Home

37 minute interview with Rex Dickson on Madden 18

This is a discussion on 37 minute interview with Rex Dickson on Madden 18 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #17
MVP

jbd345's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: 37 minute interview with Rex Dickson on Madden 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
This pretty much sums it up with a poll from Rex on Twitter:

Should online ranked H2H regs be on competitive or simulation play style?

Currently, competitive 61%, sim 39%.

Rex is talking to a very large and very wide audience when he speaks competitive.
Just proves the point that those that want a real life simulation of football (including myself) are probably 10% or less of the community.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:47 AM   #18
MVP

Toupal's Arena

OVR: 0

As a Franchise player specifically, it scares me with how much he talked about competitive play....

Additionally, at 24:20ish, it bothers me when he is asked in reference to Madden 18 (Paraphrasing) "Is this your pride and joy, is this your baby, do you absolutely love what you and your team put into this game?" And after a pause, his response is "Uh......."

Last edited by Toupal; 05-30-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:07 AM   #19
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbd345
Just proves the point that those that want a real life simulation of football (including myself) are probably 10% or less of the community.
well , maybe a true statement, but i also still believe strongly, a majority of madden people who use twitter are people who play competitive madden, more so than the sim people. I mean just in age range alone, there are more 18-28 year olds who use twitter over 29-40 ( range where you find more sim minded people on average) . Its a disproportionate number i believe of younger people who use twitter than older. I know in our 32 man league, only 2 others,besides me use twitter. Majority of our league is over 27.

Im not saying Sim minded people are not the minority here, but i do think its much different than that poll shows in reality.

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
Old 05-30-2017, 10:11 AM   #20
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Yeah, fixing legacy issues could be huge. At the very least, it's a positive for gameplay. I think it's funny, though, I think I've heard 'we fixed the juke this year' one too many times from Rex, now. . And, I dig Rex. And, I think he's speaking the truth. But, that was something he mentioned for 17. And, for me, the juke was pretty good in 17, so not sure what people are still complaining about, there. My only complaint would be the absolute slowness of the medium/normal juke (no LT, no RT). It was so slow, you'd juke the guy u wanted to, but someone would catch up by the time u finished the juke. So, for me, the animation was a bit long. But, with the RT + juke, that was super fast. But, again, if they want to tighten things up, I won't complain about that. I will say this about the story mode. I could care less about this mode. And, something that truly disappoints me is they will probably rock some CGI in this mode. I would much rather see that in a weekly wrap up show for CFM. And, while some can argue it's not the exact same thing. No, it's not. But it would be the same types of resources, I think. So, that's going to continue to be a sore spot for me as it sounds like it's way down on the 'to do list.' And, it sounds like they still may not have the crowd noise and emotion tuned up? Maybe, next 2-3 years? Ugghh, the crowd noise has been lacking for awhile. I'm still buying the sucker, I buy every year, it is what it is. And, this probably will be the best one, yet. I think the best thing, for me, out of this interview, was the legacy issue cleanup. This really could be huge. So, we'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2017, 10:16 AM   #21
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toupal
As a Franchise player specifically, it scares me with how much he talked about competitive play....

Additionally, at 24:20ish, it bothers me when he is asked in reference to Madden 18 (Paraphrasing) "Is this your pride and joy, is this your baby, do you absolutely love what you and your team put into this game?" And he after a pause, his response is "Uh......."

Lol. Yeah, I noticed this, too. Maybe, he's not happy with the story. When he gets his story mode in, he'll be happy. But, yeah, he didn't say much. And, then, I think he did say, 'this is the best madden to date'. But, there wasn't instant enthusiasm when asked that question. And, if Rex is anything, it's normally 'enthusiastic'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2017, 10:18 AM   #22
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

All the talk of "Competitive Play" makes me a little nervous, but you could see
this is where video games are heading.

Still not a huge fan of the story mode and the fact they actually state its taking away from other aspects stings a little.

Also i found Rex's answer if this is his favorite Madden, he was hesitant to say so, and then even went on to say he liked some things but not others...
Old 05-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #23
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbd345
I just think there is more cross-pollination between sim and competitive than we want to acknowledge. For instance, when I hear the description of competitive mode on user mistakes, I have no problem with that and think that is actually a part of simulation or should be. I'm not for defenders dropping interceptions and the cpu baby sitting guys because they make poor reads/decisions and just because a QB shouldn't throw 10 INT's a game they make my defenders drop it. However, I do want the ratings to mean a lot more so I guess I'm more of a hybrid.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:21 AM   #24
CNFL Commissioner

XtremeDunkz's Arena

OVR: 22

To be fair..he was going on about competitive because he was talking to a competitive streamer and his viewers. Know your audience. Marketing 101. Don't jump of a bridge just yet.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Twitch

Twitter

NFL Green Bay Packers

NBA Philadelphia 76ers

MLB Philladelphia Phillies

NHL Philadelphia Flyers

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »