Home

Next Xbox To Have No Disc Drive

This is a discussion on Next Xbox To Have No Disc Drive within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #25
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Next Xbox To Have No Disc Drive

I'm all for digital distribution as a developer for obvious reasons, and also as a consumer under the condition that on-board storage space jumps for these devices jumps dramatically.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #26
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
I'm all for digital distribution as a developer for obvious reasons, and also as a consumer under the condition that on-board storage space jumps for these devices jumps dramatically.
And reasonably so, the HDD prices from MS (prior to opening things up to allow thumb drives) and Sony's strategy for storage for the Vita are not so good.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #27
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

Yikes! I only buy games at stores and don't even play online. I guess my gaming days are about to be over in a few years...?

I'd better find myself another hobby, a non-virtual one (and legal, of course!).

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Old 03-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #28
Greatness Has Arrived

Burns11's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
So now your latest adjustment to the hypothetical, this only matters to the 'majority of games', ignoring the fact that the most popular and highest selling games are this 'minority' (the last couple Call of Dutys passing the debut revenue of any movie ever made even...) ?
WTF are you talking about? Just because some games turn off some servers doesn't negate all the other games that don't depend on those. I'm not sure why one example negates all other exemplars of when games can be played decades in the future as long as you retain that physical copy.

Quote:
I don't see the point of arguing this, I've already shown examples of this being done now and you've dismissed or ignored them. You're trying to debate the perils of the retirement of a console we know nothing about, I am not sure why.
Once again, just because you find some slim minority example doesn't negate the rest of the situation.

Quote:
I don't see why the name calling is necessary, I guess that's all you have left. The number of people with Wiis, 360s and PS3s is exponentially more than those who even have Steam accounts. To limit your customers to only be able to buy games digitally truncates your potential install base substantially which is why it won't work as early as this next generation, at least not exclusively.
Oh just stop, nobody called you a name.

That aside, once again I have no idea what you are arguing here, I'm not even sure you know. Steam was brought up only as prime example of how a digital only service will work, and how that service would end access to any games should it disappear.

Quote:

I'm not sure why you continue to argue hypothetical on top of hypothetical about a console we know nothing about.
All I am arguing are the perils of going solely digital distribution, and since we've yet to see that all we can argue is hypothetical. Bottom line I have a room full of games that represent thousands and thousands of dollars worth of investment that would, in all likelihood, no longer exist if things had been digitally distributed. They also retain thousands and thousands of dollars of value, value that would have evaporated had they been digitally distributed. So, no, your original statement that the only difference between physical and digital distribution is psychological is patently false.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #29
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
I'm right with you. Hard drives are so darn expensive nowadays that it's holding me back from wanting to get every game online.

They may start selling games on some sort of memory card similar to portable games (if they can get something cheap enough to be worth it).

Either way, i know it sucks if your HD gets full and I have to delete some games from being installed on my 360 (and that's just for improved performance). I went and got a bigger HD to solve that, but I'd hate to have to uninstall old games and have to re-download them later. That'd be the case unless they give us massive cheap storage.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #30

OVR: 34

That article mentions it's "unconventional for MS." I disagree. I think this is possible because of Xbox Live. That service is strong enough now that it is substantial in that direct download is reasonable.

I don't see them doing it without another viable (hard copy) alternative, but removing the disc drive makes sense to me. At this point it just gets in the way. It won't be black and white like many will start claiming. There will be all sorts of things surrounding the option that will try and make it appealing.

It's not unconventional for MS though. They were the ones that introduced broadband only when 6-12% of households had broadband.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #31
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
Hard drives are so darn expensive nowadays...
They are? Do you mean console hard drives? Because I could walk into a Best Buy and get TB sized hard drives for about one hundred bucks. It's ridiculous how inexpensive hard drives are today.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
They are? Do you mean console hard drives? Because I could walk into a Best Buy and get TB sized hard drives for about one hundred bucks. It's ridiculous how inexpensive hard drives are today.
Well the prices of them did go up after the flooding in Thailand took out a majority of the factories that produce hard drives. The prices have started dropping again though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »