Home

Swinging For Power In MLB 2K13

This is a discussion on Swinging For Power In MLB 2K13 within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-13-2013, 01:02 AM   #1
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46
Swinging For Power In MLB 2K13

How exactly are you supposed to time your power swings in this game? I haven't managed to get a lot of good wood on the ball when I've tried and I'm just trying to figure out what the best method is. I've hit three home runs so far, but two of those were just on regular contact swings.

When exactly should I be holding down on the stick to begin my power swing motion?

A)anytime before he throws the ball
B)when he's coming out of his windup
C)after the ball has left the pitchers hand
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: Swinging For Power In MLB 2K13

When you pull back has zero influence on the result. But using the power swing does shorten the hit window and creates a higher risk of pop-ups and ground balls, but with the possible reward of a HR or deep ball to the gap.

Otherwise, the timing is exactly the same as the contact swing.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:21 AM   #3
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Oread
When you pull back has zero influence on the result. But using the power swing does shorten the hit window and creates a higher risk of pop-ups and ground balls, but with the possible reward of a HR or deep ball to the gap.

Otherwise, the timing is exactly the same as the contact swing.
Thanks man. I think all the experimenting I've been doing has just messed me up. Kinda wish there was something in the game that would've explained this, but I guess 2K just likes for you to figure things out on your own.

Last edited by Pappy Knuckles; 03-13-2013 at 01:25 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:35 AM   #4

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

I could be wrong, but I remember back when 2K first added the hit stick (I think it might have been 2k7) the in-game tutorial said to pull back just before the pitcher releases the pitch.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 13

You don't need to pull back all the way either just enough to see him flex his bat.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2013, 01:54 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
I could be wrong, but I remember back when 2K first added the hit stick (I think it might have been 2k7) the in-game tutorial said to pull back just before the pitcher releases the pitch.
In 2K9 they added a slider that allowed you to reduce the step influence, which was the timing of pulling the bat back, to 0. After that they took out the need to step at all. Thats why you don't have to pull back for normal swings anymore.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #7

OVR: 34

When I try to power swing I try to make sure the ball is in my hitter's zone. I find that if I go into the batting scenario with, "I have a power hitter, I need to power sing," I usually get zero results. Not saying you do that but I have in the past. So now I look for the pitcher to miss his zone and try and gain on it.

I also feel the timing of when you hit the ball is key. So, I pull back when I feel like it's a strike and try and time my follow through if it is in my zone.

Last night I got a solid HR with Saltalamachhia where I waited to see if the guy I was playing would pitch to me. His contact isn't too great but his power is. But when he pitched to my zone I was able to get contact. It's a rewarding feeling doing that, rather than stepping up with Ortiz and swinging away.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
Banned

This!

It's why I reserve the power swing to hitter's counts, and with power hitters with 2 outs, no one in scoring position, and less than 2 strikes. In all of these scenarios, the advantage is that you can take a strike! You muscle up with the intention of driving a mistake.

I focus on the zone and pitch I want exclusively in those situations. And yes, sometimes I still get jump on bad pitches.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »