Home

Unwinnable Career Mode Fixtures

This is a discussion on Unwinnable Career Mode Fixtures within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: Unwinnable Career Mode Fixtures

The famous emotion engine. Appalling.

I've done the same thing, i.e. played a particular career mode fixture multiple times to understand WTF was going on. In short, the game in its glory decides that you should experience a very tough game that week, but whatever formula they're using must be prepared for low difficulty levels or something, because at higher difficulty levels the game becomes downright comical.

As OpTiOnMaStA says the games are winnable in theory with a very small margin for errors. I even won some 2-1 & 3-2 (at world class). Here are some of the things I've noticed.

During the match look at the other team's player ratings. If they have several pulling 7+, then you may be in it for a bad one even if you don't notice it yet (I was up 2-0 once before I lost the game and later found out this was a tough match).

Usually the game makes you more vulnerable after scoring. In these fixtures that goes to overdrive. After kickoff get the ball back and pass it between your CBs for 5 minutes. The 45th minute crap goes to overdrive as well, so don't give away corners.

The 80th minute crap goes to overdrive as well. I normally can score when they go berserk, but not in these fixtures. There's no shame in this. Go 4-5-1. Switch to your most defensive tactics. Kick everything to their corner flags.

As to how to actually score, I find that my crosses seem to be wasted more often, but through balls and dribbling works more or less as usual.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

I think the 45 and 80+ minute goals are due to playing on lower minutes. I rarely saw it when I played 15 minute halves. I think the match is just so short on 6 minutes that when teams finally start to figure out the opposing team, it's already late. So the goals come in and may be a bit forced by the engine, but they're usually deserved. At least that's how they've seemed to me. I've seen it a bit more on 10 minute halves, but nothing game breaking. They are also on all out offense at that point, so if your defense isn't solid, you're going to let 'em through. I don't think it's scripted or unstoppable as so many people claim. I've played a ton of career mode matches with different clubs and I've never found anything that I thought was unfair.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #11
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15

i agree the momentum is absurd at times. its usually noticable early on the game when super goalie is active or when i constantly hit bar shot after shot. when this happens, i know i my defense must not give up any cheap goals. So my focus is just to be patient and wait, hold them to a shutout or 1 goal if the team is good. the momentum will turn in your favor and you can completely swing the game into your favor if you are patient.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
Rookie

Gnemi's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamg0dly
So my focus is just to be patient and wait, hold them to a shutout or 1 goal if the team is good. the momentum will turn in your favor and you can completely swing the game into your favor if you are patient.
I've tried this to no avail. Patience leads to nothing, unless I'm after a 0-0 or 1-1 draw.

Winning these matches just becomes a test of my sanity.

My recommendation is to honestly just move on. Take the point if you can get one. Accept no points if it's truly bad. EA are trying to keep your season, and moreover your Career Mode, interesting enough that you stick with it.

To some degree, it's hard to blame them. If I found myself top of the table and 8 points in the clear, I might not log on as often.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
BOOM!

gerg1234's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnemi
I've tried this to no avail. Patience leads to nothing, unless I'm after a 0-0 or 1-1 draw.

Winning these matches just becomes a test of my sanity.

My recommendation is to honestly just move on. Take the point if you can get one. Accept no points if it's truly bad. EA are trying to keep your season, and moreover your Career Mode, interesting enough that you stick with it.

To some degree, it's hard to blame them. If I found myself top of the table and 8 points in the clear, I might not log on as often.
I play for the point too. I got lucky in one of the matches and had a beautiful header when I bombed in a pass from mid-field.
San Francisco Giants
Chicago Blackhawks
MLS: Portland Timbers
EPL: Liverpool FC
Old 01-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #14
Rookie

4EverBlowingBubbles's Arena

OVR: 2

I hear you! The 80 minute cpu 'God mode' was unbearable at times when I first switched to Legendary mode and 15 minute halves. As mentioned before, the opposing team goes all out offense but this means their defensive line becomes as vunerable as yours. Just keep that in mind and keep passing the ball around. Go for through balls down the wings. I find these to be very effective, especially if you play with manual settings. I don't even try to dribble past the opponents. Even your fastest strikers will get easily tackled.

I now play as AFC Wimbledon in CM. Yesterday, had my first round league match against Nottingham Forest. I was leading the game 1-0 all the way up to the 80th minute, then BAM! God mode kicks in. 4 goals were scored in the final minutes of the match which finally ended in a 3-2 win to the AFC Dons. I scored my last two goals doing what I mentioned above. The poor bastards thought they could snatch victory from me.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 0
I actually think that when the "God mode" kicks in it's easier for me to score because the defensive line is so vulnerable. Since everyone rushes you (usually 2 or 3 players at a time) they leave wide open spaces. However there have been times when they take the win from me but oh well, that is football after all and I actually like this feature because its more realistic. It may be a bit exaggerated at times but overall realistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #16
MVP

UK0wnag3's Arena

OVR: 14

Preaching to the temple, man!

I can't remember the last time I beat Crystal Palace. Every time I play them, Glenn Murray turns up and plays like Pele.

He's good, I get it. But I don't think beating four players and smashing one from 30 yards out should be the main source of his goals.
Arizona Cardinals
Phoenix Suns
Twitter

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »