Home

RIFLE - A dystopian future football league (APF 2K8)

This is a discussion on RIFLE - A dystopian future football league (APF 2K8) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2023, 11:31 PM   #1
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8
RIFLE - A dystopian future football league (APF 2K8)

I am trying several different things with this dynasty, one of which is utilizing ChatGPT to write things. Some of the words will be authored by me, some will primarily be written by ChatGPT with edits from me. I will indicate whenever things are generated by AI vs me. This opening post is primarily AI-generated.

------

In the year 2150, football is a forgotten relic of the past. The sport that once captivated millions of fans and inspired generations of athletes has been replaced by safer, more sanitized forms of entertainment. The risks and injuries associated with the game were deemed too high, and the fans lost interest in watching human beings collide and compete on a field. Football faded into history, along with its legends and heroes.

But not everyone forgot. A group of wealthy and eccentric individuals, who grew up watching and playing football, decided to revive the sport in a new and innovative way. They created a league of robots, programmed with the skills, personalities and styles of the greatest players of all time. They used advanced technology to recreate the physical attributes and abilities of these legends, as well as their signature moves, celebrations and trash talk. They also designed the robots to have emotions, rivalries and loyalty to their teams.

The RIFLE (Robot Integrated Football League Entertainment) features 24 teams across the former USA, which has fractured into several smaller nations after a series of wars and disasters. The teams are based in cities that have some historical or cultural significance for football, or that offer some strategic or aesthetic advantage for the owners. For example, the Miami Vile are owned by the brilliant Alien scientist Nebulaia who is seeking to harvest the Earth’s resources. Or Aelara Vossk’s Seattle Sasquatch who are an homage to the colors and culture of a region that barely contains trees any longer.

The RIFLE looks to be a huge hit among the masses, who crave for some excitement and escapism in their dull and dreary lives. They will watch the games on giant screens or through immersive VR headsets, cheering for their favorite teams and players. They will be given the chance bet on the outcomes, collect memorabilia and merchandise, and join fan clubs and online communities. They look forward to admiring the skill and charisma of the robots, who emulate the likes of Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders, Lawrence Taylor and Joe Montana.

The league will also provide a much-needed escape and entertainment for people living in a bleak and dystopian world. The sport of football offers a contrast and a balance to the monotony and safety of their daily lives. It may give them a sense of adventure, risk and reward. It should remind them of the human spirit, the joy of competition and the beauty of teamwork. It will inspire them to dream, to hope and to strive for greatness.

The RIFLE also offers a unique form of entertainment for a society that had become dull and depressed. In a world where people lived in isolated bubbles of virtual reality, where everything was safe and predictable, where human interaction was rare and superficial, football provides a rare glimpse of excitement, danger, and emotion.

The RIFLE is not without its challenges and controversies. There are scandals involving cheating, hacking, sabotage and corruption among the owners, coaches and players. There are rivalries, conflicts and violence among the fans, who sometimes take their loyalty too far. There are accidents, malfunctions and glitches that cause injuries or deaths among the spectators or bystanders. And there are threats from enemies who want to destroy or take over the league for their own agendas.

But despite all these problems, the RIFLE continues to grow and prosper. It attracts more fans, sponsors and investors every year. It expands to new markets and territories every season. It innovates new technologies and features every game. And it inspires new generations of dreamers and adventurers every day.

League Structure
The team names and colors were largely suggested by ChatGPT, with some modifications by me

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.

Last edited by studbucket; 10-11-2023 at 12:15 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2023, 11:33 PM   #2
MVP

studbucket's Arena

Dynasty Details and League Rules

Who am I?
I normally post in the basketball dynasties, but felt like venturing over here to try something different. As far as I can tell, nobody has ever done an APF 2K8 dynasty, so I am excited to blaze a trail.

The Bulgarian Brothers is still my pride and joy, so please check that out if you are interested. It’s the story of twin brothers who are working their way through the college ranks in the hopes of winning NCAA and maybe even an NBA title.

What game am I using?
All Pro Football 2K8. While this may be a controversial opinion, this game probably still has the most realistic gameplay of any game available today and it’s 15 years old. However, it had some problems: no NFL license and a relatively shallow season mode really hurt it.

However, King Javo has released an editor for the game which allows far greater flexibility. I was excited to learn this and decided to dive back into APF 2K8 after not touching it for years.

For those unfamiliar with APF 2K8, the game consisted of 250+ legends. You could construct a team of 2 gold players (Jerry Rice, Dan Marino, Ronnie Lott, etc), 3 Silver players (Herman Moore, Nick Buoniconti, etc), and 6 bronze players (Dave Meggett, Leon Lett, Neil O’Donnell, etc). The rest of the roster would be filled with low-quality generic players. This made team building just as important as stick skills and you could build defensive juggernauts, well-balanced teams, and everything else. No matter what, there was probably another team that would give you fits. It was a blast to plan and structure teams.

Draft Rules
To start, all 24 teams in the league will follow the same 2/3/6 rules for player allocation, but that will adjust over time (more on that below in the Player Movement section).

I randomly ordered 24 teams and assigned each of the 24 teams a different focus, such as “Pass Heavy”, “Balanced”, or “Max Defense”. These focuses had different rules and restrictions on the number of legends they could get from different positions or sides of the ball. Within those constraints, I drafted for the teams using a random number generator to determine what position and player they would draft with each pick.

My Team
The exception to some of the above was the team I will be controlling: the Des Moines Dinos. I picked for them based on my preferences for the team I wanted. To start, I plan on playing all games with the Dinos, but I may adjust over time to simulate some games to help with balance and speed of progression.

Player Movement and Change

To keep the league interesting, there will be several ways that players can change teams, leave the league, or advance in skill. Here are each of the 7 ways that changes can happen.

The bottom 4 finishing teams are allowed to poach or swap players from the top 4 finishers (based on playoffs, not regular season). The last place team will take from the 1st place team, 23rd from 2nd, 22nd from 3rd, and 21st from 4th.

The bad teams have 3 possible choices:
  1. Take a Bronze player, give nothing in return
  2. Take a Silver player, give a Bronze player back
  3. Swap Gold players

At the end of the season, the very best generic players will be awarded with an ability.

The generic with the best season in the following categories will be rewarded:
  1. Passing (min 1800 yards)
  2. Rushing (min 500 yards)
  3. Receiving (min 500 yards)
  4. Blocking (Best team rushing total on a team with 1 or fewer star OL)
  5. Pass rushing
  6. Tackles
  7. Tackles for loss
  8. Pass defense (breakups and INTs)
  9. Kick / Punt return average (min 20 returns)

4 times per season, after weeks 4, 8, 12, and 16, a Random Rewards Wheel will be spun and a random team will be given a random reward. A team can only receive a random award once every 2 seasons. Here are the possible rewards.

1. Randomly choose a Legend on the team with less than 5 abilities. This legend is able to add an additional ability that fits into their style of play.
  2. Choose the most productive and impactful generic player on the team (that has not been previously upgraded). This player now gets 1 ability and +5 to any 2 attributes.
  3. Add a Bronze player from the legend pool to your roster.
  4. Exchange a Bronze player from your roster for a Silver player
  5. Exchange a Silver player from your roster for a Gold player
  6. Randomly choose a legend on your team. Increase an ability score by +5
  7. Randomly choose 3 generics on your team. Increase the same ability score for all 3 of them by +5

Players may retire for 2 reasons:
  1. They receive a season-long injury. This gives them a 50% chance of retiring in the offseason (randomly determined).
  2. Deprecation. Each offseason, 6 robotic players are randomly chosen from across the league for retirement.

If a player is retired, they are removed from the pool, and the team in question is allowed to choose a star of the same level from the available legend pool. If the team has more than 11 legends, they do not get to replace the retired legend.

Retirements take place AFTER team performance balancing, so there is some risk on the teams that do a swap.

Teams are rewarded for winning their division (regular season) and the championship.

The 6 division winners are allowed to add an ability to 1 Bronze player.

The world champion is allowed to add an ability and +5 attribute to any legend. They do this AFTER the bad teams have done a player swap with them.

During the offseason, teams are allowed to make 1:1 trades for players of the same tier.

I will then randomly generate a number between 1-100. There’s a 1% chance of fantastic rewards (if I roll a 100) and 2% chance of devastating consequences (if I roll a 1 or 2). For any other number, nothing happens. If a team successfully cheats or fails, one of the ~8 cheating-eligible owners will face one of the following outcomes.

If successful, one of the following benefits will be provided:
  • 3 bronze players are upgraded to silver
  • All bronze players receive an ability
  • 1 bronze player is now a gold player and gets a new ability
  • 5 generic players receive an ability
  • Every player on the roster receives +5 to any 1 attribute
If failed, one of the following punishments will be implemented:
  • All gold and silver players are now bronze
  • All bronze players are replaced with generics
  • The team is decommissioned (all players become generics) and will be replaced next season
  • Every player on the roster receives -5 to strength, speed, and catching

Last edited by studbucket; 10-26-2023 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-10-2023, 11:34 PM   #3
MVP

studbucket's Arena

Meet the Owners and Teams: Atlantic Conference

Here are the 12 teams and owners for the teams in the Atlantic Conference. The owner portraits and some of the descriptions were generated by ChatGPT and DALL-E.

Atlantic North

Melissa Anderson, Bangor Bees. A lifelong beekeeper and environmental advocate, became the owner of the Bangor Bees, aiming to raise awareness about pollinator conservation through her team's success.

Dr. Victor Thornfield, Boston Biohazard. A notorious and enigmatic mad scientist, found his haven in Boston where he could conduct his ethically questionable experiments without much interference. Obsessed with pushing the limits of bioengineering, he seized the opportunity to own the Biohazard team, viewing the players not just as athletes but as android specimens for his dangerous experiments. His selfish thirst for scientific glory and disregard for ethical boundaries drive his ownership, making the Boston Biohazard a team wrought with controversy and unpredictable outcomes.

Xylophos, New York Predators
. A shape-shifting extraterrestrial diplomat skilled in the art of infiltration and diplomacy.

Carlos Rodriguez, Cleveland Stallions
. Carlos Rodriguez amassed his wealth by exploiting the scarcity of essential resources in the dystopian world, establishing a ruthless monopoly on clean water and energy sources. His motivation for the Cleveland Stallions is purely self-serving, aiming to distract the masses from their struggles by offering a glimmer of hope through the team's success, ensuring his control and influence remain unchallenged.

Atlantic South

Xerak “Steelheart” Korr, Baton Rouge Behemoths. Known by his nickname "Steelheart," is an android created for the sole purpose of leadership and excellence. He was designed with advanced artificial intelligence, an indomitable will, and an unwavering commitment to his team and city. As an android, he possesses unparalleled analytical abilities and tactical prowess. General Korr's dedication to the Baton Rouge Behemoths is unmatched, and he leads the team with an ironclad determination to achieve victory.

Rylan Orin, Lafayette Leopards. An enigmatic tech tycoon found solace amidst the cultural richness and unique heritage of Lafayette, Louisiana, after the world descended into chaos. Using his vast wealth amassed from pioneering advancements in renewable energy, he established the Lafayette Leopards to bring hope to his adopted community. Driven by a deep-rooted belief in the power of unity, Orin sees the team as a symbol of resilience, aiming to uplift both the city and the world by showcasing the extraordinary capabilities of his AI-enhanced robotic athletes.

Solara, Atlanta Phoenix
. Solara hails from a distant planet known for its lush, pink flora and rejuvenating energies. Solara embodies the spirit of transformation and renewal, much like the phoenix. She is a wise and ancient being, dedicated to helping Earth rise from its challenges and find new hope.

Nebulaia, Miami Vile
. A brilliant scientist from a distant star system, leading a team of researchers exploring Earth's unique environment and resources.

Atlantic Central

Zorkon the Conqueror, Chicago Annihilators. A powerful warlord from the Andromeda Galaxy known for his ruthless tactics and advanced technology.

Francois Dubois, Oklahoma City Bison. A shrewd and charismatic entrepreneur, amassed his fortune through strategic investments in post-apocalyptic industries, particularly in water purification and agricultural innovations. His motivations for owning the Oklahoma City Bison are rooted in a desire for dominance and control, viewing the team as a means to assert his influence over the region, furthering his economic interests while maintaining an iron grip on essential resources in the dystopian world.

Zara Quell, Rapid City Bulldogs
. A former dog trainer, unexpectedly inherited her fortune from a distant relative who happened to be a successful tech magnate. With a deep love for animals and an unanticipated windfall, she decided to invest in the Rapid City Bulldogs, aiming to create a team that embodied loyalty, tenacity, and the spirit of man's best friend. Though her background was in training real canines, her uncanny ability to understand and predict behavior translated remarkably well to the strategic game of football, surprising everyone with her keen instincts and unconventional coaching methods, making the Rapid City Bulldogs a force to be reckoned with on the field.

Alex Thornton, Des Moines Dinos. The compassionate owner of Des Moines Dinos, is fueled by a deep love for children and a fervent desire to promote physical activity and teamwork. His dedication to fostering a healthier, active youth culture led him to invest in the Dinos, envisioning the team as a source of inspiration for generations, encouraging kids to embrace football and the values of camaraderie and sportsmanship it instills.

Last edited by studbucket; 10-10-2023 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-10-2023, 11:35 PM   #4
MVP

studbucket's Arena

Meet the Owners and Teams: Pacific Conference

Here are the 12 teams and owners for the teams in the Pacific Conference.

Pacific North

Daniel Turner, Corvallis Comets. A former NASA scientist and space enthusiast, Daniel Turner took ownership of the Corvallis Comets, infusing his love for astronomy into the team's identity, branding, and community outreach programs.

Aelara Vossk, Seattle Sasquatch. An eccentric billionaire with a deep fascination for cryptozoology and the unknown, chose Seattle as her home to delve into the mysteries of the Pacific Northwest. Her fascination with the legendary Sasquatch creature led her to name the team the Seattle Sasquatch. For Aelara, owning the team became a means to explore the boundaries of reality, pushing her passion for the unknown to new heights. Her motivations, while mysterious, revolve around unraveling the secrets of the Sasquatch legend, making the Sasquatch team not only a symbol of Seattle but also an embodiment of her endless curiosity.

Theron Kael, Spokane Sentinels. A former military strategist renowned for his tactical brilliance during the chaos that followed the world's collapse, amassed his wealth by offering security consulting services to emerging city-states. His motivation for owning the Spokane Sentinels lies in his vision for uniting fractured communities under the banner of sportsmanship. By fielding a team that embodies discipline and unity, he aims to inspire hope and cooperation, fostering stability in a world where trust is scarce and divisions are deep.

Kaelus Serin, Salem Thunderbirds. An eccentric billionaire with a passion for ornithology, established the Spokane Thunderbirds with a unique twist – the team's mascot, a magnificent thunderbird named Tempest, is an integral part of his history. Years ago, while exploring remote regions, Kaelus had a life-changing encounter with a thunderbird, a legendary creature in Native American folklore. This experience inspired him to create a football team in honor of the thunderbird's strength and majesty. Tempest, a highly intelligent and loyal robotic representation of the mythical bird, not only serves as the team's mascot but also acts as a symbol of hope and inspiration for fans, embodying the spirit of overcoming challenges and soaring to new heights.

Pacific South

Elena Petrovna, Austin Archers. Hailing from a lineage of brilliant scientists, inherited her wealth from pioneering advancements in renewable energy technology in the post-apocalyptic world. Her motivations for owning the Austin Archers are twofold: driven by both altruism and self-interest. Altruistically, she sees the team as a symbol of unity and hope in a fractured society, aiming to inspire people to work together for a better future. Selfishly, owning the team also grants her significant political power, allowing her to influence crucial decisions and maintain stability, ensuring her inventions and innovations continue to flourish.

Dr. Eliza Sterling, Amarillo Atoms. A brilliant scientist renowned for her breakthroughs in quantum computing, chose Amarillo as the home for her Atoms due to its strategic location near cutting-edge research facilities. Fueled by an unyielding curiosity about the intersection of technology and human potential, Sterling founded the team to test her experimental AI algorithms in a real-world setting. Motivated by a desire to push the boundaries of artificial intelligence, she sees the Amarillo Atoms as a living experiment, aiming to redefine the future of robotics and, in turn, human understanding of artificial intelligence.

Lira Tavos, Gilbert Scorpions. A pioneering scientist in robotics and AI, accumulated her wealth by developing advanced automation systems crucial for surviving in the harsh post-apocalyptic world. Her motivation for owning the Gilbert Scorpions stems from a desire to push the boundaries of artificial intelligence. By creating a team of highly sophisticated, adaptable robots, she aims to showcase the potential of technology while also exploring the ethical and moral implications of AI, making the football field a testing ground for the future of human-robot relationships.

Miguel Hernandez, Las Vegas Vipers. A savvy international businessman from Spain, acquired his wealth through a chain of high-end casinos and entertainment ventures in the remnants of Las Vegas. His motivations for owning the Las Vegas Vipers are twofold: a fervent desire for fame and legacy, aiming to etch his name in history as the owner of the most renowned team in the robotic football league, and a calculated strategy to capitalize on the Vipers' popularity, ensuring a steady stream of visitors to his casinos, further solidifying his empire in the post-apocalyptic city.

Pacific Central

Dr. Arachnia Weaver, Albuquerque Arachnids. Brilliant scientist with a passion for entomology and robotics. She is renowned for her groundbreaking work in creating lifelike robotic arachnids and insects. Dr. Weaver's fascination with the world of spiders and her technological expertise led her to acquire the Albuquerque Arachnids. Her team's mascot reflects her scientific achievements, and she is dedicated to bringing innovation and a sense of wonder to the game.

Amelia Stone, Denver Dynamos. A tech industry mogul with a passion for soccer, acquired the Denver Dynamos to revolutionize the sport through cutting-edge technology and fan engagement.

Galen Drayson, Billings Griffins
. A shrewd tech mogul with a background in robotics engineering, accumulated his wealth by pioneering advanced AI systems in the wake of societal collapse. His motivation for owning the Billings Griffins stems from his passion for cutting-edge technology and the desire to prove the potential of his robotic creations. By showcasing the Griffins' exceptional performance, he aims to attract lucrative contracts for his AI innovations, establishing his dominance in the competitive tech market of the post-apocalyptic world.

Victor Stormrider, Boise Onslaught
. Visionary entrepreneur who became known as a pioneer in advanced robotics and cybernetics. After a near-fatal accident that left him severely injured, Victor underwent extensive cybernetic enhancements to save his life. He emerged stronger and more determined than ever, with an unwavering desire for excellence and victory. His unique blend of human ingenuity and cybernetic prowess makes him a fitting owner for the Boise Onslaught, a team known for its advanced and formidable approach to the game.

Last edited by studbucket; 10-10-2023 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2023, 11:35 PM   #5
MVP

studbucket's Arena

History and links post

Here are some links to key moments in the league. Events are hidden in spoiler tags.

Season 1
Spoiler

Team Reward History
Spoiler

Want to get involved and influence this dynasty? Take this survey! https://forms.office.com/Pages/Respo...dSRDAyQkROWi4u

Last edited by studbucket; 11-06-2023 at 10:16 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2023, 05:03 AM   #6
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: History and links post

Color me intrigued.
Old 10-11-2023, 10:30 AM   #7
MVP

studbucket's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontoddwhitt
Color me intrigued.
I hope to deliver

Draft results coming over the next few days, then some season preview, then games start.

I'll get a survey out in a week or 2 that allows you to suggest former NFL players for the league and vote for your favorite teams/logos.

Old 10-11-2023, 11:10 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 7

Just skimmed over, but this is a really good idea, and it's clear you've put a lot of thought into it! Very cool.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »