Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-06-2016, 10:15 PM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
2016 NFL HOF inductees

The eight new members are:

Brett Favre
Marvin Harrison
Kevin Greene
Orlando Pace
Tony Dungy
Dick Stanfel
Ken Stabler
Edward DeBartolo Jr.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:21 PM   #2
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Terrell Davis was one of the ten finalists?
Old 02-06-2016, 10:31 PM   #3
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh, NOW they elect Stabler.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:34 PM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Terrell Davis was one of the ten finalists?

yeah, TO/Andersen/Atwater/Faneca/James bounced in round of 15
Coryell/Davis/Jacoby/Lynch/Warner bounced in round of 10

Supposedly Favre took about 1 minute of debate or less.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:30 AM   #5
tarcone
Coordinator

Orlando Pace was sure thing

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:51 AM   #6
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Marvin Harrison being inducted from a ballot that had Terrell Owens on it seems pretty awful to me.

Edit: not that Harrison isn't deserving, but TO was better than him in pretty much every facet of the game.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 02-07-2016 at 12:53 AM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:51 AM   #7
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Marvin Harrison being inducted from a ballot that had Terrell Owens on it seems pretty awful to me.

Edit: not that Harrison isn't deserving, but TO was better than him in pretty much every facet of the game.

Seems they are inducting WRs in retirement order.
IMHO they screwed the pooch by making Cris Carter wait so long.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:52 AM   #8
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Well Marvin was probably going to cap someone's ass if he didn't get in this year.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #9
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Harrison had more catches on fewer targets. I don't have a big dog in this fight, so it doesn't bother me much either way. Owens was a physical freak and probably would have put up crazier numbers working with Manning like Harrison did. Or maybe not - who know how they would have meshed. But Harrison has some arguments in his favor compared to Owens.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:29 AM   #10
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

For the sake of creating arguments:

1. TO > Harrison

Harrison had an 8-year sustained record of excellence, yes, but it's also 8 years that directly coincide with Manning. He was average pre-Manning. Plus, do we consider the shadiness outside of the NFL?

TO put up numbers with pretty much everyone. He had 8 of 11 years (starting in 1998) of sustained excellence, even if the down years tended to be marred by disagreements with his teams. When he was on, though, he took over games in a way Harrison didn't. He was highly visible and entertaining throughout his career.

In terms of actual fame, there's no contest. We'll remember the antics and domination of TO far longer than the adjunct to Manning's career that Harrison is.

2. I don't get Dungy. One win in 3 conference championship games and 1 Super Bowl ring, but still a -.500 playoff win percentage. And that's with 7 years of Manning taking him to first or 2nd in the AFC South every year. That's a division which, in those 7 years, only had 3 teams over .500 for one year. Furthermore, his time in TB was merely average, which is somewhat damning considering the NFC Central housed the Lions, Bears, Vikings and Packers, of which only the Packers (with Favre) could be counted on to put up meaningful opposition year-by-year.

Honestly, Tom Moore is far more deserving of a HOF nod than Dungy.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #11
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

While I kind of get you with Dungy (feels like there are more deserving coaches), the Bucs were bad for so long before he got there (we're talking the franchise's entire 20 year at the time existence), then all of a sudden, they became respectable and had one of the best defense's in the league. Turning around that franchise that was so miserable and getting them to within a game of the Super Bowl deserves more recognition than that they were average while he was there.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:37 PM   #12
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I'm glad Stabler got in, sad that he didn't live to see it. Kenny Anderson needs to be there as well.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #13
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
While I kind of get you with Dungy (feels like there are more deserving coaches), the Bucs were bad for so long before he got there (we're talking the franchise's entire 20 year at the time existence), then all of a sudden, they became respectable and had one of the best defense's in the league. Turning around that franchise that was so miserable and getting them to within a game of the Super Bowl deserves more recognition than that they were average while he was there.

Ding, ding, ding! Remember, the Bucs were the NFLs version of "Mission Impossible" and guys like Bill Parcells wouldn't touch the job...out of fear. Granted, Dungy had nothing to lose...but he accomplished the dream coaching challenge.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:04 PM   #14
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

So we put a guy in the HOF who:

1. Converted a tire fire team into one that was no longer embarrassing in the regular season (but required another HC to win a SB).

2. Didn't interfere with an OC & QB he inherited, allowing them to build a regular season juggernaut in a perpetually weak division, only once making it to the promised land (against an offense, lest we forget, quarterbacked by Rex Grossman).
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Not a big Dungy guy. I suppose if you look at winning % and games above .500, though, he looks better. Basically everyone else above him in both of those things is in the Hall or will be.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #16
Dutch
"Dutch"

Dungy had his flaws....like intense loyalty to OC Mike Shula and QB Trent Dilfer...but he was a young coach, he didn't just become good overnight. His ability to adjust with the Colts showed his ability to adjust his style.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:04 PM   #17
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I like Dungy as a coach. But I don't think he belongs in the Hall of Fame.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #18
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

So if Marvin Lewis wins a Superbowl he's a HOF coach?
Old 02-08-2016, 08:32 PM   #19
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Just saying if you look at this two metrics Dungy doesn't seem very out of place.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dungy 2.jpg (82.7 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg dungy.jpg (87.3 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by stevew : 02-08-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:25 PM   #20
ColtCrazy
College Starter

It's interesting to read about Harrison's off field issues and how that should have put TO first. As if TO was a saint...

That said, Harrison was repeatedly voted by DBs as the hardest WR in the league to defend...a league that included both TO and Moss at the time. It'a easy to forget how good Harrison was because Manning threw to him, but Harrison was a pure router runner with deceptive speed. His 2002 season of 143 catches, a season when everyone and their mother knew Manning had to throw to Harrison and they still couldn't cover him, may stand for many, many seasons. He deserves to get in.

As for Dungy, I'll put it this way. If he's the coach in 2009, the Colts win another title. Caldwell was overmatched and unprepared for the big stage against Payton and the Saints. Dungy wouldn't have lose that game.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:08 AM   #21
stevew
Hall Of Famer

TO didn't murder anyone.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:04 PM   #22
DanGarion
Coordinator

I'm glad that there is a Hall of Fame that doesn't care about the character of a player. A sexual predator and an attempted murderer into the hall of fame. Come on baseball step up!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:33 PM   #23
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Dungy's defenses in Minnnesota were fantastic too.

Its Kevin Greene's inclusion that has me scratching my head. He is in the Hall of Very Good, IMO
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:56 PM   #24
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Greene is 3rd all time in sacks. And he was still a pretty good sack guy his last few years. Easy hall of fame, but not a first ballot guy.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:31 AM   #25
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Eddie DeBartolo was a shady, shady dude. He cheated the salary cap within the league, and dealt with criminals and corrupt politicians outside of it. Tons and tons of guys from that 49ers dynasty belong in the HOF. Shady Eddie is not one of them.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote