Home

Running Tips

This is a discussion on Running Tips within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
MVP

UMhester04's Arena

OVR: 18
Running Tips

Madden 15 is everything i've ever wanted in the category of running the ball. Obviously it isn't perfect, but IMO never before has a Madden game felt so versatile and dynamic.

I want to give everyone that is willing to listen a few tips I've come across while playing and messing around in practice mode.

First and foremost - the precision modifier is essential to running the ball. When I first started, I would either hit R2 right away or just move the left stick to run, and felt like I had limited control with the ball carrier.

When you just take the handoff and run, you are in that upright, breakaway type running style that is reserved for open field. Not only that, but it is difficult to plant and change directions. However, when you are holding L2 (Precision Modifier) it is much easier to change direction and gauge the flow of the blockers.

TIP 1: Before the handoff is even given, be holding L2. Unless you are trying to just sprint to the sideline (cheesy) I would hold L2 until you see your opening.

TIP 2: DO NOT use the jump cut behind the line of scrimmage (L2 and juke behind the LOS). It's a weird animation where your player stops and starts again in a completely different direction.

Instead, if you want to jump cut, use either: L2 and the Left Stick left or right; or let go of L2 for a moment and use JUST the Right Stick Juke. These animations are much better and give you more control (I prefer using L2 and left stick).

TIP 3: When in traffic, keep holding L2 and shifting left and right until you find a hole to put your head down and get a few yards. As an example, I ran a HB Sprint (right side) with S. Jackson and made a cut to my left, (holding LS) evading one tackler as a blocker picked him up. I didn't really have anywhere to run, but shifted my way into a hole and hit R1 to cover up the ball and got a few more yards as I was getting hit from the side.

TIP 4: Slight cuts are essential on plays like pitches and stretches. If you are running parallel or near parallel to the LOS and want to make a slight cut upfield past a blocker, do not jam the LS straight up (as in upfield) because you can sometimes accidentally change direction completely. Instead, go from the LS being at 3:00 to it being at 2:00 or 1:00.

This is just a slight cut and keeps your momentum going, **ASSUMING YOU ARE STILL HOLDING L2 AND NOT PRESSING TURBO**.

NOTE: If you're going to sprint right after the cut because there is an opening, make sure you cut and then hit sprint. If you hit sprint first before you cut it might not go as smooth as possible.

Basically, you need to get out of the mindset of jamming sprint as soon as you get the handoff, and you will be rewarded. Control is the name of the game this year for running the football.

Each run should consist of two phases.

Phase 1 = holding L2, slight cuts, shifting movement, picking your holes, following blockers, finding the opening.

Phase 2 = once you find the opening, sprint and use whatever open field moves are your favorites.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by UMhester04; 08-27-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: Running Tips

Thanks for the tips, I could run easily last year. But this year I've finding it real difficult.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Thanks for this... In the three game that I've played so far I'm averaging less that 2 yards per carry. I think it's mostly just bad habits from past games, but I could use all of the tips I can get.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 08-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #4
MVP

UMhester04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxgoods
Thanks for the tips, I could run easily last year. But this year I've finding it real difficult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
Thanks for this... In the three game that I've played so far I'm averaging less that 2 yards per carry. I think it's mostly just bad habits from past games, but I could use all of the tips I can get.

In past games the thought process was "Mash R2 and sprint straight." Mostly because the blocking was horrible and straight forward.

This year you should really try to take your time and think like a real RB. The blockers will create paths for you by steering the defenders in a direction. It is your job to read which way the "flow" is and cut inside/outside of where the block is going, and fight for a few extra yards as you take the hit from the side.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Thanks for these tips. They are very helpful.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #6
MVP

BL8001's Arena

Great tips. And here are the controls. Xbox one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (369.7 KB, 1696 views)
Old 08-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
MVP

BL8001's Arena

Apologies for 2 posts. On iPad you can only post 1 photo at a time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (270.6 KB, 1644 views)
Old 08-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 12

Most people watch the RB when they run... watch the o - line and read the blocks, be patient and wait for them to develop then hit the hole.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »