Home

Itbeme23 Sim Sliders - Veteran Hitting/A.S. Classic Pitching & OCD Accurate Strike %!

This is a discussion on Itbeme23 Sim Sliders - Veteran Hitting/A.S. Classic Pitching & OCD Accurate Strike %! within the MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

OVR: 5
Itbeme23 Sim Sliders - Veteran Hitting/A.S. Classic Pitching & OCD Accurate Strike %!

ITBEME23’S SIM SLIDERS - FINAL 5.9.14

Batting and Baserunning:

Hitting Difficulty: Veteran
Hitting Interface Timing
Hitting View: Catcher Default
Button Interface: Classic
Guess Pitch: Off
Baserunner Interface: Default
Bassrunning Decisions: Assist
Sliding Decisions: Assist
Runner Window: On

Pitching:

Pitching Difficulty: All-Star
Pitching Interface: Classic
Pitching View: Broadcast
Pitching Ball Marker: Fade
Pitch Callout: Full
Pitch Confidence: On
Pitch Delay: Normal
API: On

Fielding
Throwing Interface: Pure Analog (User-Preference)
Throwing Meter: Off
Throwing Difficulty: All-Star (non applicable with meter off)
Throwing Decision: Off
Throw Cancelling: On
Fielding Decision: Auto
Defensive Shift: Auto
All Indicators Off
Fielding View Offense: Broadcast
Fielding View Defense: Broadcast

General

Strike Zone: Off
Hot Zones: Off
Swing/Pitch Analysis: On
Balks: On
Warm Up Pitchers: On
Umpire Balls and Strikes: Variable
Umpire Close Plays: On
Check Swing Appeals: On
Injuries: On
Ejections: On

Human Sliders:

Human Contact - 3
Human Power -3
Human Timing -5
Stride Difficulty - 5
Human Foul Frequency - 5
Human Solid Hits - 6
Human Starter Stamina - 4
Human Reliever Stamina - 2
Human Pitcher Control - 2
Human Pitcher Consistency - 2

CPU Sliders:

CPU Contact - 3
CPU Power - 5
CPU Timing - 5
CPU Foul Frequency - 6
CPU Solid Hits - 7
CPU Starter Stamina - 4
CPU Reliever Stamina - 2
CPU Pitcher Control - 2
CPU Pitcher Consistency - 2
CPU Strike Frequency - 0
CPU Manager Hook - 3
CPU Pickoffs - 4

Pitch Speed - 8 (User-Preference)
Fielding Errors - 6
Throwing Errors - 5
Fielder Run Speed - 4
Fielder Reaction - 6
Fielder Arm Strength - 4
Baserunner Speed - 5
Baserunner Steal Ability - 8
Baserunner Steal Frequency - 5
Wind - 5
Injuries - 8

Human Slider Explanations:

In my testing, I’ve found that the hitting sliders for both the User and CPU are different from last year. With Veteran,some of the hitting sliders need to be toned down for a realistic/simulation experience. However, unlike last year, Iactually RAISED Solid Hits in order to balance out the offense. In my testing (which stands at 25 games, so far), I found that the User offense greatly suffers with Solid Hits at anything lower than default.

Contact– 3

The main reason this slider is at 3 is to help with the CPU strikeout rates. I found that anything above 3 leads to very few user strikeouts. I don’t like striking out by any means, but it’s a necessary part of baseball, especially if you’re shooting for a sim experience. User strikeout rate is greatly affected by User skill, but I’m averaging anywhere from 5-8 strikeouts per game, depending on the CPU pitcher.

Power– 3

With Power and Solid Hits at default, every ball was jumping off the bat, resulting in many more extra base hits and HRs than there should be per game. Power at 3 is providing extra base hits at arealistic clip. There will be games where you’re spraying singles all over the yard, and there will be games where your offense explodes.

Timing– 5

I haven’t found a reason to change Human Timing from default.

Stride Difficulty – 5 (Non-Applicable due to not using Analog Hitting Interface)

Foul Frequency – 5

My goal in lowering User Contact was to increase the CPU strikeout rate. However, lowering the Contact while having User Foul Frequency below default (in my early testing, I had it at 3 or 4)consistently resulted in over 10 user strikeouts per game, regardless of the CPU pitcher. With Foul Frequency at 5, I’ve found that the CPU still strikes out the User at a realistic clip, and the User will still occasionally have those 10 pitch battles with the CPU pitcher.

Solid Hits – 6

In all the years I’ve been playing this game, I’ve found that this slider has the most influence on hit totals and batting average. With the decrease in User Power and the small increase in Solid Hits, I’ve been seeing realistic averages in hits and batting average. I’ve had games where I’ve only had a few singles, and I’ve had games where my offense has exploded for double-digit hits AND runs. I’m seeing areally good variety right now.

Starter Stamina – 4
Releiver Stamina – 2

The slider that I placed more focus on was Starter Stamina. At default, I had two different pitchers throw complete games against me with over 130 pitches (I think Jared Weaver threw 142 pitches in 9 innings). To me, that’s just not realistic. By decreasing Starter Stamina to 4, I’ve found that starting pitchers tend to get tired around the 90-95 pitch range. Once the starter is in the 100-105 pitch range, then the manager pulls him, unless he's on a roll with his confidence super high. That is pretty close to what happens in real life.

Reliever Stamina is the same as my set from last year. With the slider at 2, middle relievers are able to throw multiple innings, if they have a good outing. Most of the time, it’s a maximum of two innings; but on occasion, I’ve seen the CPU managers leave the reliever in for a third inning.

Pitcher Control – 2
Pitcher Consistency – 2

I initially started out on HOF pitching difficulty this year, with the hopes of an additional challenge. While it was challenging, it wasn’t realistic. I’ve found the results with Control and Consistency at 2 to be very realistic. Every time I think I’m starting to dominate,and consider changing the sliders, the CPU ends up having a great offensive performance. I’m getting the challenge, variety, and realistic experience I was looking for with both sliders at 2.

CPU Slider Explanations:

Contact– 3

There are two reasons why I have this slider at 3. Number one: to get realistic CPU strikeout rates. Number two: to decrease the CPU’s over-aggressiveness at the plate. At default, I found that the CPU was swinging at a lot of first pitches and second pitches. It didn’t matter if the pitch was a meatball or if it was a borderline strike on the corner, they were just free swinging atthe plate. Not only was this affecting User strike percentages, but it was also negatively affecting User pitch counts. I was constantly having my starters get into the later innings with only 65-70 pitches, and that just wasn’ trealistic. My theory is because of User Pitcher Control & Consistency being on the low side (2), the CPU was being more aggressive early in the count.

Power– 5

I initially had thoughts of decreasing this slider from default, but I just haven’t seen enough to warrant doing so. Hard hit balls don’t seem to be jumping off the bat at unrealistic rate, and hit variety is still very good. I see dribblers, slow-rollers through the hole, bloopers off the end of the bat, line drive base hits, and everything in between with CPU Power at default.

Timing– 5

I haven’t found a reason to change this slider from default.

Foul Frequency – 6

I increased this slider to work in conjunction with the decrease in CPU Contact. I wanted to get realistic strikeout rates, but I still wanted there to be that occasional 10-pitch battle with the User pitcher.

Solid Hits – 7

See explanation on User Side.

I’ve come up with these values so that the CPU Contact, Foul Frequency, and Solid Hits sliders are all working in conjunction with each other.

CPU Pitcher Control - 2
CPU Pitcher Consistency - 2
CPU Strike Frequency – 0

See explanation from initial write-up. My obsession with accurate strike percentages still stands. These are the same values that I used from my set from last year, and I haven’t found a reason to deviate from them.

Manager Hook – 3

This is the same value as I used last year. At default, I found that the CPU manager would pull their starter too early, more times than not. The CPU could be pitching a great game, allowing one run through 6 innings, and as soon as they allow a base runner, the CPU manager would remove them from the game(regardless of pitch count). With the slider at 3, this doesn’t happen nearly as often, although there will be anoccasional moment where the CPU makes a decision that will leave you scratching your head. However, it doesn’t happen enough to warrant a slider change.

Feedback and/or boxscores and stats would be greatly appreciated!

Here's to another great year of The Show!
Cheers!

Last edited by itbeme23; 05-28-2014 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Lower HUM Contact/raised Foul Ball Freq. Lowered CPU Contact.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #2
Banned

Jibbler's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: ITBEME23'S SIM SLIDERS - FOCUS ON FIRST PITCH STRIKE PERCENTAGE

Will try them out tonight intersting that you have CPU strike Freq down to 0.. I have noticed too that its always a stirke out
Old 04-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

Re: ITBEME23'S SIM SLIDERS - FOCUS ON FIRST PITCH STRIKE PERCENTAGE

Arbitrary BUMP....

I see that this thread has a some views, but maybe not so many takers. That's okay. Whenever you have guys like Armor/Marino & TNK coming up with slider sets every season, you gain a comfortability. That's cool, because I'm one of those guys too. However, I'm not a rookie when it comes to slider making. I've released a set for The Show last season, as well as re-rated rosters and slider sets for Madden back in the day.

