Home

Retro Console/Game Collecting Thread

This is a discussion on Retro Console/Game Collecting Thread within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2016, 12:35 AM   #33
Video Game Dev

Spear's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Retro Console/Game Collecting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunofharlem3
I used to have all my old systems on display and hooked up ready to play. But it was a mess. So when I redid the dank, my man cave is called the dank...it's a lovely place, I put all my wonderful old machines in a box and in the attic.

I have all my owned games as roms but it just isn't the same on a pc. I am getting the bug to hook them all up again. But wondering if anyone has a retro gaming setup or display that is playable through switchers or something.

Organization is not my thing, making things work is but I tend to not care about aesthetics. Wondering what your setups are if you have one

I have an 8 port AV switcher hooked up to an HD converter. Changed my gaming life forever.

Can be found on Amazon for a cheap price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join our Discord to learn more - https://discord.gg/v8aFWkmYMT!

http://www.varsityvideogame.com
https://www.spearinteractive.com
Old 03-09-2016, 08:22 AM   #34

Cheese2121's Arena

OVR: 1

Just picked up a Gameboy Color and red version of Pokemon. Time to relive the glory days.

XBL Gamer Tag: MrCheese2121 (feel free to add/message me!)

Currently Playing:
NCAA '12 (Xbox 360)
Old 03-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #35
All Star

PeoplesChampGB's Arena

OVR: 0

Getting back into retro gaming. Bought a Retron 3 and a N64. Also bought two NES, SNES, and Genesis controllers for the Retron. Going through Ocarina of Time and then its on to the original Zelda. In between that I will be playing Ninja Turtles the Arcade Game and Ninja Turtles: Manhattan Project with my wife.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2016, 11:01 PM   #36
Rookie

RNunez187's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoplesChampGB
Getting back into retro gaming. Bought a Retron 3 and a N64. Also bought two NES, SNES, and Genesis controllers for the Retron. Going through Ocarina of Time and then its on to the original Zelda. In between that I will be playing Ninja Turtles the Arcade Game and Ninja Turtles: Manhattan Project with my wife.
How is the Retron? Do you feel it is worth the money so far?
Old 03-09-2016, 11:51 PM   #37
Always batting 1.000

mpulse24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoplesChampGB
I was looking into retrons, but there is just something about playing on the original hardware that can't be matched.

Growing up I built up a huge game collection, from NES to the PS2. Sadly, like a fool, I ended up trading almost everything in around the time I graduated High School because at the time, I really needed the money.

But last summer, I was really getting nostalgic thinking back on old games I loved and dove head first into Retro game collecting. When Gamestop's website starting selling retro classics last July, I picked up a Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo (which I never got to own as a kid) and an N64. Surprisingly, all three consoles showed up in really good condition, especially the SNES, it looked like it was never played!

As last summer went on, I picked up a Sega Dreamcast and NES from them as well, those ones, I didn't have as much luck with. Theres some annoying screen flickering going on with the Dreamcast, idk if its the console, the VGA cable or the VGA to HDMI adapter. The NES I had picked up worked well for a few months and then some lines started running vertically on the screen and I think a capacitor or something popped in it. I tried replacing the A/V capacitors, but its basically a paperweight at the moment. Seeing that I had such good luck with my first three consoles, I didn't take an extended warranty on the next two...like a fool, again! haha

But I have been building up the retro game collection slowly since then...

NES: Super Mario Bros. 3, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, The Legend of Zelda, Excitebike
SNES: Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars, Super Punch-Out!!
Genesis: Sonic The Hedgehog 2, 3 and Knuckles, Streets of Rage 1 and 2, Street Fighter II, Maximum Carnage, Revenge of Shinobi, Golden Axe and NHLPA '93
N64: Goldeneye, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, WCW/NWO Revenge and WWF No Mercy
Dreamcast: Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure, Ready 2 Rumble and Virtua Tennis

I have put my game collecting on hold for a while, with work being so insane. But over the next few months, I want to get the Dreamcast issues ironed out and find a site to pick up another NES from. I want to pick up a Sega Master System and Sega CD as well! I know, most people think Sega CD was lame, but there were some gems released on that system.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:04 PM   #38
All Star

PeoplesChampGB's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNunez187
How is the Retron? Do you feel it is worth the money so far?
The retron I have is really good. It's the 2.4ghz model. I love having all three consoles in one. I got it on Amazon Prime for $55 dollars brand new. I like that I can have three games loaded in it at one time which is convenient and it comes with two wireless controllers but I recommend getting the actual controllers if possible. Make sure you get the newer model, it comes in a smaller box than the older model. The older model I heard has problems. It has an a/v input and an s-video input.

The Nintendo and SNES clones are pretty much perfect. The sega clone plays perfect but the sound ddegrades but its not enough to dissuade from buying.

My retro library so far (Started with nothing):

NES-Zelda, Ninja Turtles 2, Ninja Turtles: Manhattan Project

SNES- Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario World, Maximum Carnage, Super Street Fighter II, Zelda: Link to the Past, Super Castlevania IV

Genesis- UMK3

N64- WWF No Mercy, Super Smash Bros., Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Old 03-11-2016, 09:46 PM   #39
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

I almost plunged and bought an N64 just to play No Mercy and the WCW games, but with us moving in two weeks, I'll let that dust settle and then see what I can find in a month or two.

Anyone collecting for the PSP should check out GameStop. Tons of games $5-10.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 03-11-2016, 10:57 PM   #40
The buzz is palpable now!

sportznut02's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
I almost plunged and bought an N64 just to play No Mercy and the WCW games, but with us moving in two weeks, I'll let that dust settle and then see what I can find in a month or two.

Anyone collecting for the PSP should check out GameStop. Tons of games $5-10.
I bought an N64 about 8 years ago just so I could play No Mercy,Wrestlemania, Revenge, and World Tour. I found all 4 games on Ebay brand new at some point and time. I had a playstation growing up so I missed out the N64. What other must have games should I get for it?

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »