Home

FIFA 17 to Frostbite, Madden will follow in next year or two

This is a discussion on FIFA 17 to Frostbite, Madden will follow in next year or two within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2016, 09:27 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: FIFA 17 to Frostbite, Madden will follow in next year or two

It's like replacing an ugly old beat-up, sputtering, broken down 1974 Gremlin running on 2 flat tires, with a brand new 2016 Mercedes.

Madden needs this so badly. They're still using tech from the end of the PS1 era, early PS2 era, so clearly this is a very big deal.

But now we'll see for sure what kind of talent this team has. A ground-up build with total control means no more legacy excuses to fall back on. It's going to be an interesting situation and it's 100% worth the risk. I don't care if that means a barebones game for 2 or 3 years, because the payoff means a modern Madden, finally.

This is very big news.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:29 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
What will this mean though? What could the new engine change?
I'm thinking

Player movement
Sidelines
Dynamic Weather
Better lighting

Just a guess of mine.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:32 PM   #35
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridiron
It's like replacing an ugly old beat-up, sputtering, broken down 1974 Gremlin running on 2 flat tires, with a brand new 2016 Mercedes.

Madden needs this so badly. They're still using tech from the end of the PS1 era, early PS2 era, so clearly this is a very big deal.

But now we'll see for sure what kind of talent this team has. A ground-up build with total control means no more legacy excuses to fall back on. It's going to be an interesting situation and it's 100% worth the risk. I don't care if that means a barebones game for 2 or 3 years, because the payoff means a modern Madden, finally.

This is very big news.

Do you think they could get away with going barebones again after the last time? If that's the case I don't think people would be happy waiting another8- 10 years to get everything back we currently have. Unless the ground up rebuild makes it infinitely easier to add "new"features

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2016, 09:34 PM   #36
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

I don't see this going bare bones again. We should know soon though when we see what FIFA 17 does.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:34 PM   #37
Pro

Lexicon's Arena

OVR: 16

Usually you're going to get stuff like better lighting, cloth physics, better coloring and materials, rendering. This can go a long way for the look of Madden. All the animations, AI, and all of that are not things that I see the new engine improving right off the bat.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:35 PM   #38
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

After going through two "engine" changes with Madden the past 12 years or so, this means nothing, imo, until it proves to mean something. What Frostbite has been able to accomplish with any other game is irrelevant to Madden, just like Ignite currently is. FIFA, COD, etc, are their own games, with their own coding and whatnot, they aren't Madden. I would have gotten excited or optimistic about this had it been announced for M25 but after all the lofty expectations for Ignite, what seems to matter with regard to Madden way more than its' "engine" is the tried and true "priorities". So it's hard for me to see right now what transferring Madden to Frostbite with more potential does, other than graphically, when it clearly hasn't yet tapped into all the potential touted for Ignite, for whatever reason(s).

EDIT: I forgot that any optimism about this for me lies in the hope that the priorities for Madden somehow shift due to EA's push to get into esports. Hopefully that garners a true institutional sea change in building a completely new football game using Frostbite.

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 06-01-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:36 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Do you think they could get away with going barebones again after the last time? If that's the case I don't think people would be happy waiting another8- 10 years to get everything back we currently have. Unless the ground up rebuild makes it infinitely easier to add "new"features

Reading a lot of what Ian and Phil used to say, a lot of the problems with that last time was the tech they were using + the mishaps and time lost that happened trying to implement Havok physics (which didn't make it into the game) + the super short amount of time they were left with to build Madden 06 ground up.

I think the advantage they have now is that they're going with much more modern tech and they have a lot more time to work on it this time around. Not having the same crunch deadline could prevent a barebones situation this time, but I'd be okay with it if it was. I can see the forest for the trees. I want a MODERN football game and I don't care how they have to do it.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:36 PM   #40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid

It won't be bare bones, it's probably why it's taken so long for Fifa to move over, because they were probably working on building everything already in Fifa for Frostbite.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »