Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-03-2003, 09:53 PM   #1
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

Mad Mike strikes again

Well it was only a matter of time before Moron Mike Milbury did something utterly confounding. Firing Peter Laviolette?!? Now, I can see firing a coach coming off a disppointing year. It happens, and the shelf like of a hockey coach is like what, 6 weeks now? But to replace him with an AHL coach, come on! Granted this team didnt do as well as Mad Mike expected this year, but in all honesty since the 11-1-1 start last year, the team was no better than mediocre and he should've damn well realized it. He should've brought a sniper in either during the offseason or at the deadline. Did he? No, of course not. It's amazing. When the team sucked and he should've been keeping and grooming his young talent, he traded them all away. (See Bryan McCabe, Roberto Luongo, Todd Bertuzzi, Wade Redden, etc.) Now he has a team on the verge of contending and he believes his depleted minor league system is good enough to carry the load when the prospects he has are either not ready or not good enough....AAAGGHHHH.

My next fear is that Laviolette becomes the Rangers coach next year and wins a cup with them.

jetpunk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:12 PM   #2
oykib
College Starter

Did you hear Chris go off on Milbury on Mike and the Mad Dog?

If not, here's the link:

Mad Dog tears Milbury a new one.
oykib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:22 PM   #3
bbor
Pro Starter

I love the fact that Milbury said..."it's time to get a coach who can get us deep into the play-offs...not just into the play offs'

Uhh..Mike...dude.....you had'nt made the play-offs the whole time you were a GM till Laviolette came around.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:27 PM   #4
oykib
College Starter

I like the part where he defended his personnell decisions.

But the best part is how Chris greets him. To start the interview Chris goes, "Why are you still here?"
Old 06-03-2003, 10:36 PM   #5
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

Damn...I can't play that file...is it a quicktime file, cuz QT keeps trying to play it.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:37 PM   #6
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

DOLA- Best part of this whole thing is that two years ago Mike introduced Lavy as the "last coach I'll ever hire."
Old 06-03-2003, 10:44 PM   #7
bbor
Pro Starter

Did Lavy turn into a self absorbed prick?...this is the hot rumour.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:46 PM   #8
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Mike Milbury is the Bobby Clarke of hockey.

or something.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:54 PM   #9
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

Actually Bobby Clarke might be the one man below Milbury in the NHL. It's close. Clarke was going through coaches like water at one point. I can't believe he's still in charge down there.

bbor- I hadn't heard anything about Lavy being a self absorbed prick, but the players were supposedly pissed off cuz he didn't play the young guys and was too rigid with his system. Still, to me anyway, it seemed like they shouldve at least started the season with Lavy and if they started slow, make the change. I mean I don't think there was going to be a huge market for Steve Stirling out there.

Last edited by jetpunk2000 : 06-03-2003 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:57 PM   #10
bbor
Pro Starter

I thought he took too long before he started sitting Yashins ass down...i think he lost the respect of his players when he would'nt do it.

Old 06-03-2003, 11:01 PM   #11
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

Actually, according to Stan Fischler, Lavy lost Yashin, which is as good as a kick out the door imho.

Stan Fischler
Old 06-03-2003, 11:05 PM   #12
bbor
Pro Starter

I'm not a big fan of Fischler.

Old 06-03-2003, 11:13 PM   #13
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

As an Isles fan who followed them sort of in depth all year, I feel qualified in making a few observations and judgements.

Sitting Yashin wasn't a good decision. Yashin doesn't respond to that sort of thing - his game just wasn't there for a while, and the only thing to correct would be ice time. Sitting Yashin at all was a mistake.

Laviolette also got what I call Dan Fridgen (RPI coach) syndrome. After every game, he sort of mumbled out "Yea' it was alright we can do better". At first it's good for a team to have that factor keeping them glued together, but after a while it got stupid. The Isles would play fired up hockey, and that's what he'd say. Sort of discouraging.

Yea', the young guys thing was a problem too. Also, he overworked the D-men. He had 6 able bodies yet he only wanted to use 4. Every team has a pair or two that are better than the bottom pair - Lavy just thought he could get away with using only the top guys.

~rpi-fan
Old 06-03-2003, 11:32 PM   #14
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Did you hear Chris go off on Milbury on Mike and the Mad Dog?

OMG, that link is LOLOLOLOL funny!!! "HOW MANY COACHES?!" LOL!
Old 06-04-2003, 07:44 AM   #15
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jetpunk2000
Damn...I can't play that file...is it a quicktime file, cuz QT keeps trying to play it.

It's a RealOne or Real Player file.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:03 AM   #16
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Yeah I don't understand this move.

I'd rather have a coach that takes my team into the playoffs every year.

Wouldn't you?

Not a good move.