While some of my numbers may seem odd (in comparison to a guy like Armor's), trust me when I say that any adjustment that I make to a slider has a very specific statistical goal in mind. I'm not one of those guys who just tweaks a slider for the sake of tweaking it. And I don't make adjustments without testing for several games beforehand. Like Armor says, it's all about sample size, and the only way to nail down a set is by testing, testing, and MORE testing.

So, while I may have the rep' of Armor or TNK, I'd like to think I know what I'm doing.

I'm updating the first post with a couple of small adjustments....for anybody that might be curious and want to try them out.

Peace.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #4
MVP

ultimatefighter's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Itbeme23 Sim Sliders - Veteran Hitting/A.S. Classic Pitching & OCD Accurate Strik

Hey man, I used your sliders last year with my Rockies even though your a Dodgers fan lol and enjoyed them a lot gonna use yours again. Just waiting for the PS4 version.

Are you using quick counts? I really liked that feature being added this year and will probably use it.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #5
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

Re: Itbeme23 Sim Sliders - Veteran Hitting/A.S. Classic Pitching & OCD Accurate Strik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatefighter
Hey man, I used your sliders last year with my Rockies even though your a Dodgers fan lol and enjoyed them a lot gonna use yours again. Just waiting for the PS4 version.

Are you using quick counts? I really liked that feature being added this year and will probably use it.

Hey, man. Nice to see you back!!! Yeah, I actually had a PS4, but ended up getting rid of it because I needed the cash. I'll probably get one sometime this summer, and get The Show for it as well. I know it's going to look SICK. I had NBA 2K14 for the PS4, and if The Show tops that, it might be the best looking sports game of all time!!!

As far as the sliders go, I'm still in the testing phase. I'm playing with a few ideas right now. Like I said earlier, my CPU pitching sliders/stats are solid right now, so I'm not really worried about that. What I'm really focused on right now are the CPU hitting sliders. I've found that they're very different from last year's game, and I haven't quite found the right combo just yet to get the results that I'm looking for. My main issue from my testing so far has been the CPU's over-aggressiveness at the plate earlier in the count. Seems like they're swinging at anything that's even close to the zone, which is affecting not only user first strike percentage, but also the overall pitch count as well. I just pitched a one-hit complete game shut out with Ryu right now, and it's kind of frustrating. I'm still looking for the balance I want. Work in progress...

As far as Quick Counts go, I don't know when I'm going to dive into that. My focus right now is getting my sliders right, so I can use them in my franchise. I swear that I'm going to finish a 162 game season this year. LOL. I think QC is a cool feature, but from what I've read in other threads, it seems like they're going to need a completely different set of sliders separate from regular play sliders. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Good to see you back on the thread, bro. Might just be me and you using these sliders!!! LOL

Cheers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2014, 06:10 AM   #6
MVP

ultimatefighter's Arena

OVR: 7

Haha I think last year it was mostly us and then some more jumped in tryin em out. How have the walks been for you so far? Every year the thing that always gets to me is no matter how patient I am, just cant get enough walks for stats, always the last in the entire Majors by a mile lol That was another reason besides time, I was really excited about quick counts.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 8

I going to give these a try. Question though, are they available in the Slider Vault. i like to download them. If not that ok.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #8
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatefighter
Haha I think last year it was mostly us and then some more jumped in tryin em out. How have the walks been for you so far? Every year the thing that always gets to me is no matter how patient I am, just cant get enough walks for stats, always the last in the entire Majors by a mile lol That was another reason besides time, I was really excited about quick counts.
Ahh, walks....LOL. I've been getting a little bit better, I'm starting to bring my average up to 2-3 per game this year. Last year, I was lucky enough to get one walk per game. Like I said, I'm a pretty patient hitter, but once I get into those full counts, I get a little jumpy in the box, and I start swinging at junk. I've noticed that I'm giving away at least 2 walks per game this year because I can't hold up on pitches out of the zone. I'm trying to get better though!!! From what I've heard, QC definitely helps with walks, but it throws all other stats out of whack, which is why QC games are probably going to require their own dedicated slider set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1
I going to give these a try. Question though, are they available in the Slider Vault. i like to download them. If not that ok.
Thanks for giving them a shot, Bill. I'll upload them to the vault now, including my latest updates. Like I said earlier, I try not to make changes to sliders without testing them for at least a few games, but I have an idea that might help with the CPU over-agressiveness at the plate, and with user pitch counts. The more people that I have testing, the faster I can see if it's working.

Cheers!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders »