Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

Open Face Chinese Poker

(reserved for future use as a reference/resource section if this thread develops)

Link to the app: Chinese Open Face Poker Mobile App

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

I've been playing this game a bit lately... it's oddly addictive. It's become pretty popular among poker players, though the game structure (other than the hand rankings and obvious stuff like that) has rather little to do with conventional poker.

The app takes a convoluted game and makes it very speedy and portable.

I'm personally not so sure that there's a huge differential in expected outcomes between a decent player and an excellent one, but I don't claim any real expertise. It is interesting that there seems to be only a fledgling universe of serious strategy writing out there... I guess it's so intensely situational, it's hard to describe many things generally.

I'd be interested if there's a player community here to have conversation about the game -- variations, strategy, and the like.

Go.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

Oh, and by the way:

-yes, I am on GameCenter
-no, I don't want to play against you for free
-yes, I do play for some money, but just trivial stakes for now at least
Old 07-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Intriguing. At first glance it looks like Pai Gow on steroids.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

Article on growing popularity

hxxp://www.pokernews.com/muck/open-face-chinese-poker-growing-at-the-world-series-of-poker.htm
Old 07-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Since you've played a bit, QS, how often does it happen that you end up with an illegal hand? It seems that would be a fairly regular occurrence, since you fill in your hands as you go.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Oh, and by the way:

-yes, I am on GameCenter
-no, I don't want to play against you for free
-yes, I do play for some money, but just trivial stakes for now at least

Never heard of it but it looks promising. Especially with the possibility of eventually playing for money.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Never heard of it but it looks promising. Especially with the possibility of eventually playing for money.

Playing for money, possibly promising. Playing against Quik for money? Less promising.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:12 AM   #9
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour... it's cool, that's why Quik brought us all together.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #10
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Since you've played a bit, QS, how often does it happen that you end up with an illegal hand? It seems that would be a fairly regular occurrence, since you fill in your hands as you go.

That's a really big part of the game...it's pretty uncommon to be down to your last card or two and not at least have the potential to foul your hand.

If you like/appreciate things like "counting outs" in poker, that mentality is very much in play in this game. All the time, I'm trying to decide where to place my third-to-last card and having to sort out the count of (sometimes) the good cards left, or (sometimes) the bad cards left as part of that decision.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
digamma
Torchbearer

I am also on GameCenter (sven1400) and can add my endorsement (fwiw) for this game. Now is a good time to get involved as there was an update to the app yesterday with some meaningful updates (adding a chat feature, including a little more game customizability and making one change to the Fantasyland structure).

What is Fantasyland?

Well, those of us who have been have sworn an oath of secrecy....no it is a game variation that gives you a next hand "bonus" for making a very strong 3 card hand. The bonus is getting to look at all of your cards at one time as opposed to one at a time. I think the allure of Fantasyland is one of the best parts of the game.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Intriguing. At first glance it looks like Pai Gow on steroids.

That's a fair comparison to the standard game of Chinese Poker...where you get 13 cards at once and set your three ordered hands. Definitely like pai gow or pai gow poker taken to a new level.

The "open face" addition makes the game much, much deeper, and far more strategic. Watching the hands develop as yours does step by step, and the potential to form an illegal hand makes this game really fascinating.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
Subby
lolzcat

I am in a regular game with MalcPow and digamma and Quik. It was pretty pedestrian until we introduced Fantasyland. Fantasyland is the key to making OFCP awesome. Well, that and playing for money.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #14
wade moore
lolzcat

I'm on the "on gamecenter, will play for small cash" bandwagon.

Wam13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote