Home

From defense to nonexistent

This is a discussion on From defense to nonexistent within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2018, 10:37 AM   #9
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: From defense to nonexistent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2win00
I'm not talking about the difficulty. I'm talking about the button versus the right stick. I'm not a fan of the button input on the defensive front
I can appreciate that viewpoint. The way you phrased it before though, you could "wreak havoc" with the stick but now its all timing with the buttons...that made it sound like you missed it being much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
First, it’s a travesty that line interaction is patty cake until you time a button.

Second, I feel like timing AND your momentum vector should play a role (including control of your hands or body angle). Using the right stick to simulate the sumo-aspect of line interaction (hand fighting, dipping, club moves, etc) COMBINED with timing would be ideal.
I would be on board with this. Right now, the big challenge is "which button is it going to tell me to push," which I get like 50/50. The downfall is you start to figure out which move your guy does best and can guess that sooner, and break through the line. It's still not overwhelming in terms of rush, as a user I think I managed 20 sacks in a season with Demarcus Lawrence. So it was higher than "average," but I was using a good DE and the game tends to favor the user.

Typically I use the MLB so it doesn't effect me as much.

I'd enjoy the added challenge of needing to use both buttons and the stick to break free.

Major Boise State fan
Old 07-06-2018, 11:24 AM   #10
Rookie

ijumpedthegun's Arena

I agree with what OP/TC said about line-play to a degree. It seems like Madden 18 line play boils down to a flow chart: 1.) Did you time the button press correctly? 2.) Dice roll for shed; 3.) Either break free or trigger hold.

I'm hoping Madden 20 revamps line play. Things like momentum and angles should play a bigger role in whether or not a lineman is successful. What's funny to me is that, on run plays, it's often beneficial for the DL to fail on the first button press, then succeed in the second once it's recognized that the play is a run play and what direction it's headed in.

Too often I've succeeded on the first block shedding button press, triggered an animation that forces my player to break off in a certain direction, and then the runningback simply blows by him going the other way. The result is multiple sack games from the lineman, but very few actual tackles. The entire system is based on a feast-or-famine dice roll/animation triggering and that to me isn't representative of what it's actually like on the field.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:41 PM   #11
Rookie

I have seen a lot more issues with coverage lately. I run a lot of cover two and my corners refuse to cover the flat and Ive seen many cases of my corner running with the WR like he is in man coverage even though it is zone.

I feel like the biggest issue with the Oline isn't getting sacks, it's consistency. I can get sacks but I cant get consistent pressure. I either get 6 sacks or completely stonewalled. In real football you see a dlineman get a good jump where he doesn't necessarily beat the blocker but he makes the QB have to move and adjust as to where in madden you either just straight up beat the oline or you dont.

I think the right stick would be better than the buttons just because you could use it to control your moves better like if you push down on the right stick its a bullrush or if push the stick to the right/left its a swim move in that direction or 1/2 circle is a spin move, etc. That would give you a lot more control over your rushing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2018, 07:20 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbjay82
I have seen a lot more issues with coverage lately. I run a lot of cover two and my corners refuse to cover the flat and Ive seen many cases of my corner running with the WR like he is in man coverage even though it is zone.

I feel like the biggest issue with the Oline isn't getting sacks, it's consistency. I can get sacks but I cant get consistent pressure. I either get 6 sacks or completely stonewalled. In real football you see a dlineman get a good jump where he doesn't necessarily beat the blocker but he makes the QB have to move and adjust as to where in madden you either just straight up beat the oline or you dont.

I think the right stick would be better than the buttons just because you could use it to control your moves better like if you push down on the right stick its a bullrush or if push the stick to the right/left its a swim move in that direction or 1/2 circle is a spin move, etc. That would give you a lot more control over your rushing.
You're not the only one that feels this way. Playing cover 2 is horrible and it's been like that for at least a few years. Corners would normally play the flats and if no one is in there zone they'd pull back but they don't even do that. The defense does need work like swim moves being used by clicking your right stick left or right with the bull rush clicking your stick down.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:46 AM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbjay82

Route concepts which will flood the deep safety cause the outside CB to convert to man coverage when playing Tampa 2. There are also other ways to preoccupy them, like curl routes from outside receivers when using compressed formations.

Last edited by stinkubus; 07-08-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:11 PM   #14
Rookie

The flats are definitely still a big issue
Old 07-10-2018, 08:03 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaynNite
The flats are definitely still a big issue
Yeah they are. TE & RB are difficult to cover when with the assist on. You know what they're breaking the route off somewhere and when they do it's for a first down.

You would think the flats are covered nope because your corners are backpedaling up the field
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »