Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-26-2016, 07:54 AM   #1
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Surface Pro vs. iPad Pro vs. Something Else?

Short Version:

I'm looking to get a tablet or ultrabook/convertible laptop. What do you like & why?

Long Version:

In a few weeks we're going to be selling our house and likely living in a small-ish apartment until we find something to buy. That's important (for this conversation) because it means I'll probably be putting my desktop (where I do the majority of my gaming) in storage.

At the same time my iPad (version 2, I think) is showing its age and I'm looking to upgrade from it, plus it's also become my kids' primary content consumption device.

So, I'm in the market for some sort of device, but am having trouble parsing out what best fits my use cases. Here are those use cases:
  • Games: the only games I'm really going to play on this are FM Touch and Banished. And things of that ilk. I also play WoW and Team Fortress from time-to-time, but I'll wait for my desktop to return for those.
  • I use my iPad to read eBooks & longform articles in bed, and surf websites for news, looking for real estate, etc.... IME, my iPhone is too small to do this comfortably.
  • Since the desktop will be in storage, I'll use this device for Gmail, finances (via Fidelity's website), and the other "day-to-day" stuff you use a computer for.
  • I'd really like something with which I can use a mouse (for points 1 & 3), but also can have a more compact form factor (for point 2). But I'm not sure if the better route is tablet + accessories, convertible laptop, or maybe even just ultrabook

Anyway, suggestions would be great.

Oh, and my budget's probably good up to $1000 or so.

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:14 AM   #2
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I used to heavily recommend the Lenovo Yoga. I love the hardware(have a 900 now) and with the latest models you get decent bang for your buck, however their support is truly awful. I had an in-warranty Yoga 2 and the screen went on it. Sent it in, got it back 10 days later and it was still broken, went back and forth for a total of 40 days before they sent me a brand new 900 free of cost.

While I shouldn't complain since they basically gave me a 2 generation upgrade(and a significantly better laptop) at zero cost, I was out an in-warranty laptop for 40 days as they gave me a frustrating run around. I've started hearing similar stories from many of my customers as well.

If I was buying a new laptop right now it would be a Surface Book, if I had a lower budget it would be a Surface Pro. MS is just killing it right now with their Surface line.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:28 AM   #3
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Love my Surface and I have a Pro 3, and it is a solid machine.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:38 AM   #4
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I have a Surface Pro 4. It's definitely had its problems (the "sleep mode" issue), but I think the latest update has solved it. Or at least seemed to. With that fixed, I'd highly recommend the Surface Pro 4. It's an actual computer, as compared to an iPad Pro (which runs iOS rather than OSX). Also the screen is a bit smaller than an iPad Pro - which would make it easier to use as a tablet, I would think.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:46 AM   #5
Comey
College Starter

I got a Surface Pro 4 at release (traded in my SP2 for a gigantic discount). I love the machine. Love it. Best laptop I have ever owned.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #6
Bobble
College Prospect

I have a Surface Pro 3 and really like it. Real Windows and Steam are hard to compete with. I have an Arc Touch mouse that I use rather than the pen most of the time.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:33 AM   #7
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Bump for additional thoughts?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:59 AM   #8
BigPapi
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Bump for additional thoughts?

Since you asked- and the timing is good- I'll mention the Macbook Pro. Just purchased a virtually new unit (13.3" Retina MacBook 2015 with El Capitan and 256 GB SSD for $1000 on EBay). The same unit can be purchased new from Apple for ~$1,400, or refurbished with a 1 year warranty for ~$1200.

Been a PC guy my whole life (I'm 45), but own an iPhone 6S+ after having a 4S, and then an android (HTC One M7) for 2 years in between. Bought the Macbook to do some XCode/Swift programming, but the speed, weight- 3.5 lbs, battery life (better than 10 hours) and retina display are truly impressive. The OS is taking some getting use to- but after 48 hours I am already seeing some benefits over Windows. Still love my PC- but this is an impressive piece of hardware.

I really wanted a Surface Book- and I understand they are truly stunning, but this is the first time price shopping has led me to Apple. Haters gonna hate- but there is no need for it; both offer great options. Unless you're heavy into gaming- or morally opposed to Apple and/or it's OS, the Macbook should be on your short list.

Last edited by BigPapi : 02-28-2016 at 09:03 AM.
BigPapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:55 AM   #9
henry296
College Starter

I'm considering the surface pro 4 and have some questions. My primary gaming would be text sims, CiV6 and possible other strategy games.

Would the i5 and 8gb of ram be enough? Is there a big advantage to the 2016 version vs the 2014?

Would I be better off getting a 2-1 laptop for less money if I like my iPad for tablet gaming? If I get a laptop should I be worry about one with only an integrated graphics card?
Old 04-02-2017, 03:41 PM   #10
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
I'm considering the surface pro 4 and have some questions. My primary gaming would be text sims, CiV6 and possible other strategy games.

Would the i5 and 8gb of ram be enough? Is there a big advantage to the 2016 version vs the 2014?

Would I be better off getting a 2-1 laptop for less money if I like my iPad for tablet gaming? If I get a laptop should I be worry about one with only an integrated graphics card?
There is a big difference between the i7 and i5 in terms of dedicated graphics. You will get Iris Pro graphics with the i7, which is just a more capable for gaming. Check out Surface Gaming on Reddit for more examples of gaming on Surfaces. It does sound like a new Surface device will be announced somewhat soon, so that's something to keep in mind.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:43 PM   #11
Comey
College Starter

I have the SP4. I like it fine.

In all honesty, though, I have been highly interested in upgrading to the Dell XPS13 or 15.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote