Home

2018 Onward: Turning the Houston Texans Into a Winner

This is a discussion on 2018 Onward: Turning the Houston Texans Into a Winner within the Coaching Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-10-2010, 01:27 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: 2018 Onward: Turning the Houston Texans Into a Winner

I don't like this Draft that much, frankly, it's the weakest Draft I've ever seen. There is decent talent at the top, but basically nothing worth picking late.

Which leads to an interesting trade strategy. Here are the picks
1st (4)
2nd (36)
3rd (68)
4th (100)
6th (164)
7th (196)

Next season: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 7th.

Normally I'm all about trading down, but the bottom of this draft is SUCK. That being said, I'd still like to trade the 4 down a few spots if possible to get more picks. I might trade those lower end picks to try to pick twice in the 1st or 2nd.

Here is my Day 1 board.

# POS Name Comparison Grade
2 QB Trent Rakestraw Palmer WANT
3 QB Cody Withers Bulger WANT
5 LT Mike McMichael Clifton Maybe
6 LT Matthew Kent J. Thomas Solid
7 WR Dominc Jordan Calvin Johnson WANT
10 HB Darius Stallworth Alexander Maybe
13 WR Tammrick Ford Joe Horn Solid
14 QB Jeremy Suvak Dilfer Solid
15 TE David McCooley Shockey Maybe
16 TE Markeith Jacobs Vernon Davis Solid
18 CB Angelo Bailey Dunta Robinson Maybe
19 WR Anthony Revis Housh Solid
20 CB Trevis Bush Springs Solid
26 LT Aaron Carpenter Staley Maybe
27 FS Patrick Gamble Griffin Solid
31 WR Dex Dargan Chad Johnson Solid
32 WR Derricus Nance Muhammad Maybe
34 CB Jay Jay Williams Dre Bly Maybe
44 SS Devron Ward Huff Maybe
54 QB Antrelle Lynch McNair Maybe
60 LT Ray Martin Walter Jones Solid
63 OLB DeVaughn Ramsey Thomas Davis Maybe
68 QB Michael Pridemore Michael Robinson Maybe
77 CB Jason Feely Shaun O'Hara Solid
88 G Rob Freelander Steinbach Solid

If Rakestraw were to fall to #4, I'd take him for sure. But I doubt it will happen and won't trade up. Withers has a weaker arm, but still 94 POT and could start right away. Oddly enough, Suvak, compared to Dilfer, has a 91 POT. Noodle arm but decent otherwise apparently. The other two QBs are speedsters who suck at passing, still worth a mention.

At WR, Jordan is the stud, but I would be perfectly solid with Revis (90 POT) or even Ford. (87 POT but still a good talent set, both he and Revis are possession guys) Dargan is a late 1st guy with 87 POT who also is all around solid and worth a look.

Jacobs at TE has a low potential (81) but that is because the game hates guys with low learning. Like his comparison, he's a FREAK, 93 SPD, 87 CTH. If I picked him he'd probably move to WR similar to the role Davis had in the past.

Corner may be a look, with Bush leading the way. GREAT physical talent, but dumb as a brick. If I go corner, he'd be the guy. Gamble at S is also a definite look, he'd be a great cover safety, if not CB. (88 POT at FS)

Only two guys even make my "Might take" list outside of the day 1 board. One is a MLB sleeper ranked 245, the other is a kicker. Very WEAK draft at the bottom. Should be interesting.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 9

Great to see you doing a chise again man, eager to see what you do with that draft.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #19
MVP

Technical difficulties: The PS3 has decided that sound shouldn't exist at all. And switching to a different TV doesn't even read anything. Excuse me while I throw things at a wall.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #20
MVP

After day 1, the only word I can use to describe how I feel about the Draft is "disappointed' I've never been this frustrated or unimpressed by my Draft ability.

Seeing those above sentences, you wouldn't think that I would've gotten a franchise quarterback. That is the positive. Rakestraw went 1st as expected, followed by CB Angelo Bailey and FS Gabriel Jones (Jones is a super-uber mega bust, BTW)

To the 4th pick, only two teams were offering to trade, only one of meaning; the Eagles. The Eagles would've allowed me to move to the 7th pick, throw in a random pick later, and add a quarterback to my roster. A good balanced guy named Taylor Tannenbaum.

But after trying and trying, the Eagles weren't willing to sell Tannenbaum with the 7th, and then left negotiations. This left me stuck with the 4th overall pick. With the decision to make, I saw two choices. Either QB Cody Withers or WR Dominc Jordan.

In the end, the pick was made, and Cody Withers was welcomed in; the first time I've ever spent big on a QB. Withers is already great though, potential of 94 with already good accuracy, awareness, and learning. He'll be a great QB.

Next picked was TE Markeith Jacobs, the Davis clone, I was shocked to see him go this fast. Then a DE pick, a WR pick (Haddix, to my surprise, the speedster), LB, QB Lynch, and HB Stallworth.

Dominc Jordan was still available, the stud WR himself. I kept trying to trade in to get the guy, but couldn't find the spot. TE goes 11, a different WR, Ford, goes 12. Still trying. Carpenter (LT) goes 13, Gamble, the FS I loved, goes to the Chiefs. HB at 15. After trying my hardest, I saw that 16 was the breaking point.

The Chargers were up, and as hard as I tried, they just said "no." They took Jordan with the 16. At this point, the focus shifted to Trevis Bush, the only CB left that interested me. With secondary a major weakness, I wanted to move up to get him.

To pick 20, the Redskins were almost willing to take two players and a pick to get him. Almost. They said it just wasn't enough, and they took Bush, leaving not one guy in the secondary the rest of the DRAFT I felt worth taking. I swore loudly.

But there were still a few receivers I felt worth taking, namely Revis. Two more WRs went in front of him, getting to pick 30. I reasoned and reasoned with the Colts, trying to move up just a few spots. But they said no, and took Revis.

This left not one single player left available in day one that looked even remotely interesting.

Of course, the ability to move up easily finally appears after no one is worth taking. It gets to my pick, but I find no one worth picking, and I traded out to improve next year. The Bengals gave me a 2nd and 4th next year, plus a middling CB named Charles Knight. (80 OVR, nothing special, but still better than Bowman)

And I let the rest of day 1 play out. Like I said, disappointed. My WR group is still terrible. My secondary is still very flawed. Looking at free agency, Greg Jennings (76 OVR somehow) will probably be an add, plus Vernon Davis (!), so the WR situation could probably be fixed. But short of one sleeper DB in free agency (SS who I'd probably move to CB or at least FS), the secondary is in danger.

Oh well, at least I still got Withers. Here was round 1:

Pick Player Pos Team

College
1 Trent Rakestraw QB Rams

Oklahoma
2 Angelo Bailey CB Panthers
Notre Dame
3 Gabriel Jones FS Seahawks
Virginia Tech
4 Cody Withers QB Texans

South Carolina
5 Markeith Jacobs TE Chiefs

Georgia
6 Durrell Jackson RE Bears

LSU
7 Napolean Haddix WR Eagles

West Virginia
8 Reggie Chambers MLB Falcons
Virginia
9 Antrelle Lynch QB Jets

Liberty
10 Darius Stallworth HB Steelers
Alabama
11 Renaldo Newton TE Patriots (From JAC) Ohio State
12 Tammrick Ford WR Bengals
Florida
13 Aaron Carpenter LT Vikings

Wake Forest
14 Patrick Gamble FS Chiefs (From TB) Washington State
15 Cornelius Holliday HB Titans

Michigan State
16 Dominc Jordan WR Chargers
Michigan
17 Jay Jay Williams CB Browns

Georgia Southern
18 Darnell Jefferson CB Cowboys
Maryland
19 Matthew Kent LT Jaguars (From NE) Oklahoma
20 Trevis Bush CB Redskins
Kentucky
21 David McCooley TE Broncos
Miami
22 Mike McMichael LT Lions

Fresno State
23 D.J. Crumpington DT Bills

Clemson
24 Cornell Spann HB 49ers

North Texas
25 Demorrio Willis LOLB Packers
Boston College
26 Jeremy Suvak QB Panthers (From BAL) Tulsa
27 Antonine Florence CB Raiders
Michigan
28 Dex Dargan WR Cardinals
Texas A&M
29 Quentin McFadden WR Saints

Auburn
30 Anthony Revis WR Colts

Georgia Tech
31 Jamil Deas LE Giants

USC
32 Kameron Haley ROLB Dolphins
USC

Picks as of now:

3rd (68)
4th (100)
6th (164)
7th (196)

1st
2nd
2nd CIN
3rd
4th CIN
7th

I'll probably trade down, because frankly, I see only 3 players left ENTIRELY that I have interest in. Easily, the suckiest Draft I've ever seen on this game. There is a G, Rob Freelander, who I really like. He's probably going to go mid 3rd, so we'll see how that plays out. The other two guys are the kicker, Duncan, and a LB named Hibbert who will probably go sometime really late.

Well, here's to trying to stockpile picks next year. Ugh, this draft blows.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #21
Pro

OVR: 9

Ouch, that sucks man.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #22
MVP

There were very few players worth going after in day 2, in my opinion. However, I was able to move down in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th, and ultimately got the few guys I wanted. I was forced into picking in the 6th and 7th, one choice was a guy I really wanted, the other was kinda eh.

Final Draft results:

Rd Pick # Name Pos
1 4 Cody Withers QB
3 17 Rob Freelander LG
5 3 Jason Duncan K
6 4 Dimitrius Hibbert MLB
7 4 Dana Riggs HB

Five players, that is just depressing. Oh well, here's the word.

Withers as I mentioned is the franchise QB. His only downfall is average arm strength, but he already has high 80's accuracy and awareness and good learning, with a potential of 94. He's probably good enough to start now over Thompson.

Freelander was the one later guard I liked, and I moved down to get him. He's a very balanced lineman who should stick around for a bit.

Jason Duncan is the kicker, like always, I love big legged kickers, with a power of 97, he has that. His accuracy is crap (84), but the best free agent had the same accuracy with less leg, and I think Serna was similar before trading him.

Hibbert was compared to no one and had very good all around ability for an unknown. He'll likely compare to Trey McNamara from my Dolphins teams, and with Beck's deal up at the end of the year, he might be starting by year 2.

Riggs was a RB compared to Jamal Lewis...nothing terribly special. He might not make the final roster.

My undrafted guys were Will Dutton, a meh DE. Tyler McCray, a decent WR perhaps (Muhammad comparison undrafted, not bad), Colton Randall, a punter. (Compared to Flynn, but had 93 power, which beat my current and free agent...we'll see how bad his accuracy is), Lamar Ball, an unknown CB, and Eric Maples, an unknown DE.

Could've been better, but could've been worse. My draft next year:

1st
2nd
2nd CIN
3rd
4th CIN
4th BUF
5th SEA
7th
7th CLE
7th BUF

Not quite as loaded, but much better than I started with.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:48 AM   #23
Pro

tbasket20's Arena

OVR: 16

im glad to c u start this up again...i enjoyed both your 49ers and dolphins dynasty. good luck turning the texans around!
Old 06-11-2010, 02:15 AM   #24
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22

I've always found it tough to trade back into the first without giving up the house is more or less impossible. I've moved up once (Martin McPeek ) but it was like 8 spots, so it wasn't like you going from early second to mid first.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties »