Home

Retro Console/Game Collecting Thread

This is a discussion on Retro Console/Game Collecting Thread within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #73
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Retro Console/Game Collecting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
That's exactly what I did a few years back. It's very easy to swap out the HDD's.
45 bucks is a good deal. I bought a used 250 drive like 5 years ago at GS paid 80 bucks when new drives were 120. For some reason the Microsoft console uses much less space than my PS3. I have more games on the 360 drive than my PS3 and they take up 1/10th the room. My 250 drive will last me forever.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:33 AM   #74
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
There's a 3-day retro gaming expo going on here in a couple of weeks. Never been to one, and I'm excited to hopefully meet a few guys I watch on YouTube (Gaming Historian, Metal Jesus Rocks).

I need to make a list of games to search for before going so I don't feel completely overwhelmed. I've been hitting the PS2 collecting pretty hard, as well as the GBA, so I'll probably stick to those 2 systems, while of course not turning away any PS3/360/DS deals that may appear.
Well, the gaming expo was disappointing from a games perspective. No variety, as it seemed all the vendors had the same selection of games. The handheld systems were almost non-existent from a games standpoint.

I did pick up a few games for the Genesis, mostly to round out my sports game collection.

Metal Jesus Rocks was a cool guy; talked to him for about 10 min. and gave him a few ideas for a professional wrestling games video that he's likely working on in the next month. The Gaming Historian was also very nice.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:53 PM   #75
MVP

shogunofharlem3's Arena

OVR: 12

When I lived with my folks I had all my systems hooked up with switchers. Even when I wasn't playing them it was great to see them. When I got married and moved I haven't taken the old boys out of the box except for the occasional RBI Baseball tournament.

That being said, in the Dank (my man cave), I am setting them all back up this week (hopefully). I have a few ideas for set up. I'll post pics as I set up. For those that don't know me, there will be beers a plenty during the project.

Anyone have a retro setup to share?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2016, 11:30 PM   #76
MVP

bigdoc85's Arena

OVR: 22

Great thread. A few thoughts:

1) Most AV Switches are bi-directional. So for my quasi-retro set-up I actually have 3 consoles routed through a switch with the output of that switch hooked up to the output of another switch. Then I have my different video sources (2 TVs and a receiver/projector combo) hooked into the inputs of that second switch so I can route any of the 3 consoles to any of the 3 video sources.

2) For retro consoles, I tend to look for unique games that don't have a modern-day equivalent. For instance, a few of my favorites are: Test Drive Eve of Destruction for Xbox or PS2. MVP NCAA 07 baseball for PS2, Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer for Xbox, and NASCAR Dirt to Daytona for PS2.

3) The original Xbox looks WAY better than the PS2 if you get the component AV cables (make sure to update the video settings accordingly). There are a decent number of Xbox games that had 720p resolution -- I wasn't a gamer back then (I'm old and stopped playing in '94 or so -- had a Sega Genesis and Joe Montana Football (or something like that) but didn't play much. Heck, I still don't play that much but I enjoy collecting and hooking up consoles.

4) Has anyone seen or played one of those modded original Xbox systems that people are creating? Some have up to 2TB hard drives and contain virtually every retro game from all of the major systems thru emulators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunofharlem3
When I lived with my folks I had all my systems hooked up with switchers. Even when I wasn't playing them it was great to see them. When I got married and moved I haven't taken the old boys out of the box except for the occasional RBI Baseball tournament.

That being said, in the Dank (my man cave), I am setting them all back up this week (hopefully). I have a few ideas for set up. I'll post pics as I set up. For those that don't know me, there will be beers a plenty during the project.

Anyone have a retro setup to share?
Old 01-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #77
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
You can fall down the rabbit hole fairly quickly by going to Amazon and searching for PS3 game collections.

This doesn't even include the one off games that I actually did play the crap out of as a kid such as Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue and Crash Team Racing that are available on PSN.

I just wish there was a way for me to play those old Simpsons games (Hit n Run) and Batman: Vengeance again without actually buying a PS2.
I'm only quoting this to remind myself that I do have Hit N Run, but on the Gamecube. I suppose I should try to find that Batman game, too.

Anyway, a holiday bump. My fiance got me a Sega Genesis (Gen 1) for my birthday along with Aladdin, Lion King, Jurassic Park, and Sonic. We also went to the local gameshop where I purchased Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat 2, Sonic 2, and NBA JAM T.E. So far we have played a little of everything and it is such a rush playing these games again after almost 20 years.

I'm amazed at how intricate the level designs are of Sonic. As a kid I was concerned about rushing through the level at Sonic's blazing speed, but when you actually slow down a bit there's a lot to explore on a vertical level. Aladdin is still amazing while The Lion King is still exceedingly difficult in random places. I have finally figured out how to push back in NBA Jam and its glorious.

Even the games I never had as a kid are awesome. Mortal Kombat really shines and you can see its roots planted that still holds true to today. The flashy moves are great, but the real treat is getting in a nice combo on your opponent before settling into a special move to finish them off.

I also managed to pick up Rogue Squadron for the N64 as well as an extra Gamecube controller so we can finally go head to head in WaveRace and SSX. Unfortunately, the N64 has seemingly died so I haven't been able to jump in an X-Wing yet.

I'm hoping we can set up the Wii again. I have a hankering for some Luigi's Mansion and Mario Galaxy.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:00 PM   #78
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
I'm only quoting this to remind myself that I do have Hit N Run, but on the Gamecube. I suppose I should try to find that Batman game, too.

Anyway, a holiday bump. My fiance got me a Sega Genesis (Gen 1) for my birthday along with Aladdin, Lion King, Jurassic Park, and Sonic. We also went to the local gameshop where I purchased Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat 2, Sonic 2, and NBA JAM T.E. So far we have played a little of everything and it is such a rush playing these games again after almost 20 years.

I'm amazed at how intricate the level designs are of Sonic. As a kid I was concerned about rushing through the level at Sonic's blazing speed, but when you actually slow down a bit there's a lot to explore on a vertical level. Aladdin is still amazing while The Lion King is still exceedingly difficult in random places. I have finally figured out how to push back in NBA Jam and its glorious.

Even the games I never had as a kid are awesome. Mortal Kombat really shines and you can see its roots planted that still holds true to today. The flashy moves are great, but the real treat is getting in a nice combo on your opponent before settling into a special move to finish them off.

I also managed to pick up Rogue Squadron for the N64 as well as an extra Gamecube controller so we can finally go head to head in WaveRace and SSX. Unfortunately, the N64 has seemingly died so I haven't been able to jump in an X-Wing yet.

I'm hoping we can set up the Wii again. I have a hankering for some Luigi's Mansion and Mario Galaxy.
That's awesome on the Genesis and games you picked up; I have a model 2 Genesis and I've been hooked on Columns and NHL 94 when I fire it up.

Wife picked me up a slew of PS2 games, including the surprisingly good 24 The Video Game. A few people had recommended it as a hidden gem and I can see why. Good mix of action, stealth and puzzle solving.

Also scored the Hitman trilogy.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:59 PM   #79
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Great thread DJ. So here is my list of consoles I own. I did retire a few....more on that later.

Atari 2600
Intellivision
NES
Sega Genesis
PS
Gamecube
PS2
Xbox
Xbox 360
PS3
PS4

I boxed up and put in storage about 2 years ago my original 2600 wood grain console as well as my Intellivision system. However I went ahead and bought an Atari 7 Flashback system (and ordered two brand new plug in joy sticks as the wireless ones are crap) as well as an Intellivision Flashback. My son is amazed I played these systems LOL. But he loves playing some of the games with me like Sea Battle, Boxing and Baseball on the Intellivision and Asteroids, Combat, Yars Revenge, DodgeEm and Warlords on the Atari.

I still play my NES.....we jam Tecmo Bowl and Super Bowl Tecmo Bowl as well as a ton of other NES classics (Golgo 13 anyone?). NES was one of my favorite systems ever because the sports games were very strong at the time. Baseball Stars, Bases Loaded 2 (my personal favorite of the series), and of course the greatest game Super Bowl Tecmo Bowl. I also really like Jalco's Soccer and Tennis (company that made Bases Loaded). Ninja Gaiden? Finished that 3 times......one of the toughest games ever. And no save points. Brutal. Also a vastly underrated charming and extremely tough game called Friday The 13th. Oh and how can I forget Ring Kings???
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 01-18-2017, 12:50 PM   #80
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

I've been playing A Link to the Past via virtual console on the Wii.

This game is a blast.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »