Home

Shouldn't We be COMMENDING EAS NHL 15?

This is a discussion on Shouldn't We be COMMENDING EAS NHL 15? within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2014, 07:36 PM   #33
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Shouldn't We be COMMENDING EAS NHL 15?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs
I think it's an odd gaming world we live when gameplay becomes not the first and foremost important part of the game. I preface this with saying I have yet to purchase the game (more on that in a bit), but I have played the demo extensively. The gameplay, imo, is much improved. Even ignoring graphics and presentation, the basic foundation of any video game is not modes or frills, it's base game play. They fixed that to a good degree (it's not perfect, so the obligatory "well the CPU still..." need not apply since I'm not claiming perfection). To me, if the base gameplay sucks then who cares what else you can do if the game on the ice is horrid? Modes just give you different ways to experience that on-ice action.

I haven't bought the game quite yet because I'm waiting for the patch. With the patch, and the improved gameplay, and maybe a small sale, I'll buy the game. Because at that point, the game will be totally worth it. It's good on the ice for the most part. Probably the best on-ice game we've seen in years, considering the whole on-ice package.

I understand disappointment with lack of some frilly modes, but how many of us truly play things like a tournament using the SM-Liga? I never wasted my time. The BeaPro loss of sim-to-next-shift and playing the minors mean's it's a busted mode, but I rarely dabbled in it, myself. EASHL is a loss, and disappointing, but not a game killer. Plus, if they ported over gameplay, who cares if a lot of these modes were still around?
Expecting functional AI isn't expecting perfection though. If the AI still doesn't skate in properly on odd-man rushes, or your defender goes and leaves no one in front of the net to cross-check a guy in the faceoff dot, that's not "almost perfect" that's just bad.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:03 AM   #34
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesizdead
Mmm no

Missing game modes I could've lived with, temporarily, but it's not just that.

EASHL is not coming this year, GMC might not come back at all. Offline modes I couldn't care less about, so, whatever.

But gameplay? It's like they took the bad aspects of 11,12,13 & 14 and compressed them into a pretty little package. Auto-pass is horrible, puck control is too high, protect puck is broken, skating feels less responsive than in 14, goalies suck more than ever, and INTERFERENCE DOESN'T GET CALLED,dekes...meh. The game feels very arcadey to me, NHL14 took steps towards sim-style hockey and now they took two steps back.

But hey, they fixed the bouncy puck, woohoo!
To me, and I've had NHL 14 and less than the amount of time I've had 15's demo. From what I've played NHL 15 has taken 14 used a few advantages with the opportunity to do more and advanced on it. I'm talking strictly gameplay wise, I think the skating is better, of course the puck creates alot of new ways of excitement, I only use manual shot and passing so I can't really speak to it. The ai executes a little bit better, seeing less mindblowingly bad turnovers, and better execution overall. Goalies in the demo were weak, and my biggest gripe as well however I don't have the full game so I don't know how much they improve especially on the maximum levels. Also, they do have a number of improved qualities to them over any previous game. They are just not optimized yet on next gen it appears.

Altogether, yet based on the demo only, 15' plays the most convincing sequences of hockey to this point (for a video game). Still it's behind on many features I'd like to see introduced, like a personal mood for each player that alters of the course of a game and season. This is not new, because it was in a NHL game I played as a kid. Hitting is still not where I want it be yet, especially on the glass.

However, on ice, I feel like they have significantly improved from 14'. Then of course it has the better graphics..
Old 09-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #35
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by @legendm0de
To me, and I've had NHL 14 and less than the amount of time I've had 15's demo. From what I've played NHL 15 has taken 14 used a few advantages with the opportunity to do more and advanced on it. I'm talking strictly gameplay wise, I think the skating is better, of course the puck creates alot of new ways of excitement, I only use manual shot and passing so I can't really speak to it. The ai executes a little bit better, seeing less mindblowingly bad turnovers, and better execution overall. Goalies in the demo were weak, and my biggest gripe as well however I don't have the full game so I don't know how much they improve especially on the maximum levels. Also, they do have a number of improved qualities to them over any previous game. They are just not optimized yet on next gen it appears.

Altogether, yet based on the demo only, 15' plays the most convincing sequences of hockey to this point (for a video game). Still it's behind on many features I'd like to see introduced, like a personal mood for each player that alters of the course of a game and season. This is not new, because it was in a NHL game I played as a kid. Hitting is still not where I want it be yet, especially on the glass.

However, on ice, I feel like they have significantly improved from 14'. Then of course it has the better graphics..
The More I play the more I find and even the strategies and AI are much improved and I can literally through sliders and skill level alone play this game anyway I want with incredibly accurate stats .

Gotta disagree on goalies because if you make them tough enough you really have to work for the goals and just like the real NHL you can only take what a elite pro nhl goalie will give you .
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2014, 05:39 PM   #36
Rookie

s_mkheidze's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHAMISASHAME
The More I play the more I find and even the strategies and AI are much improved and I can literally through sliders and skill level alone play this game anyway I want with incredibly accurate stats .

Gotta disagree on goalies because if you make them tough enough you really have to work for the goals and just like the real NHL you can only take what a elite pro nhl goalie will give you .
yes but how that is done is the issue. If you boost the goalies then they make these ridiculous "spider-man" saves. With the goalies on the lowest possible settings...they still stop like 90% of one-timers....and I mean the top notch type chances.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #37
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mkheidze
yes but how that is done is the issue. If you boost the goalies then they make these ridiculous "spider-man" saves. With the goalies on the lowest possible settings...they still stop like 90% of one-timers....and I mean the top notch type chances.
Please dont take this the wrong way but depending on sliders and skill level I can make this game play anyway I want within reason of course and it shines in NHL 15 .
Like on pro I can set up great stat sliders that looses the cpu boost and I prefer to play on that level but lack of penalties become a issue .

Same with goalies I can change his reaction to 5 which is tough but ad a few clicks to cpu shooting and Im good on allstar level .

Im perfectly happy with the goaltending in this game and quite impressed and I really like how they move and all the new animations as I really dont know what people are expecting from a video game as goalie has to be pretty hard to recreate in a video game dont you think and this is coming from a longtime netmider .
Old 09-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #38
Pro

Arrowhead21's Arena

OVR: 1

edit: sry guys, wrong theread -.-
NBA:Toronto Raptors
MLB:Toronto Blue Jays
NCAAF:Oregon Ducks
NCAAB:Kansas Jayhawks

Last edited by Arrowhead21; 09-16-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:46 PM   #39
Rookie

s_mkheidze's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESHAMISASHAME
Please dont take this the wrong way but depending on sliders and skill level I can make this game play anyway I want within reason of course and it shines in NHL 15 .
Like on pro I can set up great stat sliders that looses the cpu boost and I prefer to play on that level but lack of penalties become a issue .

Same with goalies I can change his reaction to 5 which is tough but ad a few clicks to cpu shooting and Im good on allstar level .

Im perfectly happy with the goaltending in this game and quite impressed and I really like how they move and all the new animations as I really dont know what people are expecting from a video game as goalie has to be pretty hard to recreate in a video game dont you think and this is coming from a longtime netmider .
Thats fair. And what would I take the wrong way about your post? You voiced you opinion perfectly and respectfully. I appreciate reading peoples well written opinions on this game.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:17 AM   #40
MVP

THESHAMISASHAME's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mkheidze
Thats fair. And what would I take the wrong way about your post? You voiced you opinion perfectly and respectfully. I appreciate reading peoples well written opinions on this game.
Thanks my English is pretty bad but I try , too many pucks to the head and yes theres always room for improvement but how I see things is if nothing stands out odd or not right to me visually Im happy .

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »