Home

Next Xbox To Have No Disc Drive

This is a discussion on Next Xbox To Have No Disc Drive within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-11-2012, 12:21 AM   #17
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns11
Easy to say now, what happens years down the line when servers get shut off and/or things start disappearing from servers? I can go hook up a 35 year old console and play a game, do you think I would be able to do that had those games been digitally distributed?
All things that happen already.

http://www.inquisitr.com/125942/ea-s...es-next-month/

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #18
Greatness Has Arrived

Burns11's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Next Xbox To Have No Disc Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
All things that happen already.

http://www.inquisitr.com/125942/ea-s...es-next-month/

You can still play those though, just not online.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #19
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Quote:
You can still play those though, just not online.
Ignoring that you're trying to compare games now to stuff like Pong... games disappear from current online services as well for a variety of reasons.

http://www.wpcentral.com/more-xbox-l...e-hoth-cantina

And while you contend it's not the same thing... a neutered game with no online might as well not even be purchasable. The BF and COD games only single player... yeah no, 'at least you can still play single player' doesn't really fly.

You can craft the hypothetical any way you want though, my original point is it's a psychological/educational barrier, when you buy a DVD or BD of a game, you're buying a license, not a piece of software, just as you are when you buy a game digitally.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:19 AM   #20
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

The only way it works is if the game developers cut out the publishers and game stores. Give MS a small cut to host the game on their servers and it better not cost more than $30-35 for a new full game.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:23 AM   #21
Greatness Has Arrived

Burns11's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Ignoring that you're trying to compare games now to stuff like Pong... games disappear from current online services as well for a variety of reasons.

http://www.wpcentral.com/more-xbox-l...e-hoth-cantina

And while you contend it's not the same thing... a neutered game with no online might as well not even be purchasable. The BF and COD games only single player... yeah no, 'at least you can still play single player' doesn't really fly.

You can craft the hypothetical any way you want though, my original point is it's a psychological/educational barrier, when you buy a DVD or BD of a game, you're buying a license, not a piece of software, just as you are when you buy a game digitally.

You know they still make single player games, right? And people still play single player games?

My 35 year old console was just an example of an aged console I have sitting on a shelf in the other room that will still work, imagine not being able to plug in a Dreamcast, for example, which would be all but plausible had it been digital distribution only.

All software has been issued on a licensing basis, but I can still take that license and play a game of Legend of Zelda on my NES. With a digital copy they can decide at any time that your license is moot once they shut down servers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2012, 04:43 AM   #22
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Quote:
You know they still make single player games, right? And people still play single player games?

My 35 year old console was just an example of an aged console I have sitting on a shelf in the other room that will still work, imagine not being able to plug in a Dreamcast, for example, which would be all but plausible had it been digital distribution only.

All software has been issued on a licensing basis, but I can still take that license and play a game of Legend of Zelda on my NES. With a digital copy they can decide at any time that your license is moot once they shut down servers.
Maybe I am not understanding the point you are trying to make over, and over, and over... because I've shown you examples of games that would be borderline useless if their online component was shutoff, shown examples of games removed from the digital market(s) already that you can no longer download or purchase (but can still play if you had downloaded them) but you keep tweaking and restating this hypothetical about 'what could happen' - when it already does.

What is your point? Some anti-consumer console doomsday scheme where you might not be able to play your console 35 years later?

How does that change my point, that it's a psychological/educational (and convenience) issue about physical media, because right now you are only buying a license to play a game, and not the software itself.

You seem to assume all this digital content is being stored in a cloud that they could just shut off. That's not even the case now, I could put away my 360 for '35 years' and provided the electronics are in good working order fire it up and play all my 'single player' games to my heart's content - without even connecting to the internet.

Pretty sure we're even further off away from the draconian 'always have to be online, even for single player' DRM that has been used on PCs which you seem to be describing.

Last edited by mestevo; 03-11-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #23
Greatness Has Arrived

Burns11's Arena

I don't understand why you think the minority of games rules every other example moot. There are plenty of single player games still being released, and had they been released digitally only you would be screwed once they shut servers down.

You can say "you don't actually own the software" all you want, but fact is you do own a physical copy of that software, and that's a distinction of note. It's the distinction between owning a license to use software that you can physically hold/protect and having a software license to software that is just gone on the whim of some corporation.

If you don't think that a download only console wouldn't work similar to Steam for DRM you are a fool and, yes, if Valve decided right now to shut off all the steam servers you would be shut off from all those steam games.

You say you can turn on the 360 years down the line and it will still work, but what happens when you have a mechanical failure in the HDD? What happens when you want to emulate that hardware and (legally) play transfer those games to be played on some other device?
Old 03-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #24
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Quote:
I don't understand why you think the minority of games rules every other example moot. There are plenty of single player games still being released, and had they been released digitally only you would be screwed once they shut servers down.
So now your latest adjustment to the hypothetical, this only matters to the 'majority of games', ignoring the fact that the most popular and highest selling games are this 'minority' (the last couple Call of Dutys passing the debut revenue of any movie ever made even...) ?

Quote:
You can say "you don't actually own the software" all you want, but fact is you do own a physical copy of that software, and that's a distinction of note. It's the distinction between owning a license to use software that you can physically hold/protect and having a software license to software that is just gone on the whim of some corporation.
I don't see the point of arguing this, I've already shown examples of this being done now and you've dismissed or ignored them. You're trying to debate the perils of the retirement of a console we know nothing about, I am not sure why.

Quote:
If you don't think that a download only console wouldn't work similar to Steam for DRM you are a fool and, yes, if Valve decided right now to shut off all the steam servers you would be shut off from all those steam games.
I don't see why the name calling is necessary, I guess that's all you have left. The number of people with Wiis, 360s and PS3s is exponentially more than those who even have Steam accounts. To limit your customers to only be able to buy games digitally truncates your potential install base substantially which is why it won't work as early as this next generation, at least not exclusively.

Quote:
You say you can turn on the 360 years down the line and it will still work, but what happens when you have a mechanical failure in the HDD? What happens when you want to emulate that hardware and (legally) play transfer those games to be played on some other device?
Apparently you didn't actually read my post, and missed the "the electronics are in good working order" part. Otherwise, how is this any different than what is happening now, with games that have already been removed?

I'm not sure why you continue to argue hypothetical on top of hypothetical about a console we know nothing about.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »