all meaningless". If you're into that, go nuts, but it's by no means my cup of tea. It's the opposite of The Stand, in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Play Fallout 3

Agreed 100%. I didn't worship the original Fallout like a lot but Fallout 3 is worthy of all the praise heaped on it. Bonus points if you live in DC (or nearby as I did in Richmond at the time). It's tremendously immersive and a great post-nuclear world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
"Canticle for Leibowitz" is probably my favorite of the genre.

Agreed 100%. It's a little dated now but it's an excellent book. Only somewhat related but I love the theme of a current civilization thinking that it's the most advanced that civilization has ever been.

World War Z is a nice short book and even tho I'm not a zombie fanatic, I liked it quite a bit. I really liked it as an audio book- that added to the verbal history part of the book.

Lastly, anime has made a killing on this sort of thing. You can go with a classic series like Neon Genesis Evangelion or Cartoon Network frequenter Big O. Tho if you wanted something that has a concrete ending and no an "anime ending", you'll be sorely disappointed (heck, NGE's ending supposedly garnered death threats for the writer). One of Miyazaki's first movies, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, takes place 1000 years into the future in a post-apocalyptic future.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #28
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
One of Miyazaki's first movies, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, takes place 1000 years into the future in a post-apocalyptic future.

SI

Oh wow. I had friends like 10yrs ago who were anime fiends...Nausicaa was like...our most frequently watched movie. Bonus points for you!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #29
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Oh wow. I had friends like 10yrs ago who were anime fiends...Nausicaa was like...our most frequently watched movie. Bonus points for you!

Just saw it a couple of weeks ago so it was fresh on my mind.

Museum of Fine Arts Houston was doing a Miyazaki series at their little theater through August and my wife and I saw Spirited Away on my birthday. I started looking at which major Miyazaki movies I hadn't seen and that was near the top of the list so we picked it up from the library here and watched it. Oddly enough, the other major one I haven't seen is Princess Mononoke even tho I've seen Spirited Away twice and Castle in the Sky.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #30
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'll warn away from The Road as Cormack McCarthy is hard to read and the book basically reads like "hey, the world sucks and it's all meaningless". If you're into that, go nuts, but it's by no means my cup of tea. It's the opposite of The Stand, in my mind.

As stated in the OP, he's already read it. Besides, I think you are getting the wrong message out of it. The Road is more about the world sucks and seems meaningless, but there is hope even in the darkest of situations.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #31
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
As stated in the OP, he's already read it. Besides, I think you are getting the wrong message out of it. The Road is more about the world sucks and seems meaningless, but there is hope even in the darkest of situations.

This. It's hopeful in the same way as Beckett's Waiting for Godot.

I can't go on.

I'll go on.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #32
KWhit
Coordinator

I've read most of what's been mentioned here and enjoyed:

The Stand
Lucifer's Hammer
Swan Song
World War Z
Earth Abides

Cell is okay and so is One Second After also.

But one that I highly recommend that I haven't seen mentioned is The Last Ship by William Brinkley.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:03 PM   #33
Edward64
Head Coach

I've finished reading the Autumn series.

Not really action packed, the writing sometimes dragged on but I enjoyed the situations he put his survivors through. A fun read.

Autumn: David Moody: 9780312569983: Amazon.com: Books
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:30 AM   #34
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

World Made by Hand.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote