Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
Easy Mac

2014 TV show thread

I figure we can start a new thread, since the last post in the prior thread was on 12/31.

Did anyone else watch The Assets on ABC? The critics have seemed to go out of their way to say it's not horrible, but I just don't see it. The acting was atrocious, the sets felt thrown together, and the editing was just odd. It didn't feel like scenes had any natural flow or that the characters were real people. I started watching Orphan Black today, and in comparison The Assets just seemed amateurish.

I was hoping this would tide me over until The Americans came back, but I don't see that happening.

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
Thomkal
Head Coach

I watched the first episode-I went in "blind"-had not seen previews just knew it was about the CIA and espionage. Did not realize it was based on real events. I thought it was okay, but won't be watching future episodes. Acting wasn't bad-other than perhaps the advisor? mentor? to the lead female character. Not great acting either.

I think they tried to show they were real people especially with the female lead-the scenes with her family where she had to keep them separate from her work life-overhearing her daughter on the phone about how terrible a mother she was, etc. It was the first hours of a short run series so I'm not sure we'll see much attempt beyond the female lead to show them as "real people"-viewers will be more interested in the traitor and espionage scenes anyway.

It was pretty interesting see how far we've come technologically since the 80's when this show is set in-we'd be doing things far far differently today in the same situation with all the technology available for intelligence agencies to use.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Justified returns Tuesday night, with more Crowe's, more Wynn Duffy, and generally amazing reviews of its first few episodes.

Spoiler

And Archer returns the 13th.

Spoiler

If you're looking for new shows, idk, I'm probably just a sucker for the genre, but Michael Bay is producing a "prequel" series to Treasure Island. It should be... interesting at least. Premieres on Starz on the 25th. There's also a new SyFy show called Helix coming the 10th getting pretty favorable reviews.
Spoiler

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-05-2014 at 12:08 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Justified returns Tuesday night, with more Crowe's, more Wynn Duffy, and generally amazing reviews of its first few episodes.

Seeing Boyd and Wynn Duffy together multiple times in that preview has me really excited.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah - Black Sailz looks like it could be fun. If it's "Spartacus-style Pirates" I'll enjoy it. Anything more is total gravy AFAIC.

Helix is something they've been promoting the hell out of - looking forward to seeing if it holds up to their hype.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #6
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

2 new shows on my radar are Helix on SyFy and True Detective on HBO.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
MrBug708
Head Coach

Downton Abbey comes back tonight
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #8
korme
Go Reds

Looking forward to True Detective.

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #9
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I figure we can start a new thread, since the last post in the prior thread was on 12/31.

Did anyone else watch The Assets on ABC? The critics have seemed to go out of their way to say it's not horrible, but I just don't see it. The acting was atrocious, the sets felt thrown together, and the editing was just odd. It didn't feel like scenes had any natural flow or that the characters were real people. I started watching Orphan Black today, and in comparison The Assets just seemed amateurish.

I was hoping this would tide me over until The Americans came back, but I don't see that happening.

I wasn't a big fan of it. I will watch another episode just to be sure though...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #10
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Looking forward to True Detective.

I look forward to my wife being horny after watching Matthew McConnaghey in a cop show
Old 01-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #11
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I look forward to my wife being horny after watching Matthew McConnaghey in a cop show

Is it sad that I pick movies on the weekend based on the percent chance that they could make my wife horny?
Old 01-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is it sad that I pick movies on the weekend based on the percent chance that they could make my wife horny?

I think it's pretty smart actually!
Old 01-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Sad? {shrug}

But it definitely ain't unique
Old 01-06-2014, 09:07 PM   #14
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

all I'm saying was Magic Mike was such a letdown in that department...but at least Olivia Munn
Old 01-06-2014, 11:00 PM   #15
sabotai
General Manager

I've been watching "Betas", an exclusive on Amazon (free to those that have Amazon Prime). It's about a group of people trying to make a social app start up. Has all the usual geek cliches, but I'm enjoying it so far for what it is.

I tried watching Alpha House, but I turned it off half way through the first episode.

Also through Amazon Prime, I've been watching a lot of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. I started watching his show on CNN (Parts Unknown), so I've been watching No Reservations (which was for the Travel Channel) on Amazon. Really great shows (both shows are exactly the same, mostly travel + food).

Really looking forward to the second season of House of Cards (Feb 14th, that weekend is bookmarked for some binge watching).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #16
PilotMan
Head Coach

Last night CNN ran a documentary called Sole Survivor. You may have seen the ads for it, and it'll run one more time before it eventually moves to Netflix.

I'm watching it right now and it's very emotional for me. One of the stories contained is the Comair crash in Lexington and the story of the surviving first officer. I wasn't working the morning of the crash, but I was a first officer at Comair at the time, but not on that particular plane, and although I didn't know either pilot personally I had flown with the flight attendant. I had flown in and out of LEX prior to and after the crash. I knew some of what they were up against that morning.

The crash was very personal for all of us. It wasn't a huge, huge company, and there were a lot of ancillary issues to the industry that were going on at the time too. We tried to support the families of the crews as much as we could, but what can you really do?

Anyway, if you find yourself watching this understand how close to home it hits for me.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 01-10-2014 at 08:49 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:28 PM   #17
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Seeing Boyd and Wynn Duffy together multiple times in that preview has me really excited.

Off to a great start. They keep taking second bananas from second tier comedies and turning them into great villains. Jere Burns as Wynn Duffy (and on Burn Notice, too) is great. Last year I had my doubts about Mike O'Malley, but he was outstanding as Nick Augustine. So I have high hopes for Dave Foley and Will Sasso as Canadian drug dealers.

Justified seems written by Neal Stephenson in a good way: lots of details that are very right. This episode had the Jamaican kid (yet another second banana from a one and done comedy) denying he was gator poaching. Then as Raylon leaves, a gator leaps up to grab the bait and hangs there. Also Raylon shooting Dewey's plastic pool.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #18
Johnny93g
College Starter

Season 4 of Shameless starts on Sunday. I'll be watching that obviously, as I love it WAY to much.

Also the new drama True Detectives starts on Sunday at the same time. PVR that thing, because i got very high hopes. McConaughey and Harrelson are great, and I love Michelle Monaghan.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #19
Thomkal
Head Coach

Syfy is FINALLY showing the premiere of Helix tonight at 10pm EST-an hour and a half debut. I've tried to stay away from the hype and spoilers because I want to be surprised by it-what little I've seen has me doubting it will be very good though-especially if Zombies are involved
Old 01-11-2014, 07:54 AM   #20
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
Off to a great start. They keep taking second bananas from second tier comedies and turning them into great villains. Jere Burns as Wynn Duffy (and on Burn Notice, too) is great. Last year I had my doubts about Mike O'Malley, but he was outstanding as Nick Augustine. So I have high hopes for Dave Foley and Will Sasso as Canadian drug dealers.

I thought Foley was noticeably awful in his one scene, but the others have been terrific as you point out, so maybe he'll turn around.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #21
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Downton Abbey comes back tonight

My wife and I are also big fans of Downton Abbey. We are going to try to watch the season premier this weekend.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #22
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Helix anyone?
Old 01-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Helix anyone?

Don't mind if I do
Old 01-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #24
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Helix anyone?

I watched it, need to see more with where they are going with the retrovirus before deciding whether I like it or not. Right now leaning towards not.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:29 PM   #25
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I watched it, need to see more with where they are going with the retrovirus before deciding whether I like it or not. Right now leaning towards not.

it's definitely alien in origin (or just an ancient sentient lifeform) or something like that, because it has that like...intelligence.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:03 PM   #26
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Watched Helix. I give it a 7/10 thus far. But based on the previews for the season, I think I'll really like where they end up going with the story.

Really though, I don't feel anything for any of the characters yet, so hopefully that gets better as the season moves on. I'll definitely give it a shot for a whole season though.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 01-11-2014 at 10:03 PM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:42 PM   #27
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Think this from an EW article, is a pretty good guess as to where the series is going.

Spoiler

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-11-2014 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:03 AM   #28
RainMaker
General Manager

Anyone seen the new show Intelligence? Been waiting for something new with Sawyer in it.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #29
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Anyone seen the new show Intelligence? Been waiting for something new with Sawyer in it.

I saw the first episode and thought it was alright. I really like the actor/character, so hoping the show takes off. We'll see how it goes in future weeks I suppose

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #30
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I saw the first episode and thought it was alright. I really like the actor/character, so hoping the show takes off. We'll see how it goes in future weeks I suppose

Pretty much what I thought-good actors cast-especially John Billingsley and Rosalind Chao (Chinese Intelligence Chief) in a more serious role for them. The twist at the end with the Chinese woman was nice. I suspect though that the Chinese govt won't allow the show to be seen there I did think it was way to early to reveal the truth about the lead character's wife though-would have liked to play the search for the truth play out a bit more.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #31
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The first episode of "True Detective" was great.

I feel like there have been quite a few gruesome "cops on the trail of a serial killer" shows the last couple of years - quite a few indeed - (in fact, some aspects of the murders in the show feel like they were taken directly out of the first season of "Hannibal") but I enjoyed it.

Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey did not disappoint.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #32
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I watched "Helix" last night.

I will keep with it for a while, but I wasn't that impressed overall.

There was just too much stupidity by people who are supposed to be professional, very, very smart PHD-level professionals:

For example:

Spoiler
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-14-2014, 08:57 AM   #33
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I feel like 95% of the non comedic shows on tv now feature people doing absolutely bone headed things in order to advance a plot. I get more enjoyment out of Octonauts.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #34
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I feel like 95% of the non comedic shows on tv now feature people doing absolutely bone headed things in order to advance a plot. I get more enjoyment out of Octonauts.

This is true. I am comfortable with it up to a point. I guess in "Helix" it just seemed more egregious as a result of how bonehead the actions were, the threat level and how trained/educated/professional these people are supposed to be.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #35
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I watched "Helix" last night.

I will keep with it for a while, but I wasn't that impressed overall.

There was just too much stupidity by people who are supposed to be professional, very, very smart PHD-level professionals:

For example:

Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 01-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #36
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Glad to see Les Stroud has new episodes of Survivorman out. The one last night in Tierra del Fuego was about the worst I've ever seen him get. He was thoroughly beaten down.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #37
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The Rabbids cartoon on Nick after Ninja Turtles is odd and has a European feel to it with a lot of physical comedy and crude humor and very little dialog. But it's kindof fun, if you're in a dumb and weird mood.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-18-2014 at 11:01 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #38
Easy Mac

Can they get anymore guest stars on Justified? Avon Varksdale, Newsradio, the black guy from The Practice, probable Emmy winner Michael Rappaport
Old 01-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #39
Radii
Head Coach

Yeah Justified has been nuts with the guest stars the first couple weeks. I dunno if Rappaport is supposed to be the big bad this season or not, but if so, they haven't done a very good job yet of introducing him. It doesn't matter, its Justified, it will end up awesome, but its felt like a slightly underwhelming start so far... maybe b/c I don't care at all about anything Boyd is doing right now, I dunno.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:57 PM   #40
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I think he is the big bad.

I've enjoyed the start, does feel kind of samey though.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:04 PM   #41
sabotai
General Manager

I watched most of the An Idiot Abroad episodes. Am now watching The Moaning of Life. Hoping it's as funny.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #42
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I think I'm going to actively root for the virus in Helix.

So many stupid decisions by so many supposedly "smart" people just to advance the plot. It's a dumb show.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-18-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #43
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pretty good chance everyone with DTV will have a messed up recording of the Following
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:02 AM   #44
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Apparently Duck Dynasty had its season premiere this week. I was curious not because I watch the show, but because I wondered how the recent flap would affect its ratings.

The show drew 8.5 million people. Well short of last season's summer premiere. Still though 8.5 million is very respectable for a cable show.

Source
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:53 AM   #45
Suicane75
Coordinator

Giving Trophy Wife a shot since I love Ackerman and Whitford, for very different reasons. It's serviceable through 2 episodes although the former wives are kind of grating, and not in a good way, but more of a get in the way way.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:30 AM   #46
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I like trophy wife but it seems like a near mortal lock for cancelation.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #47
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Anyone else like The Goldbergs? I really love the show having grown up in the 80's.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #48
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Anyone else like The Goldbergs? I really love the show having grown up in the 80's.

Yep. I worry too few people are watching though. Show has gotten better every week. The going to the video store to rent a movie was captured perfectly last week.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #49
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I think the kid playing Adam is just perfect. Not to mention the dad who walks in after a day of work and drops his pants at the front door. One of my favorite episodes was when Adam Pops went to the theater. The movie rental episode was great. My kids were like $59.95 for a video tape?
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #50
sabotai
General Manager

Watched the first few episodes of season 3 of Girls to see if it got any better and no, it hasn't. Season 1 was decent enough, season 2 sucked and looks like season 3 isn't going any better.