Home

An effective strategy in EA UFC 3

This is a discussion on An effective strategy in EA UFC 3 within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2018, 09:16 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
An effective strategy in EA UFC 3

At least until there is a new patch I don't see why this wouldn't constitute a guide.

In my opinion this is the most consistently effective strategy outside of picking Maia and doing maia.

Always pick a character with a high power, speed, length and head movement stats. If you have to sacrifice stamina it is not as big of a concern, explained later. IF you can get a fighter with good top or bottom game that is also a plus against grapplers.

My general picks, from most effective (left) to slightly effective (right)

HW: JDS, Stipe
LHW: Rumble
MW: Robert Whitaker, Yoel Romero, Souza
WW: Woodley, Thompson, GSP
LW: Ferguson, McGregor, Khabib
FW: McGregor, Edgar
BW: Cody Garbrant, TJ Dillashaw
FLY: Demetrious

The strategy is to combine stationary head movement to bait attacks while chipping away at your opponent when they become hesitant. If you stay stationary and use head movement you can finds shifts between sways and ducks. For example, you can sway right and immediately duck when your opponent throws a high kick (will post video later of an instant ko).

Some good counter sways I would suggest.

Sway right -> Uppercut
Duck - Uppercut
Duck -> Lead hook
Sway right/left -> Double hooks

Your opponent may eventually figure you out and try a few things. One strategy will be to attack your body with kicks, so be prepared to catch them, or sway right to avoid the strike (generally) and land two hooks. They may try to attack your legs, this is a little more difficult but you can check these or shoot in and strike hard with a combination (they will generally be open).

What you want to do is to force them to engage with you in boxing. So your footwork generally involves going forward only enough to prepare to be stationary again. The key is not to do moving sways, as these are less effective. One great strategy for pressure is to attack the body, just be cautious for uppercuts. You can strike and then go back to stationary head movement and counter the uppercut.

The benefits of this strategy:

Your opponent will generally lose more stamina than you because they are often missing strikes.

You have a high chance of baiting a high kick and switching to duck for an instant KO with an uppercut (especially if you are using a powerful fighter ).

It is pretty easy to avoid grapplers as they can't setup their takedowns without pressure, and clinch attempts will usually leave them exposed for instant KD.

On top of missing strikes, a KD will drain your opponent's stamina, by round 2 they are usually completely out of gas.

This is a very effective strategy that can be continually improved by working on your defenses (get better on ground/clinch or td denials) and offenses (learn how to switch between sway and ducks better).

Remember that with the combination of sways + ducks you essentially limit their striking techniques to leg kicks. There are fewer vulnerability frames because you are always moving your head and it does not have to return to center. Eventually they will start to let go of their head block and it becomes easy to land quick strikes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2018, 10:15 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: An effective strategy in EA UFC 3

As someone who moves a lot and doesn't like to stand still swaying back and forth fishing for counters, I can vouch that this is unfortunately a very effective strategy.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #3
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

LOL. This is exactly the cheese I'm talking about. EXACTLY. https://forums.operationsports.com/f...y-spam-41.html
Old 03-08-2018, 10:50 AM   #4
Rookie

This is unfortunately a true strategy when playing against top players in UT. Took me a day to figure it out by just watching people. This patch is truly a step backwards in so many ways
Old 03-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #5
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

OP also posted a thread a few days ago saying the game was worse - https://forums.operationsports.com/f...-good-bye.html

I guess because he now found the most effective strategy AKA cheese it's okay again. Or maybe he realises it's BS. Either way, I hope people see what I'm saying better now if you didn't already.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2018, 11:06 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti95
OP also posted a thread a few days ago saying the game was worse - https://forums.operationsports.com/f...-good-bye.html

I guess because he now found the most effective strategy AKA cheese it's okay again. Or maybe he realises it's BS. Either way, I hope people see what I'm saying better now if you didn't already.
It still is bull****. I was going to quit, because in my years of doing mma I cringe at this tactic as a viable method...The way I looked at it, it doesn't seem like any serious changes are going to be made to head movement yet and rather than it being addressed I was mocked. I raised the concern immediately and people told me I just wasn't good enough until they faced the same high ranking competition I did, now everyone is making posts about it.

So rather than look at it like a Simulation game play experience, I treat it like any other fighting game. Where the point in fighting is to use the most effective strategies to defeat your opponent, regardless of how it looks. So, in the case of real life, BJJ looked odd at first but was very effective given real life mechanics. In EA UFC 3, head movement based fighting looks odd, but it is very effective given the game's mechanics. It's a principle in fighting games that you have to eventually adopt. The case was the same with EA UFC 2's dependence on combos. I couldn't stand that there were certain set combos with small variances that were extremely effective and unrealistic, but since the mechanic wasn't being changed I might as well adopt or lose.

At a certain point in ranked you just can't avoid it. You can probably get away with fighting at range against low-level opponents, but once you get to a certain point you realize this is a very different strategy than your normal duck spamming. So your best bet is always to be ready to box or grapple spam, pick your poison.

or tl;dr, if you can't beat em, join em.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:18 AM   #7
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFCBlackbelt
It still is bull****. I was going to quit, because in my years of doing mma I cringe at this tactic as a viable method...The way I looked at it, it doesn't seem like any serious changes are going to be made to head movement yet and rather than it being addressed I was mocked. I raised the concern immediately and people told me I just wasn't good enough until they faced the same high ranking competition I did, now everyone is making posts about it.

So rather than look at it like a Simulation game play experience, I treat it like any other fighting game. Where the point in fighting is to use the most effective strategies to defeat your opponent, regardless of how it looks. So, in the case of real life, BJJ looked odd at first but was very effective given real life mechanics. In EA UFC 3, head movement based fighting looks odd, but it is very effective given the game's mechanics. It's a principle in fighting games that you have to eventually adopt. The case was the same with EA UFC 2's dependence on combos. I couldn't stand that there were certain set combos with small variances that were extremely effective and unrealistic, but since the mechanic wasn't being changed I might as well adopt or lose.

At a certain point in ranked you just can't avoid it. You can probably get away with fighting at range against low-level opponents, but once you get to a certain point you realize this is a very different strategy than your normal duck spamming. So your best bet is always to be ready to box or grapple spam, pick your poison.

or tl;dr, if you can't beat em, join em.
Lol. Totally feel you. I felt the same way when everyone was cheesing what they were before the patch. I don't think the fact that this patch didn't fix the issues means there always has to be problems in ranked though. Don't get me wrong... Perfect balance is very hard to achieve. But all this patch has done is make the cheese slightly different. Other than taking things out like the unblockable side control elbow. An ideal place is hard to attain but we're currently very far from that. And that's not because the game is disaster and terrible. It's not like the game has to be completely revamped. It's achievable imo.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:07 PM   #8
Rookie

I would like to see this strategy at play, can you post a video?

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »