Home

Is overtime handled incorrectly?

This is a discussion on Is overtime handled incorrectly? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2018, 08:48 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Is overtime handled incorrectly?

Hi,

I just played my first regular season overtime in M19. The opponent won the coin toss and decided to receive. They scored a FIELD GOAL and the game was over. I lost.

I thought that I would get the ball back. There was no turnover, no interception, no fumble. The receiving team got a field goal in their first possession and the game was over.

EDIT: I should mention that where were still 1:58 minutes on the clock.

Last edited by petz_e; 08-23-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
Banned

Re: Is overtime handled incorrectly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petz_e
Hi,

I just played my first regular season overtime in M19. The opponent won the coin toss and decided to receive. They scored a FIELD GOAL and the game was over. I lost.

I thought that I would get the ball back. There was no turnover, no interception, no fumble. The receiving team got a field goal in their first possession and the game was over.
Something strange happened to me too. I was in OT and got the ball first. This means a touchdown wins and a field goal gives the other team a chance. However I held the ball the entire OT and drove down to the 15 yard line, and called timeout with 1 second on the clock.

I figured I would kick the field goal as time was running out and win because no more time was left. I made the field goal as time ran out and thought I won. Nope, I had to kickoff to the other team and they put 7 minutes back on the clock....
Old 08-23-2018, 09:15 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokewood
Something strange happened to me too. I was in OT and got the ball first. This means a touchdown wins and a field goal gives the other team a chance. However I held the ball the entire OT and drove down to the 15 yard line, and called timeout with 1 second on the clock.

I figured I would kick the field goal as time was running out and win because no more time was left. I made the field goal as time ran out and thought I won. Nope, I had to kickoff to the other team and they put 7 minutes back on the clock....
Yeah, this also makes no sense. They got it wrong then... I hope this gets patched.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:39 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 3

In another thread it was mentioned the NFL rule indicates each team must possess or have the opportunity to possess the ball, so (while I've never seen it) running the overtime clock out without giving the other team a chance to possess the ball and kicking a field goal may trigger added time to give the opponent a chance to possess the ball.

The first situation though losing the toss and giving up a field goal and the game ending is incorrect per the rules. Did you make mention of this in the bug/error thread? Odd again that Smokewood had a similar situation but the game continued but petz-e's game ended on first possession field goals.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach422001
In another thread it was mentioned the NFL rule indicates each team must possess or have the opportunity to possess the ball, so (while I've never seen it) running the overtime clock out without giving the other team a chance to possess the ball and kicking a field goal may trigger added time to give the opponent a chance to possess the ball.

The first situation though losing the toss and giving up a field goal and the game ending is incorrect per the rules. Did you make mention of this in the bug/error thread? Odd again that Smokewood had a similar situation but the game continued but petz-e's game ended on first possession field goals.
That happened to me in Madden 18 as well where I ran out the whole quarter, kicked a field goal, and the game didn't end.

I am also not sure if that is correct or not. The other team is supposed to possess the ball, so it would not surprise me if they actually are supposed to essentially start a new overtime period.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2018, 10:26 AM   #6
Rookie

HakeemDaDream's Arena

OVR: 2

You mean you guys can actually get to overtime?

Old 08-23-2018, 10:56 AM   #7
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Unless a touchdown is scored, each team must possess the ball.

So it was incorrect that they won on a field goal on the first possession. It was not incorrect that they got the ball after the user drained the whole clock and kicked a field goal with the first possession.

From what I can tell, OT has been buggy for sure.

Major Boise State fan
Old 08-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokewood

Wow that’s crazy. Not sim at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »