Home

Fullbacks/Lineman Refusing To Block

This is a discussion on Fullbacks/Lineman Refusing To Block within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-26-2016, 03:06 AM   #1
Rookie

wutthedeuce's Arena

OVR: 0
Fullbacks/Lineman Refusing To Block

I have seen a few threads on this topic, but I will throw mine in anyways because this is a little ridiculous. In this video I see that I can get a 1v1 with Bell against the other team's safety so I flip the play accordingly. Play never gets that far. Fullback Michael Burton never blocks his assignment, the OLB. Runs right past him. I never run away from the block, in fact I run right behind Burton and he doesn't even touch him. The result, of course, is a Bell fumble and we lose the ball. That's another thing, Bell has a 99 carry rating. What's up with that? I even tuned the fumble slider to decrease them a tiny bit as I had been seeing way too many of them. Burton has a 83 awareness rating and is a mid 80 overall. Why is this still happening? It's not just fullbacks either, lineman do it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hrPCS-q7Q4

Last edited by wutthedeuce; 12-26-2016 at 03:08 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #2
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

Re: Fullbacks/Lineman Refusing To Block

I've had the same exact thing happen. People will most likely come in and say it's due to low run blocking and awareness.

As for the fumble, if that was Bells only fumble for the season then that's fine. Just unfortunate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2016, 11:02 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 19

Go read Clint Oldenburg Tweets, he explains this very topic and what's going on.

Also, 99 doesn't mean 99% of something will/will not occur, it's an increased "chance" of something triggering/occurring, but not in the sense of it meaning a definite outcome.
(this is from some of Clint's Tweets)
Old 12-26-2016, 11:52 AM   #4
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

As khaliib said this is definitely a know issue, and Clint has spoken about it on Twitter with people a lot. Since I'm a run first player who loves to try and use all the runs in the playbook this issue is probably in my top five of programming issues that cause me frustration.

From a coding standpoint, they've just got to find a way to increase the speed of the targeting acquisition by the blockers by like half a second, and/or improve the pre-snap threat assessment hierarchy of targeting choices as well. They need to do it without any warping by the blockers though.

On some plays when every blocker has that extra beat to recognize the right defender to target, running can be a thing of beauty.

When their holiday break is over and they are back to tweeting regularly again, I'm going to send a tweet to Rex, looping in Clint, asking him find the development time to let his boy do some more trench work this cycle. It's clear that Clint know what has to be done, it's just a matter of how far down the priority list this is.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Its very frustrating to say the least. That and the fact that RBs that are controlled by the computer rarely hit the open areas of the field. I've played QB for the 49ers and the Steelers and both Bell and Hyde would consistently run directly for a defender when it made no sense whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2016, 03:00 PM   #6
Pro

mWolfe's Arena

OVR: 7

With so many issues and things still broke in Madden is why I stick with Madden on the PS2.
They have some issues buts it's nothing to the mistakes of this generation of Madden.
Right now I playing Madden 04 with costume sliders for All-Madden and gething great results from the comp with play clock management and play calling on both sides of the ball. 👍
Old 12-26-2016, 04:54 PM   #7
Rookie

That is very annoying...sucks when you feel you picked the correct play with one guy to beat and you have a good blocking TE/OL/FB out in front only for that one guy to be untouched.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #8
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

I saw a response from Clint the other day to a similar play but on a pass play and he said "This is play-action pass - a legacy protection system that I've openly stated is badly in need of an overhaul. Convince Rex to let me do it." I made a post in the impressions thread a while ago with 5 or 6 GIFs of lineman doing just absurdly stupid things and with as common as it is, especially in the pass game, I'd really hope it's high on the priority list going into next year because it is one of those things that definitively ruins the experience. Unfortunately though I think this is one of those things that would take a ton of work and wouldn't be very marketable so the "bang-for-buck" value just isn't there. I really hope I'm wrong though because line play is one of the quintessential aspects of football and still relying on the severely dated and unacceptable line play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »