Home

Old 04-24-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Foul Ball Question

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a tipped ball picked up out of the batter's box a foul ball? I've checked numerous times on replay and the catchers are able to pick up a foul tip out of the batter's box and throw out the runner at first base.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: Foul Ball Question

only when there are 2 strikes.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Foul Ball Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFan01
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a tipped ball picked up out of the batter's box a foul ball? I've checked numerous times on replay and the catchers are able to pick up a foul tip out of the batter's box and throw out the runner at first base.
First off, a "foul tip" actually only refers to a ball that's barely touched by a swung bat, which travels sharply and directly to the catcher's glove (or bare hand... OUCH!), where it ends up caught. Anything else is a foul ball.

If we're talking about balls actually batted into play, there are two things to consider.

#1. Did it hit the batter while he was still in the box? That will always be ruled a foul ball, even if the ball is technically in fair territory, which brings us to...

#2. A significant piece of each batter's box is in fair territory. The foul lines cut right through them, and if it's just a typical batted ball which the batter-runner avoids contact with, only those lines (not the lines of the batter's box) matter for the fair/foul call.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »