Home

The Presentation and Announcing Is Embarrassing

This is a discussion on The Presentation and Announcing Is Embarrassing within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32
The Presentation and Announcing Is Embarrassing

Having played the NHL series since NHLPA and once been considered one of the best slider makers on the site, I don't feel purchasing NHL 15 for a next gen system is necessary to make a comment. I've watched a lot of gameplay and I've seen enough.

This game is a total disappointment. The commentary is worse than what we had on PS2 iterations of the sport. I'm actually stunned by how bad it is.

Just a monumentally disappointing effort on the Presentation end of the game which, allegedly, is what they spent most of their effort on. No excuse for this and it shows what their mindset is regarding the quality they deem passable. Unacceptable.

I'm definitely holding off for a few years on the next gen system as hockey is all I play. I wont even get into the fact that they sold a roster update for 60 bucks on last gen.

It's gotten out of hand and we need to hold them accountable. For far too long we've bought games just out of a knee jerk reaction because we love the sport, but until this game really impresses, I will have nothing to do with it.

I mean, the commentary is so bad it needs to be redone from the bottom up already. I'm disgusted.

Sorry to be negative or whatever, but, I just can't help it on this one. I just can't...

its stunningly terrible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The Presentation and Announcing Is Embarrassing

Well I don't think its that horrible but your right the effort they put into it and this game as a whole seems so lazy. I played the first game of my BeaGM, the first game mind you and the commentary stated what a wonderful year my goalie is having so far.....in another game I gave up 3 goals on 5 shots and the commentary stated that we can concentrate on offense because the goalie is having an amazing night in net.......LOL. Its just lazy for that crap. I can almost accept the missing modes as a part of transitioning to the next gen and a new look (not sure I buy it though) but there are so many little things that make you think they didn't even test the game themselves.....lol
Old 09-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
Rookie

ScudDawg's Arena

OVR: 1

Yeah, the one I don't like is when they comment on you goalie's win percentage in the pregame, saying so and so has a bad win percentage, when they are 7-0 on the season.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 4

In my opinion, I think the presentation is okay. The score overlays and such are gorgeous, although having better stats used would help a lot. ie Season goals instead of game goals.

As for the commentators, I am not sure what people expect. I look at it this way, the NHL series prior had Hugson et al for many years, so of course there was way more lines of dialogue. For this being the first campaign with the new announcers, all 3 of them, I think they do a pretty good job. People reference certain instances and my guess it they just didn't have time to record all types of instances. Although some like the win percentage is terrible, I think it's pretty good. Although I am tired of the "waffle board" comment.

This is just year one for this team, I expect them to add more and more each year until we get it to where things don't suck. One thing I think people forget is that there are only so many lines of commentary that can be chosen, unlike real life bradcasting where the human vocabulary is the limit.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 24

I was super amped when I heard Doc was in the game. Now, because EA failed miserably at implementing him and the others, I mute them. Sad.

I'm by no means a basketball fan, but just listen to the commentary in NBA 2K.

That's how it needs to be done!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

The presentation, while not as good as it could be, is still a nice step up from last-gen...

The commentary, though, is quite terrible... Distractingly bad at times. "Recoiling" has gotta be the most annoying one for me so far. Along with "Waffle board" (WTF does that even mean?) Players passing "geometrically" is another goody...
Old 09-25-2014, 08:26 PM   #7
Rookie

hotjoint's Arena

NHL 15 is just a failure, there's no other word for it.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #8
Just started!

InterInter13's Arena

I disagree.

I, personally, have had my fill of Bill Clement.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »