Home

The Ted Turner Memoirs Part 4: Rise Of The Powers That Be

This is a discussion on The Ted Turner Memoirs Part 4: Rise Of The Powers That Be within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #33
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: The Ted Turner Memoirs Part 4: Rise Of The Powers That Be

Quote:
Freddi Gonzalez
John, I hate to do this, but I gotta get you out of that bullpen this week. It's been nuts hasn't it?
Quote:
John Rocker.... yeah

Quote:
Freddi GonzalezBut I tried to tell him, John... Hell, I tried. Anybody could have saw that John Boy nonesense wasn't going to work here. maybe in Navasota, or Augusta, but not here...
Quote:
John Rocker... not Queens

Quote:
Freddi GonzalezDefinately not Queens.

...We got ambushed John... damn near set up almost.
Quote:
John Rocker I just want one chance Freddi...
Quote:
Freddi Gonzalez I know you do... we've all worked hard for this to be a success, but John... damn man you hurting the team. THIS

(points out towards the crowd)

..this, is bigger than the game. We got to keep it in perspective and just tip our hat, this time. I wanted to put you in game 1, but we never had a chance to utilize you logically. Game 2... I saw the viciousness and we're not going to stoop to that level to feed a pack of hungry dogs.

Just keep in the dugout, keep your hat low, and let's get the hell out of New York.
And with that, John Rocker took a seat on the thirdbase line dugout, and watched game 3 as a spectator.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #34
MVP

The NY series didn't do us any favors bros. In fact we got swept up there. Coming back home just a half game up and playing yet another division rival. The right on our *** Phillies of Philadelphia.

Now, just a couple of weeks ago, BJ Upton made a play of the year candidate to rob Heyward, and the Phillies screwed us in a close one. Fast forward to the here and now and we're in a dogfight once again.

But...

this time, lady luck was on our side!

Down 1-0 all game long, and failing to score in about 3 or 4 innings due to demoralizing Double plays. Huston Street would get it to the last two outs of the ballgame, two strikes even, and then decided he'd sneak a curveball in the dirt for the "chased swing at garbage pitch" that the CPU just loves to do.

Well let's take a chance brethren... let's just go big or go home right... maybe that bitch will hang. maybe he'll mislocate the sunuvabitch...

You go after the #8 hitter thinking the game is done, and start getting desperate and sometimes you get rewarded. And after that NY series WE WERE MOST CERTAINLY due my friends. Tie ball game homie on what should have been the last swing of the game.

Oh yes, in the extra frame they tried to get cute, they walked Uggla which was a no brainer considering a lefty was on the mound. They figured Freddie Freeman would choke as he currently has been doing.

But alas, here Freeman is sliding into home. See, Freeman almost went yard got a "Canseco" from Dominic Brown and coasted into third. Prado would then come off the bench as a pinch hitter.. and well.... heh, you know that's pretty much money in the bank. Asking a .300 hitter to not strike out? Heh....

Old 04-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #35
MVP

Quote:
MLB Tonight: Random Weekly Roundup

John gets serenaded in New York, our Random Game of the Month features an amazing play by Clete Thomas, and the Phillies get a chance to pull broad day light robbery once again!

Interleague play is upon us... we leave Miami and head straight over to Tampa Bay to take on the average at best Rays. We have a brief history with these Rays as we were able to negotiate a three way trade with them and the New York Yankees losing Tim Hudson (oh how sad) and gaining the rental player Carl Crawford for the rest of 2010.

I love the jersey choice CPU.. straight love it... we'll even rock the 57 screamin' patch jersey so you don't look so ridiculous out there. However in the meantime... it is that special time of the night. Yeah, I think you already know heh...

The Key Game of the Month Update For No Reason

Out in San Diego, the 2nd place tigers are taking on the 1st place Padres. Not too entertaining of a matchup. Boston vs. Philly looked a whole lot better since it was a battle of World Series potentials... but we're not ESPN, we have no East Coast Bias... and hey? Whaddya know Clete Thomas made an incredible, stupendous, magnificent play in outfield during this live look in, that made it worth it.

Meanwhile, back in Tampa, John Boy after being benched for "medical" reasons, has returned with a fury, and mowed down 3 straight Rays shutting up those damn cowbells for atleast one night.

It only took two flies, one by Hinske who spelled Freeman, and one from.. well, I'll be damned.. Brooks Conrad right behind him, which ended a David Price one hitter, ended a night of dominance, and gave the Braves a lead they'd not relinquish.

It was bittersweet though because we lost Jordan Schafer until after the All Star game as he slid into second base, and didn't get back up. The McLouth/Schafer/Harrilchak platoon looks to be over for 2013 as by the time he returns, SOMEBODY should have emerged as the lead dog going into October.

Hopefully

Last edited by lilbiggio; 04-11-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 11

Cool chise so far. Wish i could do those screen shots. Looks great! Check out my franchise, "This Time With Natitude". Thanks!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #37
Cupcake Coach

R1zzo23's Arena

OVR: 16

This is one of the best baseball franchises I have ever read on these boards! Can't get enough of your story lines and updates. Keep them coming!

And I love that John Boy came in and did some work last game haha!
Old 04-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #38
AC
Win the East

AC's Arena

OVR: 36

This is Hurst-level good. Keep it the heck up! I just read the ENTIRE THING, all four parts!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #39
MVP

Quote:
This is Hurst-level good. Keep it the heck up! I just read the ENTIRE THING, all four parts!
I appreciate that, I have repeatedly referred to B-Hurst as the Godfather Coleone here so the Hurst reference is duly noted.. You also motivated me to check out some of the older stuff myself... and all I can say is damn, this has come a long way from season 1...

Quote:
...And I love that John Boy came in and did some work last game haha!

John Boy Rocker has been a joy to use this season. Although it was intended for him to come in as a closer with a two pitch repitoire and see if it was possible to piss on an entire league if said guy was overly cocky or confident. When that flamed out, and he added the 3rd pitch, he has become, dare I say... a valuable arm out of the pen?!

This is the same John Boy Rocker that was getting lit up like a birthday candle by Double A generated face batters. Now he's striking out Joey Votto, in what ended up being a rather easy 8 pitch sequence. All breaking balls, all fouled off until then the out of the zone high fastball that Votto just was not prepared to take for a ball that had ol' Joey swinging like a fool? This can't be life?

The third pitch really has made the difference. It's just enough offset to keep the CPU honest, and then at that point, the high confidence and clutch has made his otherwise subpar talent not so noticable. We can trust him to get the great Left handed hitters that have screwed us so many times in yesteryears such as Fielder, Cargo, and Ryan Howard and numerous others and take innings off of the arm of Jonny Venters. The only problem is that we have three guys from the left side that all do the same thing. So now Eric-O is basically useless at the moment, as Rockers/Venters is enough to get the job done.

The hell Kris Medlen?! yeah... so it's going to be one of "those" years again. Is it Beachy time yet? Is it Kawakami time yet? The fans are starting to get restless with these 3-13 campaigns.

Last edited by lilbiggio; 04-16-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #40
MVP

So just moments ago, I poised the question is it Beachy-Time yet? No this is not a clever plot device. This is what the MLB the Show Injury Dictators... erm, dictated:

Now remember we have the House rule that if someone gets hurt.. they go to a rehab assigment. no questions asked. So Hanson our best pitcher is out atleast for one go around while we get his "sore thumb" back to health in the safe lands of AAA baseball.

That makes for a highly convenient transition for Brandon Beachy... 5 and oh Brandon Beachy by the way for those taking score, to step in and get out of the bullpen for one night, and take the reigns for his first major league start.

So let's set the stage shall we? On one side, we have Tommy Hanson down with the Gwinnett Braves. The defending Cy Young about to go up against the jabronies of the junior circuit. Meanwhile, up at the show... Brandon Beachy, the unknown with untapped potential who's only moment to shine has been in mop up duty has a chance now to take the mound for the hometown Atlanta Braves.

Something special is in store I can smell it!

Yet, dear friends, if you know the Ted Turner Memoirs like you should.. you'd know that when Great things SHOULD happen. The **** hits the fan. What should have been a magical night where Hanson threw a perfect game turned into a nightmare similar to his past outing in Philly. These AAA guys were not impressed by big #48 from the Atlanta Braves.

In fact, it seemed like each guy from Indianapolis collectively took their "Defining Dump Moment of Glory" at proving why they should be playing in the Majors and not riding on the back of a dusty, musty greyhound by swinging at any good pitch Hanson threw at them. It was most certainly a wacky feeling to go from thinking you could massacre their lineup 3 times and go home, to a moment of.. "is Tommy gonna have to get pulled from a AAA game? This is the f-ckin' 2012 Cy Young."

It has been well documented that Hanson has been a slow starter this season. But this game was ridiculous. It's ok to have a rough first inning and bounce back in only the way Tommy Hanson can bounce by dominating the latter innings, but this whole, not being able to get out of the first inning alive trend has been noted and it is a problem that we have got to eliminate from Hanson's game.

Last edited by lilbiggio; 04-16-2012 at 12:58 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »