Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-20-2003, 09:40 AM   #1
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

The Big Ten

I haven't really looked that close at the conference yet this year, but I have a good feeling about the Gophers actually. They return 10 defensive starters and I believe the entire O-Line. They have a stable of good backs so I think the offense should be good. I like the fact that they actually won a bowl game last season too. I have a feeling that a 10 win season my actually sneak up and get us.

What do none biased people think of the minnesota golden gophers chances this year?

The Afoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 12:07 PM   #2
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Well the first thing I always check with the UofM is the schedule.. Who they get and who they miss in the Big Ten (11) is always a huge factor for the Gophers postseason chances..
Code:
Aug. 30 Tulsa Sep. 6 Troy State Sep. 13 at Ohio Sep. 20 Louisiana-Lafayette Sep. 27 at Penn State Oct. 4 at Northwestern Oct. 11 Michigan Oct. 18 Michigan State (Homecoming) Oct. 25 at Illinois Nov. 1 Indiana Nov. 8 Wisconsin Nov. 15 at Iowa
Well the Gophers get a break by avoiding Ohio State this season, as well as Purdue. They also got some breaks with the road games as there seem to be two real possible victories, one against Northwestern and the other against Illinois.

I only see two definite Big Ten losses for Minnesota at the moment: at Penn State and against Michigan at the Dome, whom the Gophers never beat.. They'll be underdogs at Iowa I'm sure and close to even money at N'western, at Illinois and at home against Wisconsin. In all other games, I'd say the Gophers will be favored..

As always, the UofM seems to favor the Hostess philosophy when it comes to Non-Conference Scheduling.. Anything less than 4-0 could be a disaster for this team, confidence wise, and possibly bowl eligibilty wise.. although a 6-6 Big Ten team would go Bowling, however ridiculous that may sound (and it sounds quite so to me, although it probably will happen to someone while a MAC team with 8 or 9 wins gets snubbed, but that's a whole other issue..)

I see the Gophers starting out 4-0 then splitting their Big Ten schedule at 4-4 with wins at Northwestern, at home against Michigan State, at Illinois in a squeaker, and at home against Indiana... and losses at Penn State, at home to Michigan, at home to Wisconsin in a disappointing loss as the Gophers could be 8-2 and nationally ranked heading into this one if my predictions hold true to form, and at Iowa in the season finale..

From the looks of it, another successful season, with a bit of scheduling assistance, for the Gophers and a trip to the Sun Bowl or the Alamo Bowl.

and... another postseason of Glen Mason rumors in Minneapolis as well... Bring back Jim Wacker if Mason bolts!!

Last edited by MylesKnight : 05-26-2003 at 12:09 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 11:52 PM   #3
PilotMan
Head Coach

Every year that I cheer for the Gophers, I always end up dissapointed.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 11:10 PM   #4
tucker342
Pro Starter

That's a pretty good prediction MylesKnight. You're probably pretty close to being right.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 09:12 AM   #5
davidlando1
Mascot

I swear i saw Mel Kiper say yesterday on espn.com that his two suprise teams this year will be Minnesota and Northwestern. I actually think Northwestern will go bowling this year, of course I say that every year. (really! Evanston Bowl has new years day 2 for 1)!
davidlando1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 04:57 PM   #6
tucker342
Pro Starter

Northwestern?!?!?!?! Of course that is Mel Kiper saying that... The Big Ten is really strong next year, The Wildcats will be better next year, I just don't think they're good enough to survive the Big Ten conference...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote