Home

Are the graphics better than in the demo or not (PS4)??

This is a discussion on Are the graphics better than in the demo or not (PS4)?? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Are the graphics better than in the demo or not (PS4)??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
It's not about "sticking it to EA" for some of us. It's about paying $59.99 for a complete game.
Totally.

I really don't get why EA didn't show a little love with a one year exception and drop the price to reflect what's actually being delivered right now.

Could certainly have raised the price back once all these "patches" roll out.

(extremely skeptical on this - Think most all of it will be gone until NHL 16)
Old 09-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
Rookie

alangst's Arena

OVR: 1

After playing the ps4 demo (and having skipped nhl for about 5 years), I was amazed and loved it. I bought the ps4 version through Dell to get a $25 gift card, and was crazy excited.

Then with EA Access, I was quite surprised by the lack of features, even though I still loved the gameplay and graphics.

After seeing all of the features that were missing from nhl 14, I decided to go find a used copy of 14 for the 360, and give it a shot. Graphically, the game still looks really good on the 360 and the different gameplay modes are overwhelming. My only problem so far is that I havn't found a great camera angle yet (I really liked the dynamic med on nhl 15 so I'm looking for something similar). Also, the bouncy puck on cpu dump passes is really, really annoying, and kind of drives me crazy.

Now I'm a bit torn about which copy to keep, and which to ebay. The great thing is i'm back in love with an nhl game like I first was with my ps1 copy of Faceoff (I think that was the sony version).
Old 09-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
I agree with you that graphics aren't everything, etc., but this thread was started in order to discuss the visuals and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm also curious, as I found the PS4 demo to be a bit hazy and lacking detail vs. the EA Access release on Xbone. The demo was only about 2gb though, so I'm thinking it was likely lower res textures or something along those lines. Would love confirmation however.

And OP, there's no way the full game would look worse than the demo.
Thank you and well said! Yes, that is my point exactly. I started this thread because the other threads are focusing on complaints about all sorts of things.

All I want to know is whether people who have the full game for the PS4 are finding it to look improved graphically over the demo.

During the demo, several people including myself, posted that it looked low-res and/or hazy/fuzzy. And we were wondering if the graphics were just that way, somehow, because it was a demo.

Now that people have the game, I'd like to know. Because for me, personally, if the graphics look like the demo I am not interested in playing it as it ruins my experience. Other people will have their preferences and reasons to buy it or not buy it.

So folks please - if you've played both the real game and demo on the PS4, let us know if the graphics are improved in the full game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #12
Rookie

iamcline's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kguy
So folks please - if you've played both the real game and demo on the PS4, let us know if the graphics are improved in the full game.
To me the graphics do seem a bit washed out. Not as bad as the demo version but they aren't sharp or crisp for me. Perhaps this is the look EA wanted? Not sure.

Even though they seem a bit washed, the 3D models are incredible.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 3

The graphics are exactly the same as the demo. I played the demo on both PS4 and X1, they look nearly identical. Any sort of "washed out" references to the PS4 version are just due to the fact that the Xbone has a wacky gamma curve so visuals appear darker and colors more intense (but while introducing black crush). The PS4 version isn't washed out, it has correct gamma output. I have the retail game on X1 and the visuals are identical to the demo (720p ish res).
Old 09-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw333
The graphics are exactly the same as the demo. I played the demo on both PS4 and X1, they look nearly identical. Any sort of "washed out" references to the PS4 version are just due to the fact that the Xbone has a wacky gamma curve so visuals appear darker and colors more intense (but while introducing black crush). The PS4 version isn't washed out, it has correct gamma output. I have the retail game on X1 and the visuals are identical to the demo (720p ish res).
Thanks! That is exactly what I wanted to know. I am not going to buy the game because for my personal tastes, the graphics in the demo were too washed out and the game play just looked too low-res for my liking (except for the crowd). Really, every game I can think of that I've played on the system has looked much better and I'm not willing to settle for it even if the gameplay is great (demo did play well). I'll wait and pick it up once the price comes down.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 3

I just got back with both xbox one and ps4 copies. I can second that the ps4 version has exactly the same fuzzy, washed out resolution as the demo (absolutely not 1080p native).

The xbox one version looks to be the same resolution, but does look noticeably "less washed out and fuzzy", probably due to the scaler and the xboxes somewhat borked color rendering.

It's a noticeable difference, in favor of xbox one on my large tv. To each their own.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #16
Rookie

No, the graphics are not improved at all. It looks like an unfinished product. It's exactly like the demo.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »